Author Topic: Rifled CHOKE TUBE question  (Read 2473 times)

Offline Dogmann

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Rifled CHOKE TUBE question
« on: November 27, 2006, 10:26:24 AM »
I just purchased a rifled choke tube for my Benelli Super90. It is a Colonial Rifled choke tube. Now heres my question- Can you shoot sabots only or rifled slugs only thru this tube....I thought that if I used a Rifled slub- once it hit the rifling of the choke-the  slug would key hole.....

Offline Dogmann

• Contributor
Re: Rifled CHOKE TUBE question
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 06:03:39 PM »
Anyone!!??

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 06:35:45 PM »
I have experience with one and only one rifled choke tube gun. It was a Remington 870. If the question is: "is it safe" then yes it's safe to shoot either the sabot loads or the "rifled" lead slugs. If the question is: "will it shoot them accurately" then only shooting it will tell you.

In the one example I had it didn't shoot sabots worth a darn but sure was accurate with the lead rifled slugs. It would stack them on top of each other at 50 yards. From my limited experience I think it best to use the rifled slugs with rifled tubes and the sabots with full rifled barrels. BUT I cannot say if that's a universal as I've owned and used exactly one of each.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Ranger J

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 04:39:31 AM »
My Remington 11-87 has a rifled choke and it shoots ‘rifled ‘ slugs quite well.  It shoots them as well as my fully rifled Mossberg barrel.  I haven’t shot any sabots in either as I find them rather pricey and where I hunted with the shotgun had mainly under 50 yard shots.
RJ

Offline mikedb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2006, 07:21:11 PM »
I have taken over a dozen deer with my 870 SP with a rifled choke tube.  I found sabots with a velocity under 1600 fps are best.  I use Federal Premiums.  I get 4 in groups at 100 yds and have taken deer out to about 125 yds.  Some of the newer sabots that travel about 1900 fps tend to keyhole.  Someday I will get a fully rifled barrel for the gun

Offline nabob

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2006, 09:26:02 AM »
I use a rifled choke tube in my BPS. It never shot sabots worth a hoot and copper solids went sideways through the target. Rifled slugs were OK, but only OK. My gun seems to love Buckhammers, which are made specifically for smoothbores and rifled choke tubes. I suspect any slug with an attached base would do the same, though.

Offline BIG JAKE

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2006, 04:23:18 AM »
I've used the rem copper solids, buckhammers and the fed standard sasbots out of my 870 with the rifled choke tube and all shot the same at about two and a half inches at a hundred yards. ;) ;)
squeeze it, don't pull it!!!!

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2006, 12:56:23 PM »
I tried the rifled choke and put the Modified choke back in my 1100. With rifle sights it will put the Federal 1 oz hollow point Maximums on top of each other at 50 yards. It'll stretch a 350 lb feral hog out quick. I have know idea what the velocity is on this round. Do any of you?
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline bill myers

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2007, 11:49:41 AM »
i can tell you that the rifled choke tube for the rem 870 {12]  made all the difference in the world.took it from 50yds +- w/out it and 125yds+ w/it. i am very pleased .i would think a rifled barrel would be even better/but the price diference20.00 to  200.00 for the barrel.as for safety any thing i have tried worked well/with pressures up to 11.5k/if in doubt drop the psi down to 7k and work up.have you ever heard of a ringed slug? they are truly awesome.

Offline alsaqr

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2007, 01:39:18 PM »
"In the one example I had it didn't shoot sabots worth a darn but sure was accurate with the lead rifled slugs. It would stack them on top of each other at 50 yards."

Bought a rifled choke tube for my Model 870 20 gauge several years ago    It was really accurate with the cheap Remington rifled slugs and slung the sabots all over the place.   

Huntsman1

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2007, 05:05:30 PM »
I too noticed a great deal of advantage using a Carlson choke tube on my Win. 1200 shooting Win. 1oz 2 3/4" slugs, they grouped 2" at 50yds, my own reload Lee Drive Key slugs grouped all over +7" at 50yds!  I'm hoping that a fully rifled barrel will remedy the Drive Key slugs. Rifled chokes seem to be the answer for factory Foster style slugs...for my gun atleast. I have'nt tried Rem. or Brenneke slugs as I try to shoot on the frugle side.

Huntsman1

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2007, 05:48:53 PM »
Well today I borrowed a Mossberg 500 with fully rifled barrel so I can test the accuracy of my Lee 1oz Drive Key slugs @50yds.
 >:( >:( >:( :(
They shot like crap!! What a waste of $100 bucks worth of equipment!! 
I then shot some 1oz Winchester Foster slugs (cheapy slugs IMO)(out of my Win. 1200 with deer bbl & rifled choke) at the same target @50yds and OMFG! 2" groups :o
Yeah they lead the choke up a bit, but way less frustration trying to group. So now it is my intention to stick with Foster style slugs & Brennkes when I can get them for the majority of my slug shoosting. I did pick up a couple boxes of the Rem. 3" Buckhammers but I'm gonna wait a bit for my shoulder to heal ;D
TTYL,

Offline buckshooter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2007, 11:26:47 AM »
I don't see why you can't. It's only when you use a slug barrel or slug gun that you should only use sabots. Why, because the wad of a slug bullet wrecks the rifling in your barrel or gun which over time gets worse. I have asked many questions from Cabela's and they did not say why you could not use sabots or slugs through it.     

"When guns are outlawed only the outlaws have guns."  by Louis L'Amoure

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." by President Ronald Reagan