Author Topic: Effective range of 20 ga. Slug Guns....  (Read 856 times)

Offline MI.sabot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Effective range of 20 ga. Slug Guns....
« on: November 20, 2006, 03:02:21 PM »
....Assuming one is shooting a 20 ga with a rifled slug barrel. (I'm particularly interested to hear from anyone shooting an USH), and
....Assuming that one has gone to the range and practiced with said 20 ga. to determine what sabot(s) consistently shoots the best, then
....What is the farthest range you have either harvested a deer or would be confident in responsibly harvesting a deer with a 20 ga having done your due diligence at the range?, and then
....What sabot did you or would you use at this distance?

These questions are not meant to promote the claims of any high-velocity, long-range marketing campaigns but rather to querry responsible, ethical deer hunters who shoot 20 ga. rifled slug guns!

I have at my disposal both a 12 ga. USH and a 20 ga USH. The 12 ga. has already bang-flopped a deer this year as it did last year. I know what it can do. I am now entertaining using the 20 ga. for the remainder of the season and possibly going forward. I'm confident in the 20 gauge's accuracy. I'm less comfortable with the 20 ga. knock-down, stay-down power. This is only due to my inexperience and not knowing anyone who personally uses one. Before I possibly dispose of the 12 ga. or go into the field with the 20, I 'd like to hear from those who have been successful using a 20 ga. to gain a better perspective at what distances they are effective to and what sabots were used at those distances.

Thanks,
H&R Ultra Slug Hunter (12 ga.)
NEF SS Sidekick Muzzleloader (50 cal.)
Remington 870 Express (12 ga.)
Stevens 311-H SxS (20 ga.)
CZ 452 American (22lr)

Offline 45/70fan

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Contributor
Re: Effective range of 20 ga. Slug Guns....
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 03:57:04 AM »
Have no fear you'll be fine with the 20ga. My bro-inlaw has a 20ga USH and we have each gotten a deer with it this year. Mine was shot at 100yds, his at about 125yds. Neither deer went more than 10 yds, tho his shot did not exit, it stopped just shy. We were shooting Remington copper solids. At 100 yards 2 shots usually touch and the 3rd one opens the group to about 1-1/2" to 2". I wouldn't hesitate at 150 yard shot.

Offline mspaci

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
Re: Effective range of 20 ga. Slug Guns....
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 08:08:21 AM »
149 is my long but others have gone further.  Mike