Author Topic: Front Sight Questions  (Read 567 times)

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Front Sight Questions
« on: November 26, 2006, 01:57:47 PM »
What are the pros and cons of using a "hooded" front sight in conjunction with a Williams Peep Sight?  Would these same pros and cons apply if the front sight were a Lyman Apperture Sight like the one on the BC?  Does barrel length affect this info?

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: Front Sight Questions
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 03:16:24 AM »
Cookieman, I have a hooded front sight on a Winchester Model 71 in .348 Winchester and had one on my Marlin lever in .35 Remington (lost that hood, have to get another). The hood seemed to block reflections off the front sight bead and made it easier to pick it up in daylight conditions. I have read here and other places that some use the circle of the hood to help center the front bead in the rear apurture. I like my hooded front sights very much. The front hood also protects the front sight blade and bead , since I lost the hood on my Marlin the rather tall and delicate front blade with a gold enlarged dot on top has been broken off, possibly while thrashing around in the woods and I have to get another. I believe in some instances the front hood is actually a receptacle for the different front sight inserts that are available. Hooded front sights are classic, I say try one to see how you like it...<><.... :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Re: Front Sight Questions
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 11:45:08 AM »
My first long gun, Crossman Lever Action BB Gun, had the Lyman style front sight with 4or5 inserts.  "Tack Driver" would be a little over the top to describe a BB gun, but those sights sure worked well.  I do wonder, though, how effective they would be on a 22" barrel. 
Thanks, Andy.

cookie
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"