Author Topic: Help with a remington trigger  (Read 23849 times)

Offline deerman12

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
Help with a remington trigger
« on: November 21, 2006, 06:42:54 AM »
Okay guys I need some help.  I just bought a remington LVSF in .204.  I have adjusted probably a dozen remington tirggers over the years.  I have loosened and tighted the bottom screw in the trigger and the trigger pull will not lighten up?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Offline gunnut69

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Help with a remington trigger
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 04:15:24 PM »
First I assume you are talking about the bottom screw in the front of the trigger housing. The bottom screw in the back is the sear engagement. What is the pull weight now and what are you trying to achieve? If the screw is ineffective either the spring is hanging or is too long/strong to be adjusted down. The new Remington triggers are locked by filling the threads in the hole with a glue like compound. Removing the compound is an indication the trigger has been tampered with and will likely void the warrantee(and delete their liability). To get a decent pull the spring may have to be replaced by one with the same length but of a softer wire or just a thinner wire diameter. Remove the screw and sprint behind it and clean the hole. OF COURSE IT GOES WITHOUT SAYING THE RIFLE IS EMPTY OF ALL AMMO!!!!!!! Triggers should not be lubed with oil but a dry luibricant is OK. The oil can collect dirt and debris and create a sludge that over time may interfere with the operation of the 'connector' and that can and has led to dangerous accidental discharges. The problem is caused by the sear connector not moving back into possition after being pulled with the safety engaged. Since the safety disconnects the sear it won't fire when the safety is on and the trigger pulled but if the 'connector' isn't repositioned before the safety is moved to the off position it will fire when the safety is so moved. I use only dry lubes such as graphite and moly compounds that are solvent based on any trigger. I'll incluse a link to a parts diagram that may be of help.     
http://www.urban-armory.com/diagrams/rem700.htm
gunnut69--
The 2nd amendment to the constitution of the United States of America-
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

Offline deerman12

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006, 07:56:18 AM »
Yes, the trigger pull weight is what I am referrring to.  I back the spring almost all the way out and it is still about 5 pounds.  I have had no trouble in the past getting them down to 2 1/2 to 3 pounds safely.  The gun is new and shoots great but the trigger sucks to me.  Thanks for your reply.

Offline gunnut69

• Moderators
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006, 08:36:57 AM »
It's likely the spring will have to be replaced to get the pull weight you're looking for. You might try removing the screw and cleaning the spriong and tunnel. I have ween them jammed from prreservative but bet it's lighter pressure spring you'll need..
gunnut69--
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

Offline ScoutMan

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006, 09:01:23 AM »
DeerMan,

Will you please go into your thread and make it a "sticky". Gunnut69 has given the precise answer with all the "caveats". This question gets asked too often to be buried in the threads.
If you can get closer, get closer
If you can get steadier, get steadier.

A telescope helps you see; it does not help you hold and squeeze.-Jeff Cooper

Offline trophytaker308

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2007, 04:52:27 AM »
COCK THE GUN AND TIGHTEN THE BACK SCREW ,(WHICH IS THE ENGAGEMENT SCREW) IN UNTIL THE PIN DROPS,THEN BACK IT OUT 1/3 OUT A TURN,THEN TRY IT.......GO WERE I POSTED A SITE ABOUT HOW TO ADJUST REMIGTON TRIGGERS AND DO THOSE STEPS ALL OVER AGAIN,SOMETIMES THEY  COME FROM THE SHOP NOT ADJUSTED  CORRECTLY,MAYBE ENGAGEMENT,STOP SCREW OR WEIGHT.....DO THESE STEPS AND TRY IT AND IT SHOULD BE FINE.....
http://www.snipercountry.com/Articles/RemingtonTriggers.asp
ALSO SPRAY SOME TEFLON OR A SMALL AMOUNT OF WD-40 INSIDE THE TRIGGER HOUSING,TO CUT THE GRIM OUT,OR THE SAME PLACES IT SAYS TO IN YOUR REMINGTON MANUAL....

