Author Topic: Accuracy of Ruger GP100 (GP161)  (Read 1690 times)

Offline Ned

• Trade Count: (0)
Accuracy of Ruger GP100 (GP161)
« on: November 25, 2006, 05:39:41 PM »
First, an apology: I tried the search feature and found some comments on this Ruger but can't figure out how to actually access the messages !?

I'm interested in the NRA "Distinguished Revolver" program which requires the use of .38 special ammunition in what is basically the traditional Bullseye course (with slow, timed, and rapid fire).

I thought the S&W Model 766 would be my best choice but I've been looking at the Ruger GP100 (actually the GP161 model) with the 6" barrel and adjustable sights.

The Ruger is (using MSRP) about $200 less expensive than the S&W.

I'm wondering if there are many Ruger users here and if they could comment on the accuracy of this revolver for this type of shooting.

I have 3 Rugers at present (2 Vaqueros and a Bearcat) but these are fixed sight models and I do not expect the accuracy from them that would be needed in the more formal NRA competition.

Thank you.

Ned

Offline MattC

Re: Accuracy of Ruger GP100 (GP161)
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 03:48:22 PM »
Ned, Its a a crap shoot.  My brother bought a blued GP-100 with the six inch barrel and it didn't shoot very well initially, and the cylinder latch wouldn't release.  He wrote Ruger a letter saying he had bought it to use as a target pistol andwas dissappointed.  They sent it back "with internal parts as needed" whatever that means.  Since its return its been VERY acurrate.  He has never shot it from sand bags or a decent rest but has shot several 1-inch 6-shot groups off hand at 25 yards.

He is an A class IPSIC shooter-wish I could shoot like that.

Offline safetysheriff

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 01:26:25 AM »
before buying my gp-161 i'd read that these revolvers would deliver one-hole groups at 25 yd's if you gave them the factory ammo' that they (individually) liked.   i found that to be true with mine.  it's a great revolver, and i doubt that too many factory-standard Smith and Wessons could outshoot it.

www.findarticles.com can show you a little information if you'll type in     Ruger gp-100     for your search.

i'd recommend buying one in stainless steel.

take care,

ss' 
Yet a little while and the wicked man shall be no more.   Though you mark his place he will not be there.   Ps. 37.

Offline mikedb

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 04:53:46 PM »
I really cant comment on the GP100 due to my eyes, however my scoped SuperRedhawk just put three in one hole at 25 yards off of sandbags.  Casual shooting with my Gp100 shoes it is as accurate as I need for plinking or hunting.

Offline wolfsong

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2006, 08:09:27 PM »
A conservative 100 to 125 feet head shot on a gray squirrel with a blued GP100 6inch half lugged barrel off hand with iron sights pushing a 158 gr jhp during this past deer season, on a two dollar bet, with two witnesses. Lots of practice, and lots of luck, but I have bragging rights  ;D  around the campfire until one of my hunting pards tops it. Lucky shot? Accurate gun? A little of both? Who knows, but that particular sidearm is almost always on my hip when I'm out in the field. The only other sidearms that I will carry when hunting is an Alaskan .44 or a GP100 4 inch. Go get one, you won't be sorry. Peace and God bless, Wolfsong.
GOD BLESS AMERICA AND MAY GOD HELP CALIFORNIA

Offline His lordship.

• Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 03:29:33 PM »
I bought my GP 100, 6" barrel, in 2003 and have been very pleased with the accuracy.  The rear site when it was first fired were off a few inches, adjusted accordingly.  The European guns I have purchased are always sited to go, right out of the box, so I was a little spoiled from that.

Used some handloads from a fellow shooter, man that revolver sure can put em' in tight.  Factory loads shoot good too.  I have heard of people having trigger jobs done on their Rugers, and this revolver as well as my Single-six in .22 RF have not had the triggers worked on.  The GP 100 trigger feels abit heavy, but at this time I shoot it with the original trigger from the factory, not sure if I will change that as it does the job.

As far as appearences go compared to Smith and Wesson, I like the looks of the GP 100.  Some shooters think they are clunky, but that heavier appearence does demonstrate strength.

Offline Questor

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 03:58:19 PM »
Ned:

Do not get the Ruger for that application. You can get a used S&W model 14 for $300 in fine condition. That is the gun you want for bullseye revolver matches. Take it from a fellow bullseye enthusiast. The model 14, or K-38 if you wish, is a true target pistol. The Ruger? Maybe, maybe not. You never know with Rugers. At the very least the S&W sights are better and there are target shooting accessories for it. S&W and Colt owns the bullseye revolver matches. I can't say that I've ever even heard of a Ruger being used for them.

What's my bullseye revolver? 6" barrelled S&W Model 14.
Safety first

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2006, 05:46:56 AM »
Very pleased with my 6" SS GP 100 357, 2" at 25 yards, probably better with handloads. Great revolver!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2006, 08:49:53 AM »
gp100s are great guns there bull strong guns that you will probably never break or wear out but if I were buying a da gun for competion it would be a smith. It might not be any more accurate but out of the box it will easier to shoot accurately. Most smiths have much lighter and smother triggers then a ruger. It would be well worth the 200 bucks to me for a comp gun. For a trail gun that i knew was going to see lots of 357s it woud be the ruger alll the way.
blue lives matter