Author Topic: S&W Model 629 model designations...  (Read 794 times)

Offline Litefoot

• Trade Count: (0)
S&W Model 629 model designations...
« on: April 22, 2003, 08:26:45 PM »
Can anyone tell me where to find the history behind the 629-2, 629-3, etc
handguns; what was changed each time and the year each model became available? I just picked up a 629-3 Mtn gun and it looks brand new although it has no lock and the firing pin is on the hammer. THanks.
"Other evils there are that may come...Yet it is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields we know..."-Aragorn, King Elessar

Offline chk

• Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2003, 03:36:35 AM »
It's my understanding when S&W makes changes to the product they use the  "-#" to show what mods are on it. I had a 629-3 and now have a 629-5. The "-5" is better made and has tighter lockup.  The "-5" has a cylinder stop machined as part of the frame instead of predded in. As for what changes were made and when I can't tell you. The original 629's had stainless internal parts that wore too quick I've been told and the silver parts are now plated carbon steel. Matbe that is what the "-2" was about. Dave

Offline jhm

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2003, 03:42:29 AM »
Litefoot:  The blue book of values gives dates and a brief history of a guns makeup and value I find it vary helpful in describing firearms.  the model 29 (4screw) was mnf between 1957-1961 / the model 29-2 (3 screw) had a s in the ser. 3 until 1968 and the top screw was elimanated on the sideplate.  That is a sample of what can be found in the blue books mine is a few yrs old so it doesnt have the mtn gun in it, hope this helped some. :D   JIM