Author Topic: should a bullet exit an animal or not??  (Read 4577 times)

Offline jhm

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: should a bullet exit an animal or not??
« Reply #60 on: December 30, 2006, 09:39:56 AM »
I used to shoot competitive trap and a daily shooting of 500 trap loads wasnt unusual and here is about how it went for as far as accuracy went you started off missing a few then you would run several rounds perfect then it all would get progressively WORSE, and there wasnt anything wrong with the shells, shotgun, traps, it was the shooter breaking down even with a padded vest, you get hit several times and your body or anyones body will eventually let you know it isnt happy.  JIM

Offline gt2003

« Reply #61 on: December 30, 2006, 03:32:21 PM »
I've only read page 1 but I've got to reply to this one and give some personal experiences.  Rifle hunting hasn't ever been a problem for me.  If the shot is good, I've been lucky enough to recover the deer in a short distance.  I've shot deer with my 7mm and with a friends 30-30.  Any bullets that I've found have expanded extremely well and I feel have done sufficient damage to kill the animal quickly and humanely.  Now, from personal experience, muzzleloading is where my problems began.  For those that have heard the story, I apologize for repeating but feel its necessary.  When i began muzzleloading I shot 90 grains pyrodex RS and a 300 grain Hornady XTP bullet.  Incredible accuracy.  But, I shot 3 deer and never found any of them.  I could find blood for maybe 50 feet and then it was GONE.  I was to the point of giving up muzzleloading until I changed to an all lead bullet upon the advice of those here.  So, I don't think a pass through is always the solution.  Unless there is adequate bullet expansion (also referred to as energy transfer) it doesn't do much good to have complete pass throughs.  With the bullets I'm shooting through my muzzleloader now I've recovered 2 of them and the other passed through.  They did so much damage that the animal either dropped dead or went a maximum of 50 yards.  So, I lean towards the thought of the bullet expanding and transferring its energy inside the animal.  With the Hornady XTP's, the bullets penetrated completely I'm sure.  However, they never expanded so didn't do much damage.  I'm sure the deer ran forever before dying.  I currently shoot a 220 grain dead center ML bullet and only 80 grains of 777 powder.  I live in eastern Oklahoma so my shots are generally much less than 100 yards.  Just my experience, but for me, bullet expansion inside the animal is what is important.  See ya, Greg

Offline TxRattler

« Reply #62 on: January 01, 2007, 06:10:04 AM »
, but for me, bullet expansion inside the animal is what is important.  See ya, Greg

Bingo !  People read to much on energy values in balistic tables.  Most bullets are designed to expand the best between 2200 and 2700 fps. The size of the hole and trauma to internals is what kills.
Magnums offer no more killing power than their little brother, only the ability to deliver adequate bullet expansion at farther distances. 

Offline old coach

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2007, 02:14:21 PM »
I shot 4 deer this season with a 243. I handload using a Hornady 87 grn V-Max.
#1- 90 lb. doe @ 126 yds(lasered) ran 50yds fast then fell in field
#2- 75 lb doe @135 yds ran 100yds fell in pines out of field
#3- 165 lb 9 pt @ 100 yds ran 100 yds stopped for less than 1 minute ran 10 yds then fell.
#4- 85 lb doe @ 130 yds bang flop
All pass thru double lung shots, same rifle, same bullet, same load. All shots broadside behind shoulder
All exit holes about the size of a golf ball.
I have killed over 50 deer with this combo.
I have never lost a deer shot with a 243. I shot a doe last year with a 45-70  350 hp handload @ 50 yds, she fell at the shot, laid there for 5 min then got up and walked away. Huge amt. blood on the ground, good trail blood til she hit the swamp. Found 3 days later maybe 1/4 mile from shot. Bullet went thru, huge exit hole.

Offline JHT

• Avid Poster
« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2007, 10:00:55 PM »
Many folks are concerned with developing higher and higher bullet speeds.  One reason for this is that with any given bullet weight an increase in bullet speed will result in higher foot pounds of energy.  The more energy delivered to the animal the more damage that will be done to that animal.  With that said, it should be noted that if a bullet exits the animal not all of the energy that the bullets is carrying will be transferred to the animal.  Upon exiting the animal the bullet will transfer the remaining energy, the energy not spent in the animal, to the remainder of its travel through the atmosphere and/or into whatever it then strikes.  There are several things other than energy alone that will determine if a bullet will exit the animal i.e. bone impact, thickness of the hide, and other factors.

Thus, it may seem that the ideal situation would be for the bullet not to exit the animal.  This may not be so, if the animal is not put down by the bullet strike the lack of an exit wound will naturally result in less blood loss.  This may extend the animal's life thus allowing the animal a chance to evade the hunter and result in the loss of the animal.  Additionally, the lack of an exit wound will likely produce a less effective blood trail for the hunter to follow, again making tracking a more difficult task.

