Author Topic: Harrington Richardson Double Barrel  (Read 1567 times)

Offline Wolfgang

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
Harrington Richardson Double Barrel
« on: November 23, 2006, 04:24:07 PM »
Hello everyone,

Just thought I would ask a question about a shotgun that was given to me by my brother.  It is a SxS double barrel 12ga.  The barrel says made in Brazil for Harrington Richardson.  The barrels are a deep rich blue as is the receiver and the triggers and barrel latch are color case hardened.  The stock and forearm appear to be walnut and they have wonderful figure and a very rich high gloss finish.  The gun is about 35 years old and my brother bought it new.  He gave it to me as when I was growing up and learning to hunt this is the gun he always had with him.  He said it was not an expensive gun when he got it but in comparing it with high dollar Rugers and others it holds its own and appears even more well made than most.  I was just wondering if any of you guys had any expirience with these guns and what sort of value that it might have.  Not that I would sell it for the world but I was curious.  I wasn't able to find it in the Blue Book.  Just had it out today for the annual Thanksgiving rabbit hunt.  The old girl still points as if she is equipped with radar!

Thanks and happy holidays to all,

Wolfgang
"We have awakened a sleeping giant and filled him with a terrible resolve."

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Re: Harrington Richardson Double Barrel
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2006, 11:56:05 PM »
How 'bout a couple pics.  Sounds like a great looking shotgun.

cookie
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Wolfgang

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2006, 06:47:16 AM »
Cookieman,

I am no photographer but here is my best effort with my wifes digital camera.  I tried to get the one on the top portion of the barrels to show the Harrington Richardson logo but you can't really see it.

Wolfgang

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006, 07:15:23 AM »
SWEET ! !
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2006, 07:33:29 AM »
I don't have any info for you, but Cookie is right, nice piece man.  8)

-Aaron

Offline mt3030

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2006, 11:01:19 AM »
Yep, H&R imported them during the late '60s and maybe other dates. Manufactured by E. R. Amantino, in Brazil. They were also imported and sold under the trade names of Sears, Western Field and probably others. Last to import them was Stoeger, Inc.

The were available in a wide selection of gauges and barrel configurations. Mine is their 12 gauge 20 inch "Coach Gun".  Both barrels are choked (mod & full) and the little gun is a blast to shoot.

Great Falls, Montana

Deceased 6/2/2007

Offline Wolfgang

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2006, 02:44:15 PM »
Thanks for the compliments!  The shotgun is really very special to me as it is what I had always remembered him carrying.  It was also a learning tool in more ways than one.  First off it was the very first 12ga. that I ever got to fire and second, when I was screwing around or up as the case may be and there became some sort of safety issue, I can still remember the sound of the old double opening up and the shells being removed then the CLUNK as it was closed back up.  This sound was then always followed by the CLUNK when those shiny blued barrels boinked me on the noggin! ;D  I told Steve a long time after I had grown up (He is 13 years my senior) that when he had to leave this world of all the many guns he owns (some very expensive examples) that I want the double twelve.  I told him I had earned it and I thought if he looked close enough that he would be able to find where the bluing on the barrels had been worn off from so many times of rubbing against my head! :)  Last Christmas he told me to come outside of the house where we had all gathered and told me he had something for me and it turned out to be the twelve.  I got worried for a moment as I had asked for it when he was gone.  He said that there was nothing wrong but felt that I should take it and then enjoy it as he was never going to use it anymore.  I had to make one promise though.  He made me promise that when my youngest son Avery who is now 18 months old, was old enough and responsible enough to use and take care of it that I had to turn it over to him and then make him give me the same promise.  That is a promise that will be easy to keep. :)

Hope everyone had a happy Thanksgiving,

Best,

Wolfgang

Swampman

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2006, 02:20:49 PM »
I had the Stoger Coach Gun and I liked it a lot.

Offline Lugnutz

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Specialty Pistols
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2006, 06:08:28 AM »
wow that is sweet!!
Mike Bellm   is ok with me

http://specialtypistols.infopop.cc/eve