Author Topic: Remington 1858 NM Army Model  (Read 764 times)

Offline ernierod

• Trade Count: (0)
Remington 1858 NM Army Model
« on: November 28, 2006, 10:07:06 AM »
Need some expert opinions on the current quality control of the following brands-UBERTI  and  PIETTA.They both make the Rem style 1858 New Army 44 C&B Revolver. I am concerned about finish,mechanical functioning,trigger smoothness/letoff and inherent acccuracy of these manufactures.Any help will be appreciated.Thanks Ernie

Offline Cowpox

• Contributor
Re: Remington 1858 NM Army Model
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 03:04:03 PM »
Hello ernierod,  First off, let me stress that I am no expert, but do have an opinion. While Piettas quality has improved to the point where they are about as good as Uberti, I still have to give the nod to Uberti, as well as the few extra dollars they cost. In the group I shoot with, there are two Uberti 1858s, and four Piettas. After a couple years of roughly the same amount of use (we pretty much shoot together most of the time), the two Ubertis have remained tighter, and have not developed the small amount of end play and rattles that the Piettas exhibit. Now, this is after each gun has burned in excess of 5 pounds of powder, and the Piettas are in no way worn out junk or dangerous, and will remain serviceable for a good long time yet. To be sure, this is only six of the thousands of 1858s from both makers, but they are the only yard sticks I have,  it is apparent that the Ubertis seem to be holding up a little better.
I rode with him,---------I got no complaints. ---------Cowpox

Offline ernierod

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 01:22:55 PM »
Cowpox-Thanks for great info.I am looking into Cabellas 1858 New Army 44 cal target model.It is,however,made by Pietta.I have a feeling the brands are pretty close in quality and possibly the lockwork is slightly better in the Uberti. If a person was interested in polishing the lockwork in either pistol-it probably could br improved.Maybe I will get lucky and get one that has no problems   :-)    Ernie

Offline RGE309

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 02:18:21 PM »
I like my new cabella new army 1858 pistol.  I wonder about grinnding the sharp edges off the cylinder (adjacent the nipples). The Cash universal capper will not fit.  Any opinions? It take a bit of time to be sure the caps are seated on the nipples. Then, no prob

Offline Cowpox

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 04:03:18 PM »
RGE309, I guess I was lucky to have several old cappers I have acquired over the years (mostly in the botton of boxes of gun related items from acution sales), and only one of them caps my 1858. I can't even tell you who made it, as the only marking is "Italy". However, if you go back to page 12 of this forum, about half way down there is a thread titled "Ted Cash Capper" started by Gallatin. The boys have a good discussion on how to get a capper that will fit the 1858. Flint (our Moderator) gives some tips on your idea of opening the nipple window so the Ted Cash snail will work. Take a look, it's a good read, and should provided the info you are asking about.
I rode with him,---------I got no complaints. ---------Cowpox