Author Topic: 28 point whitetail.... doe.. ???? WHAT!?!?!  (Read 886 times)

Offline lewdogg21

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
28 point whitetail.... doe.. ???? WHAT!?!?!
« on: November 22, 2006, 09:56:43 AM »
I've seen Hen turkeys with beards but this is news to me.
http://www.kcra.com/video/10371788/index.html

I hope this isn't a repost somewhere.

Offline Siskiyou

Re: 28 point whitetail.... doe.. ???? WHAT!?!?!
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 11:27:46 AM »
Nothing new.  I am aware of 3 or 4 such incidents in the Klamath Mtns.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2006, 11:48:08 AM »
I have seen two doe with horns.  One was a mule deer killed near Mayhill, NM in the late 60s, the other was about ten years ago, a doe killed Southwest of Abilene, TX.  The horn of both of the deer I seen resembled more a spike, the whitetail did have the start of a fork, but it was not large enough to hang a ring on.

I guess this is kinda like the ole' gal I met once that had a heavier beard than I do.............

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2006, 04:09:23 PM »
I am not aware of any in California that exceeded and Fork, but that is not to say that some have not exceed a fork.  The California requlations state that a deer must have a fork horn or better.  The reference to gender has been removed.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline jpsmith1

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2006, 02:59:47 AM »
I've seen a head mount of a 9 or 11 point doe.  I can't remember which now.  It was several years back in a local gun shop that has either closed or moved.  I was initially stunned, but started to think... Female humans grow facial hair, hen turkey grow beards, why not antlers on a doe?

It's a genetic anomaly and probably best to shoot them over a male buck.  That is IF they are breeding does.  Maybe the hormonal imbalance that grows them antlers also keeps them out of the breeding.  I'm not a biologist.
Searching for the perfect left handed revolver.....

Offline joshco84

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006, 02:30:59 PM »
my uncle shot a doe with antlers, and it was by accident.  it was during antlerless season and it was standing in some scrubby brush.  he came back to the house to get the truck and my grandpa and i went with him.  we got up to it and my grandpa said huh it has antlers, my uncle didnt believe him and we walked around and sure enough a spike and a fork, but they were small and kinda funny looking.  we went and cleaned it and found that it had female genitalia, so we didnt even eat it.  it got laid out with coyote traps around it.   ;D  also just for the record we called the game warden (we personally know him) and told hime about shooting what we then thought was a buck, but he was understanding about it and the circumstances.  When we found out it was female it was good he shot it since it needed out of the gene pool anyways.
Smells like country, Tastes like rock and roll...... Want to find out more??? www.crosscanadianragweed.com  The all time greatest band ever.