Offline gunnut69

• Moderators
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2007, 08:20:20 PM »
Never and I repeat NEVER use WD40 on a reminton trigger. WD40 is a hard oil. It will dry to a varnish like consistancy and the remington triggers are plagued by their use of a part called a connector that is not spring loaded. The varnish that forms will eventually cause the connector to hang and can produce an accidental discharge if the trigger is pulled wihile the safety is on and the safety is then moved to the off position. Clean triggers, especially remington triggers with a no lube spray cleaner such as brake cleaner. Lube with a dry lubricant for best results.. Graphite is fine and is quite cheap.. Any oil can trap grime and fouling, creating a gummy condition that can cause dangerous problems especially in a remington trigger. As of 2007 remington has redesigned its trigger and while it is adjustable I don't know if it is fully adjustable. As to adjusting the sear engagement this is not necessary to lighten a trigger pull. Sear engagement adjustments can be very dangerous and are best not done by a non-professional. The connector remington used in their older triggers makes sear adjustment even more dicey..
gunnut69--

Offline skarke

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2007, 11:25:15 AM »
Gunnut, you're absolutely correct.  Dry lubes only.  Some will use gunscrubber to clean the trigger, and I think that this is fine, though some think that it breeds other problems (rust).  Regardless, no WD 40!!!!
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free.  Ronaldus Maximus

Offline corelokt308win

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2007, 10:07:35 AM »
First, blast it out with brake cleaner.  Use the whole can if you want, no harm in making sure it's really clean of all debri.  Second, I thought the new triggers from big green had been redesigned connector free.  No more connector issues in the new trigger style, if that's what he has.  Third, WD-40 sucks for gun work, FP-10 or Break-free, and usually best is lighter fluid on triggers.
Try tapping the trigger housing lightly after blasting it out and loosening that screw fully and see if that helps.
If life is a beach, why am I so crabby?

Offline skarke

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2007, 04:59:42 PM »
lighter fluid works great.  Actually, the cheaper stuff might be better, because it often has rust preventatives in it.  Some say that they don't want that stuff in their cigars, so the more expensive stuff eliminates the additives.  Go figure :)
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free.  Ronaldus Maximus

Offline fuzzy

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2007, 01:34:30 PM »
I have just got a new rem 700 The shear screw is steaked. The glue that was on all the screw`s came off with carb cleaner
Can I just set the tenshun screw to lower the pull weight. of corus ill have to get a trgger gage. Rich
I rather be over the hill than in it

Offline The Gamemaster

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2007, 04:26:48 PM »
You people scare me.  2 1/2 lbs of trigger pull is next to nothing in a hunting rifle.

The engineers at Remington took special care to design and manufacture their triggers to keep people from tampering with them - trying to make them better.

There is a site on the Remington Society page that tells how to adjust most model 700 triggers.

There is also many people that posted a reply to say that they tried to adjust their trigger and one or more of the screws broke and they had to buy a replacement trigger.

I guess most of them learned that it is not something that a backyard mechanic with a set of Craftsman Screw Drivers should attempt to do in their basement.

I wouldn't let Joe the barber wire my house and I wouldn't let Bob the builder cut my hair.

When I want a trigger adjusted, I take it to an authorized Remington Repair center and pay a licensed Gunsmith to do the job for me.

I don't know you and you don't know me - OK!

But I went to college for two years and a accredited trade school for another two years and I am a machinist and can work to very close tolerances - .0001 of an inch.

What I am saying is that if I am telling you that it shouldn't be done by just anyone - it isn't because I think that I am better than you are or smarter than you are.  Just that I have been there and done that.  I see all people from all walks of life that try to DO IT THEMSELVES!  Usually resulting in a loss of property or life.

There were people that I worked with that had 10 years of experience working in a machine shop as a machinist that I wouldn't let  them adjust my portable radio.  Some of them should have gotten a job at Giant Eagle as a butcher because they sure were not a machinist.

So for me to tell you how to do it or to condone such activities would be wrong.

What I will say is that Remington will not sell you aftermarket parts for a factory trigger and that once you break the seal - most gun shops will refuse to work on it and will refer you to an aftermarket trigger,  such as a Timmeny - which will cost you as much as $250 to purchase and install.

Offline The Gamemaster

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2007, 04:29:38 PM »
I have just got a new rem 700 The shear screw is steaked. The glue that was on all the screw`s came off with carb cleaner
Can I just set the tenshun screw to lower the pull weight. of corus ill have to get a trgger gage. Rich

Maybe this persons post will explain it better than I ever could!

Offline gunnut69

• Moderators
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2007, 11:36:12 AM »
There's no magic in adjusting a trigger and I've seen triggers set badly by licensed gun smiths.. Remington's problem with the triggers supposedly has been solved by eliminating the connector but there are a lot of guns out there and most have the original style trigger. As to fuzzy's post being a good example I agree. He asked logical questions and didn't come off as judgmental or better than others.. You might take note.. Adjustable triggers are sealed for several reasons, one to prevent screws from walking and to prove the tampering of others. Older Remington triggers could usually be set to a lighter weight than more modern variations. I believe due to lessened quality control.. The accidents caused by these triggers has inevitably included the person pointing a weapon in a dangerous direction.. The rifles firing accidentally has several reasons, some of which agree the designs fault. It does allow itself to be made unsafe by an unknowing, unthinking person. The results are usually tragic. Remember no safety is ever safe. Anything made by man can and will fail! Don't bet your life or someone else's on any safety/ ever!!
gunnut69--

Offline gwindrider1

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2008, 05:00:28 AM »
Well said!!!

Offline NFG

• A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2008, 05:45:55 PM »
Do youself a great big favor and replace the factory Rem trigger with any of the better aftermarket triggers, or a Jard Rem upgrade kit with the spring for the let off you want.  Brownell and Midway both have them.  I've had 2 different Rems, many years separating the purchases, go off after the safety was first engaged, the trigger pulled, then the safety flipped off with nothing touching the trigger.  Both guns would fire on about 75% of the tries...no rounds in the chamber.

I learned the "Remington trigger problem" on the first rifle, but check every Rem I ever touched.  Any Rem I ever purchased got a Canjar or a Jard (much cheaper and just as good).  I have pieces and parts of at least half a dozen Rem triggers gathering dust in a drawer dedicated to Rem "junk".

Very cheap insurance against screw ups.

Offline Augustis

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2008, 03:27:32 PM »
deerman

I think you have been given some very sound advice and reasonable warning. The only thing I could contribute is you never identified the fire control as being the old design with the trigger connector, or the new X Mark Pro??

Remington announced that with the introduction of the X Mark that it could be safely adjusted down to 2.5 pounds Min. The previous design was NEVER intended to be adjusted below 3 pounds. Which one do you have??? If I missed it, sorry in advance ;O)

Aug ><>

Offline Keith L

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2008, 07:36:29 PM »
If you don't get a response don't be real surprised.  The post is over two years old, and Deerman may not be around any more.  But, he just may be so lets see what happens.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline gunnut69

• Moderators
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2008, 09:52:42 AM »
His description of the screws indicates an older remington trigger..
gunnut69--

Offline glshop20

• Avid Poster
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2008, 07:13:56 AM »
Get a good after market trigger and replace the factory crap.

Offline 41 magnum

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2008, 02:13:29 PM »
Remington will do it for FREE !
THE 10 COMMANDMENTS ARE NOT SUGGESTIONS

Maker of trappers tools and gear, have an idea?  Let's talk !

Offline gunnut69

• Moderators
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2009, 08:35:05 AM »
I didn't know remington would replace any trigger without charge. They have a safety change they will make for little money(if they're still doing it) that merely removes the bolt locking feature from the safety. this allows the rifle to be unloaded without placing the safety in the fire position. I believe this relates to a loss they suffered in a lawsuit alleging a defective design caused a death. In fact the death was caused by poor maintenance of the weapon and poor safety habits of the person holding the rifle.  Any weapon can fire unexpectedly, always treat a firearms as if it's going to fire.. My daddy always said there's only one rule of gun safety,,,NEVER But NEVER point a gun where you don't want to see a bullet hole... If this is always followed there are NO accidents.. While I don't like the Remington design I have even seen a M70's safety fire the weapon upon release.. as the trigger didn't reset.. Fault?? the idiot who worked on the trigger previously. Be safe always..good hunting.
gunnut69--

Offline anweis

• A Real Regular
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2009, 08:33:29 AM »
Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Sure. Next time buy a Tikka. Remington and most other triggers suck.

Offline Redneckguy77

• punchin 10's all day
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2010, 05:46:09 PM »
i just adjusted mine and it lighted up just fine i dont know how to help sorry :(

Offline jebb45

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2011, 06:45:04 AM »
My understanding is everyone thinks the remington triggers are BAD. I have owned remington rifles for over 50 years and have never had a problem with any of them. FIRST, I never tampered with the triggers. SECOND, if I wanted a light trigger, I built a bench gun, or a rifle used for competition and left it at that. for anyone to blame the rifle, is wrong. Any blame from an accident should aimed at the person behind the rifle..... As Remington has planly stated and shown in several test, their rifles have no problems, till some IDIOT starts messing with the trigger to make a match gun or target rifle out of a field grade rifle.

I think Remington should fight for their products, they have proved beyond a shadow of any dought, that their rifles are safe, Until some IDIOT or backroom butcher trys to lighten the trigger, this should be taken to  qualified Remington Repair Station. You can ask to have the trigger lightened, and if they say NO, buy a aftermarket trigger and have installed and quit blaming Remington.

jebb45