Author Topic: Ruger #1 in 45/70  (Read 647 times)

Offline Frank46

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Ruger #1 in 45/70
« on: November 25, 2006, 10:52:39 PM »
I have a ruger #1 in 45/70 that the throat mikes out at .459. And as is usual with rugers in this caliber the rifling starts where the chamber ends. Another problem is that there is a definite constriction where the barrel band is and a slight one where the front sight is. I would like a 400gr gas checked bullet mold for this rifle (ruger should call this a carbine with the 22" bbl) and that it cast
at .462. Is this doable in your estimation?. Thanks in advance for your time and effort. Regards, Frank

Offline Veral

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Lead Bullet Technology
Re: Ruger #1 in 45/70
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2006, 05:47:50 PM »
  Yes it is and important that you do it!  Read the  45-70 200 yard  post next to this one and you'll see that filling the chamber is the most important factor in fitting bullets to 45-70 rifles.  I'm talking lead of coarse, but it also applies to jacketed!  The constrictions will lap out easily with the LBT lap kit, and shoot like a match grade barrel.  Throating of your Ruger is standard with all rifle makers, so far as rifling starting just off the case mouth, and 459 diameters are not uncommon except in the premium match rifles like Sharps.

Any machine work done on a barrel after it is rifled changes the internal dimensions.  Be that contouring, drilling, tapping, barrel bands, fluting, or making them octogon.  Internal dimensions are changed and target results are negative.  Lapping cures the problems.  I have found that it is pointless to try to shoot cast without lapping, even old well worn barrels, but especially new, and I've never heard of a match grade barrel that wasn't improved by it.
Veral Smith