The final answer in my opinion is that a "correct answer" that works 100% of the time does not exist.  Each hunting situation is somewhat unique and what is best in one situation may or may not be best in another hunting situation.  Regards,

JHT
"Things will get done little by small."  ---  Joseph J. Venturo Sr.  ---  Joseph was my father-in-law, while he was not a formally educated man he certainly and without doubt was a very smart man, and a man who loved his children.

Offline deltecs

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #65 on: April 15, 2007, 07:54:53 PM »
Gee, I think this post answers a few others I've read regarding the differences between frontal cross section punch and bullet energy levels.  Here we have the opinion that the bullet should exit but expand leaving a large wound channel.  From the post then, it logically follows that the bullet with the larger cross sectional area hits harder since it is transmitting energy faster. Yet this same bullet must be constructed heavy enough to stay together and exit for a blood trail and large exit wound.  Then we have to add to that this bullet must do this from any angle so those going away shots have a blood trail to follow, expecting the bullet to completely travel through 2' or more before reaching the boiler room.  Then we have to have enough velocity to make sure this going away shot esits to accomplish our goal.  Wait a minute, please.  If you are going to use magnum velocity on broadside shots, then we better learn to use premium bullets, as the others are too frangible.  If my rifle has the capability of shooting broadside through the ribs of a 150 lb deer at 150 yds with the bullet opening a good wound channel, it is good enough for me to hunt with.  The bullet is heavy enough to penetrate on going away shots into the boiler room, but may not exit.  If I hit bone, chances are it is heavy enough constructed to penetrate into the vitals.  Will it exit. ?/?? Maybe.  But probably not.  I'd much rather have it than one that never exited and found only shrapnel, yet the deer seemed to die instantly.
Greg lost his battle with cancer last week on April 2nd 2009. RIP Greg. We miss you.

Greg
deltecs
Detente: An armed citizenry versus a liberal society
Opinion(s) are expressly mine alone and do not necessarily agree with those of GB or GBO mgmt.

Offline *ROCK-MAN*

• Avid Poster
« Reply #66 on: June 02, 2007, 10:56:57 AM »
O.K Where's tha guy that started this post?He outta get a medal.Man talk about your difference of opinions.
Flinch? I shot a friend of mines 338 or whatever it was at the range the other day off of sandbags.I would swear that it scooted me back in my chair.I am by no means a small fellow.He was handin me another round when I handed him back the rifle and told him he had lost his sanity.I shoot a 30-06,I shot his sons 300win mag same day and no problem but if someone's going to tell me that there was not much difference in recoil between them and the 338 I'll call them out.Would I have flinched if I'd shot it again?You can bet your bottom dollar I would have.His first shot at an animal was an axis buck at 75 yards.He couldn't believe it cause it just kept on walkin like he'd missed.About ten steps later it just fell over.Hmmmmmmmmm
To much speed?Not enough energy?Back to the old drawing board.lol
Walk softly,keep the wind in your face and watch your backtrail.

Offline GeorgiaTrader

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #67 on: June 06, 2007, 12:20:42 PM »
Exit without a doubt!

Offline TNrifleman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #68 on: July 01, 2007, 12:40:02 PM »
Two holes. I have long preferred two holes. The game bullet should enter and exit.

Offline merhunts

• Hunt like your hungry
« Reply #69 on: July 03, 2007, 06:32:12 AM »
If shot placement is so important than why not get good enough with what ever your shooting and shoot them in the spine. You sever the spinal cord the deer goes down period. The only problem is you can't hit the spine every time. I never have liked a heart shot. I have had better luck from lung shots. If they can't breathe they die. And they don't run as far as heart shots. What makes a deer with a blown out heart run so far anyway, it is beyond me. And as far as having enough gun, what ever you are shooting, 22 hornet or a .500 SW if you put it through the lungs you have a dead deer. And they usually will not run very far. Just my opinion from my experience. I'm not trying to prove anyone wrong. As far as the bullet exiting I would prefer it. From my experience it leaves a better blood trail. And a double lung shot sprays blood everywhere. The lung shot also give you a bigger target. If you don't like a lung shot, than take out both their front legs and they don't go far either. As far as recoil goes I have not shot anything that kicks harder than my Mossberg 835 with 3 1/2 inch magnums and I have developed a flinch with it. But when shooting at an animal I don't realize a flinch only at the range.  A lot of times I don't even remember it kicking me when shooting at animals.
You can't kill 'em if you ain't in the woods.