Author Topic: A friend took a brute  (Read 1432 times)

Offline Two Bears

• Trade Count: (10)
  • A Real Regular
A friend took a brute
« on: November 18, 2006, 07:21:08 PM »
I just saw the rack of my friends bow kill today and all I can say is HOLY CRAP THAT IS HUGE !

He arrowed this giant at 8 yards, it has 19 scoreable points and if 2 matching tines were not broke off at the beam it would have scored over 200"
He has several pictures of this buck with the 2 missing tines on the rack, but as it is it still scores 196 + inches

It is a 6X7 with a split brow and has a few xtra points, If it had the 2 missing points it would have been a 7X8 frame with stickers !

When he emails me the pictures I will post them for you.
HAVING A LIBERAL ALONG IS LIKE LOSING 2 GOOD MEN

Offline Two Bears

• A Real Regular
Re: A friend took a brute
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 05:54:05 AM »
Here is a picture of "Kong"

Offline Siskiyou

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006, 08:18:22 AM »
How much did this buck wieght?  Nice horns and a huge body.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline Don Fischer

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2006, 08:27:52 AM »
Is your friend very small or is that deer really that big? Look's like he shot a cow with a whitetail rack!
:wink: Even a blind squrrel find's an acorn sometime's![/quote]

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2006, 10:53:33 AM »
Congrats to him! that is a once in a lifetime deer. What state are you guys hunting in?
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2006, 11:39:23 AM »
Nice buck!!How wide is it?And taking him with a bow,at 8 yards,man thats great!
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline Two Bears

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2006, 01:45:28 PM »
Is your friend very small or is that deer really that big? Look's like he shot a cow with a whitetail rack!

He was hunting in Wisconsin and in a zone where he had to shoot a doe first before you can take a buck...Wouldn't it suck to have this size of a buck walk under your stand and you have not taken a doe yet?  Fortunately Jeff had taken a doe earlier in the week and he even cleaned up the arrow that he shot the doe with made sure that it was straight and then replaced the blades in the broadhead and took this "Kong" with the same arrow.

Not sure what the spread is but after looking at it I would guess about 21" but I can find out.

Jeff is about 175lbs I guess but the Mathews MQ1 that he shot it with is ab out 37-38" long to give you an idea as to the size of this deer...It is huge and I would think that it would be well over 200lbs, But I will talk to jeff and see if they weighed it. And maybe he has the head , neck and eye to nose measurements as well.

Offline lewdogg21

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2006, 08:13:37 AM »

Whitetail + Cow = Cowtail

Congrats!

Offline Don Fischer

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2006, 09:42:25 AM »
Any guess's on the weight? I'm guessing well over 300#, maybe 350#.

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2006, 10:00:32 AM »

I hunt in Wisconsin also and I can tell you for a fact that that deer will not weigh 300.  It is a very big deer with a great high scoring rack but I would put it at about 200# to maybe 220# dressed.  300# animals are very, very few and far between in the states. I'm not sure how you guys weigh animals(guts in or out), but we always do it guts out.  For live weight you can add about 40# to the gutted on a good animal. If you notice he is sitting back away from the deer w/ his arms practically straight away from him, which makes the animal look bigger.  Also the bow looks huge, and if you've ever picked up a mathews you know that they are quite small.  Not nocking him or the animal.  That is how you should take a picture of a great animal like that.  If that score is correct he will be sitting quite high on the All-Time list for archery in Wisconsin, but I am assuming the 196 is gross wet score.
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

Offline .308sniper

• Contributor
  • happiness is a steaming gut pile.
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2006, 12:51:01 PM »
That is a huge deer!! Tell your friend Congrats!
have fun! get it done with a 308.

Offline Two Bears

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2006, 08:17:06 PM »

I hunt in Wisconsin also and I can tell you for a fact that that deer will not weigh 300.  It is a very big deer with a great high scoring rack but I would put it at about 200# to maybe 220# dressed.  300# animals are very, very few and far between in the states. I'm not sure how you guys weigh animals(guts in or out), but we always do it guts out.  For live weight you can add about 40# to the gutted on a good animal. If you notice he is sitting back away from the deer w/ his arms practically straight away from him, which makes the animal look bigger.  Also the bow looks huge, and if you've ever picked up a mathews you know that they are quite small.  Not nocking him or the animal.  That is how you should take a picture of a great animal like that.  If that score is correct he will be sitting quite high on the All-Time list for archery in Wisconsin, but I am assuming the 196 is gross wet score.

All fairness to the deer size wise take another look at that bow it is a mathews, but an old one when they were larger MQ1  is the model and I think that they are about 38" axel to axel, So I would think that this deer would be closer to 240 dressed. I will call Jeff and see what and if they weigh the deer and what they thought it would weigh.

His arm is not straight out, it is down and bent at the elbow...That deer is a bruiser

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2006, 04:20:17 AM »

His arm is not straight out, it is down and bent at the elbow...That deer is a bruiser

Yeah, no kidding its a bruiser!  Thats not what I was getting at.  Just that its not 300 dressed.
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

Offline Don Fischer

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2006, 06:08:50 PM »
The heaviest deer I know of that I shot was 237# after 5 days of hanging with the hide off and the bottom of the legs off. Game biologist estimated the live weight at over 300#. That deer here makes mine look like a fawn!

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2006, 08:38:24 AM »
That deer here makes mine look like a fawn!

Well then it must be over 900lbs then.

Look as how big around those arrows look, they look like lincoln logs. Again not nocking it, awesome animal, but I would bet my right nut that it didn't weigh over 300lbs dressed.  Just great photography.
Buckskin