Author Topic: Huge Deer  (Read 943 times)

Offline kymac

• Trade Count: (0)
Huge Deer
« on: November 19, 2006, 01:10:41 PM »
I live in Central Kentucky about a mile from Mammoth Cave National Park.A Amish kid shot this deer on a farm next to mine during muzzle loading season.It scored 249 1/2 and his cousin told me that Cabela's has offered to buy the head..........

There are 3 things in life you can''t run from....
1)God
2)death
3)heartbreak

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Huge Deer
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 05:53:11 PM »
That has got to be at least story #20 I've heard about that buck. I wonder if the truth will ever surface about it. I've heard of at least three different states it was shot in and have seen a photo with an older man who was supposed to be Amish but which I'd bet isn't who was supposed to be the shooter.

I'm beginning to think it's a high fence buck that the shooter is trying to hide the real story on so they can claim it for the record books.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline kymac

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 01:07:24 AM »
 I'm not sure about all the stories you have heard but  I know the family personally .This is where the buck was shot,100% positive . 
1)God
2)death
3)heartbreak

Offline upnorth

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2006, 05:26:22 PM »
A short story was posted in the current issue of a hunting magazine about this buck. A local D.N.R. officer is posing with the buck, as the shooter is an older amish fella, and they do not believe in having their picture taken.
you wanna take my guns? go ahead, it's your arm!

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2006, 05:39:39 PM »
See what I mean? One more story about it that isn't exactly like any of the others. BUT the photo I saw very well might have been that DNR guy as for sure he wasn't Amish. But the story you heard/read Upnorth said older Amish guy and Kymac says it was actually an Amish youth that shot the buck.

I'm sure confused by all the stories surrounding the buck but it seems all big bucks such as this have such mystery surrounding them.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline upnorth

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2006, 09:26:21 AM »
I'm like you Graybeard.. i don't belive any of the stories on the internet. The story is in the Dec.2006 issue of North American Whitetail, pg.13.says the hunter is John Schmucker, an amish resident who lives in Peebles, Ohio. He was hunting with a horton crossbow. The Ohio Fish and game officer  from district 5 is officer Tim Schlater. He stopped buy to inspect the animal, and as it says in the story, since the shooter is amish, he's not allowed to be in the picture. The officer graciously offered to pose with the buck. the deer has 36 points, main frame 6x6, greened at 295 7/8. Like you Graybeard, I tend to believe it a whole lot more when it's in print.The age of the hunter is not stated in the article.
you wanna take my guns? go ahead, it's your arm!

Offline kymac

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2006, 11:24:36 AM »
We are talking about two different deer.The deer below is the Ohio deer ya are talking about.The one I posted is "clearly " a different deer. The Amish kid that shot the deer here in Ky is in his early 20's(I call him a kid because I've known him since he was small).Not trying to cause a stink but like I said I know the family.Just posted the pic because I thought people would like to see.
1)God
2)death
3)heartbreak

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2006, 06:32:33 PM »
I believe you're right KYMac, I think I was confusing the one you posted with a different one. That's the photo I've seen so many different stories about not the one you posted at the top. I mistakenly thought it was just a different pose of same but now seeing the other again it definitely ain't.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2006, 01:46:24 AM »
I would loved to have shot either of them bucks.  :o
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA