Author Topic: Why the low pay for cops?  (Read 595 times)

Offline Questor

• Trade Count: (0)
Why the low pay for cops?
« on: November 22, 2006, 06:50:50 AM »
I don't understand the low pay issue for cops. Is it really that low-paying for the duration of a career as a policeman? That doesn't make sense. I can understand a new cop having low pay until he gets some experience, but beyond that low wages don't make much sense at all. For one thing, college degrees are required more and more by police departments. I could literally get a job sweeping floors and make more than $30K/yr.

The pension is a good one, considering full retirement after 20-25 years of service followed by a full pension for, realistically, another 30 to 35 years beyond retirement. Given a good pension that obviates the need to save while working, it seems like a reasonable trade-off.

Are the wages what the market will bear? I know that security guards make very low wages too.
Safety first

Offline victorcharlie

Re: Why the low pay for cops?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 06:59:10 AM »
A fellow can't hardly make 30K sweeping floors around here.........

Not when the illegals will do it for 8K........

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2006, 08:14:12 AM »
Around here floor sweeping pays $10,000 to $12,000 per year.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2006, 11:21:46 AM »
I have a friend, a retired Master Sergent from the Air Force that make 100-150K a year sweeping floors.  He retired and took a job in a bank, seen what they were paying and what they were getting to have the bank cleaned, he bid on it and got the job, since then he has expanded, and cleans several building around town..............that ain't bad wages for sweeping the floor.

Most of our cops deserve better pay that they are getting............course there are some that are over paided.

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2006, 11:47:15 AM »
Don't know about down there.  But here in Alaska, a cop makes between 80 to 110K a year.  Same for the firemen.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2006, 01:07:16 PM »
In most SC towns, the only requirement is a high school diploma and a certificate from the police academy.  Most officers have at least a two year technical degree though.  I have a nephew that works for our sheriff dept.  He has no degree.  He started out making around $27,000.  They usually get a 3% raise a year.  Rank or steps average about $100 extra a month.  Some towns pay more than others but it is about all the same.  It is not worth it to me so that is why I respect anyone who is willing to take on the job.  In my state they are always hiring police officers, bus drivers, and teachers.  They have the worst jobs for the least amount of pay.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2006, 01:35:51 PM »
Most in Houston and Harris County work extra jobs---but the pay of the department is not bad.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Rogue Ram

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2006, 06:00:43 PM »
The low pay has always gone with the territory. Until recently, many areas made up for it with the retirement and benefit packages. Those now have increasingly come under fire. I make an insane amount of money on paper, but essentially eat overtime, and get a retirement that is far less than what the local cops get yet they make 2/3 of what I make. LA, San Fran, NY, what cop can LIVE in those places at poverty wages? The result is a commute that ruins your life for a long time, until somehow you make a little more money or move on to a job and/or area that pays more.

If I had to do it over again, I am not so sure I would have gone this route. One thing for certain: I'd have done the military first and stayed in the reserves and learned a trade to use in my off time and after I retired. Regret that to this day.

RR

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2006, 10:57:07 PM »
If the work is not enjoyable it is not worth the effort.
It is a very lucky person that has an occupation which affords him/her pleaasure of a job well done and can provide a sense of peace from doing it.
Most never find that and sell out for $$$$ being the source of satisfaction.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline popplecop

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2006, 03:11:51 AM »
First pay and benefits depend on the unit of goverment.  Most Conservation Wardens in Wisconsin have college degrees.  College degrees do not make the law enforcement officer though, you can not teach good judgement, but the knowledge gained in school helps in the job.  It also helps in setting pay scales.  My salary was not all that great, but job satisfaction was tremendous.  The benefits in retirement are good and that helps.  In todays politics with everyone screaming no tax raises hard to raise salaries.  The citizens of those units of goverment can contact the elected representives and tell them police and fire need raises.  Now can you see that happening.
Life Member: VFW, NRA & Wisconsin Conservation Wardens Assoc.

Offline wncchester

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2006, 04:00:58 AM »
In most places the local government simply compete in the local labor market for employees.  The gov. officers might like to pay more but taxpayers want the most bang for the buck and that means they only pay what it takes to get a sufficent number of qualified  recuits.  There are so many young people who want to wear the blue suit they accept the low pay to get in. 

Other places, like NYC, have governments that care little about being frugal with tax payer money so they buy voting employees for their work force.  Makes the employees and employers happy (bought emplyees will vote for the entrenched officer holders) and the tax payers get screwed.  But, it seems the tax payers in NYC, Mass, Calif, etc, don't really mind the high taxes so I guess it's okay in those places. 

Not so in my area though, so the cost of living here is better than other places.  But even that's changing since so many snow birds from the affore mentioned places have moved in.  They seek to make this place like the well regulated and expensive paradise they left up north.  Our taxes have increased a lot since we've been "discovered".   Some of us wonder why they came here since they feel it was so great where they were.   But our gov. employees are getting a bit of a raise, along with expensive, silly blobs of "art" in our court house, liberary, etc.  ????
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline popplecop

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2006, 07:51:38 AM »
TM 7,  Where do you live, I thought I lived in the land of high taxes.  Wow, can't compare to yours
thankfully.  Salaries have to be good there, when you retire I'd sure look elsewhere.  Lot of friends that retire here move to Fla. and Txs. no state income tax, been both places will pay state income tax.  Sorta like the 4 seasons though winter can get long.
Life Member: VFW, NRA & Wisconsin Conservation Wardens Assoc.

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2006, 08:54:11 AM »
Had a good friend leave here and move to North Carolina, she was not prepaired for the taxes there.  Even thou she got a big promotion she never saw an increase in her disposiable income.  She lost money due to the taxes.  Income taxes, property taxes on her condo, and car.  She had never paid a tax on a vehicle before, and there they assess the tax on the type of vehicle it is and the value.  That hit her hard.  She has just taken a job in Florida so she can get out of the income tax. 
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2006, 04:46:45 PM »
I thought it was like that everywhere  The housing market along with the taxes have gone through the roof....Here in SC, you pay property tax on everything once a year.  Cars, houses, property, campers, etc.  The tax bills can be steep. I have a house on one of the large lakes in this state.  My tax bill to Lexington Co was $4800 alone. It is taxed as non homestead exempt (vacation home) so they tax me to death.  I'm thinking about selling it and just renting a place during the summer.  $4800 will pay for a lot of rent.  I  know a cop in Hilton Head that has to drive 30 miles one way to work everyday.  He can't afford to live in the town he is suspose to protect.  He said all of the officers commute that far.