Author Topic: GBO Cannonneers--Advice Please!  (Read 654 times)

Offline Smoothbore

• Trade Count: (0)
GBO Cannonneers--Advice Please!
« on: November 28, 2006, 10:15:23 AM »
Gentlemen,

Been in the cannon doldrums for the past couple of months, but it appears I can get out for awhile now.  I purchased a hoard of bronze rounds from ENCO awhile back which included a round 3" diameter by 13" long---which is just too big for my lathe (for boring).  However, recently a new member joined my rocketry club, who has a machine shop, and not too far away.

He said he would do whatever I needed with my stock, so I took him up on it week before last.  He bored the bronze for golfballs to a depth of 9". The walls are now ~.693, but when the "rind" is turned off they will probable be more like ~.650.

The length (13") vs diameter (3"), is, to me, a kind of "inbetween" ratio, and this is where I seek your input and suggestions.  Should I turn this into a mortar or a cannon????  I don't want to shorten it any (wastes enough boring it out) which makes it kind of "long" for a mortar.  I am more inclined toward a cannon, even though somewhat short I can envision several neat styles for a barrel. 

My concern with a cannon barrel is the trunnions---there is not a whole lot of wall thickness to work with.  What do you dudes think? Any and all input will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Smoothbore

MOD NOTE: Changed the topic title becasue there are bunch of people here who are smarter than Tim and I...okay smarter than me...DD

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Re: CW and DD--Advice Please!
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 12:37:01 PM »
 Should I turn this into a mortar or a cannon???? 

YES!  ABSOLUTELY!

The choice is one that is emotional in nature - what is the desire of your heart?  Mortars are easy - straight clean lines; funcitonal, easy to shoot and clean, portable, LOUD, and FUN to shoot.  Maybe that's why I have so many.

On the other hand, the elegence of a cannon, the imagry of such power on two or four wheels is awesome.  Lots more work, perhaps greater satisfaction in the completed project.

Don't discount (the piece you have would make a LARGE one) the hand gonne - and in brass would impressive.

You might start by printing  pictures of the cannons/mortars you would like to own/operate.  Spread them out on the floor.  One at at time remove the least desireable - when down to the last one review again all the others.  One or two (or 3 or 6) will stand out crying for you to build them.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 12:54:12 PM »
Pardon me for butting in, but with only 9" of bore, there is room for a chamber which would be useful in a piece of that size and material.  Since you are making a freelance piece, you could put the trunnions on a separate band instead of inletting them into the barrel.

What are you planning to use for shot?
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 02:28:35 PM »
Pardon me for butting in,

The more the merrier!

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Advice Please!
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006, 04:13:56 PM »
Oh it's to late now!!! But you could have cut it in half and built a pair fo mortars! Noy you are stuck with just building a Danila King howitzer or  Mt Howitzter.  Some dilemma huh!

As to adding trunions. Does one of your model rocketry group do exotic welding? Weld them on.

CW and George have some good Idea's and so will the rest of these guys. So anybody else with an idea chime in!!!

Offline GGaskill

Re: GBO Cannonneers--Advice Please!
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2006, 05:29:22 PM »
Scaling a mountain howitzer to the 13" length gives a breech ring diameter of 2.655".  Scaling the breech ring to 3" makes the barrel about an inch and a half too short.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill