Author Topic: ?GUN SAFES?  (Read 753 times)

Offline CharlieinKansas

• Trade Count: (0)
?GUN SAFES?
« on: November 19, 2006, 06:42:12 AM »
 I am looking to buy a gun safe to hold rifles and pistols. Can't spend but about 800.00, does anybody have any personal recommendations for a quality safe in that price range? Thanks
Beware of the man whom owns but one rifle, He more than likely knows how to use it.

Offline hardertr

• A Real Regular
Re: ?GUN SAFES?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 10:28:55 AM »
How big of a safe are you looking for?  A lot of rifles...a lot of pistols...a lot of both??
It's pretty hard to beat the Winchester safe Wal-mart carries. 

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?catg=535&item=152836&prDeTab=2#A

It's made by Granite Security out of Ft. Worth, and is the same safe Cabela's sells under their name.  IF you can get WM to locate one, they are usually under $600.  I was on a "waiting list" for almost a month before they were able to get me one.
The problem with troubleshooting is....sometimes it shoots back!

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006, 02:04:00 PM »
A friend of mine just bought one of those wm safes. It's pretty nice and he had the brains to hire a couple of local kids to get it in the house.
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 02:44:35 AM »
I purchased two guns safes and my Fiance came with her own (love that gal).  They cost about $75 each and you put them together, then bolt them to the wall and the floor (they ain't goin' nowhere).  The hold about 7 rifles and a couple fo pistols each and are well worth the money for the peace of mind they give you. 

I had to drill one of the locks out and it took me about a half hour with a hardened drill bit - I cannot imagine someone busting into my place and trying to force one of them open or rip one off the wall or floor.  I have friends with some very expensive and very heavy 'impervious to anything' safes and I don't see where they have anything more going for them than with my less expensive safes.  They are all truly a deterent and if you place them somewhere difficult to deal with (closet, basement, attic, etc.) for an intruder even the lesser expensive safes will have served their purpose. 

In addition, I have home-owners insurance with a rider that covers a goodly part of my 'gatherings' and feel both well protected and well covered.  HTH and good luck.  Mikey.

Offline oso45-70

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 02:07:26 PM »
I am looking to buy a gun safe to hold rifles and pistols. Can't spend but about 800.00, does anybody have any personal recommendations for a quality safe in that price range? Thanks

Charlie, I have the Browning Silver series and by stuffing you cn get at least 20 rifles in it and arrange the top shelf to hold 20 or more  handguns. I also have a trunk like steel box that holds about 30 rifles in their cases, Very heavy and strong....Joe....
LIFE NRA BENEFACTOR
LEAA LIFE MEMBER
GOA MEMBER
CCKBA MEMBER
AF & AM
NAHC LIFE
NMSSA MEMBER
ATA MEMBER

Profanity is the crutch of a crippled brain