Author Topic: Cheap Scope  (Read 1019 times)

Offline DavOh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Cheap Scope
« on: November 29, 2006, 05:12:02 PM »
Looking for a decent, cheap scope.

Preferably 3-9x40, but price is main factor.  Looking for sub $50.00.....

Now that youv'e sprayed soda, coffee(hopefully not too hot), or what ever through your nose and onto the screen from laughing so hard... ....

This will be a one year scope for a NEF in either .243 or .308.  Have a hunting trip soon, no time to save up.  Whitetail out to 250 yds.  Will save up for a Leupold or Burris next year. Looked at the $30 Tasco at Walmart(as best I could with the clear plastic package around it.).

I only have $300.00 to spend on Gun, and scope.  Looking at a .308 at Walmart for $245(plus tax) or a .243 from someone here for $225.

Any thoughts?
-Davoh

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Cheap Scope
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 07:04:10 PM »
Pick any of the Banners on this page, or look for a used Trophy. I have several of these scopes, they aren't bad for the money. I also have one of the Philippine made Simmons Prohunters in 2-7x32, it's a fine little scope too, just as bright and clear as a lot of much more expensive scopes, aren't made any more.

Tim

http://theopticzone.com/searchresult.aspx?CategoryID=38

http://cdnninvestments.com/sipr3glfiscn.html

http://cdnninvestments.com/sipr2mablscn.html
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline ScoutMan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 09:58:52 AM »
Consider a peep (ghost ring) and post front sight. Make sure it's a post and not a bead. Make sure it is wide eneough. XS sights makes them. If hunting time is sunrise to sunset you will be OK. If it's before and after (usually 1/2 hr) you will lose about 15 min of shooting time on either end.
If you can get closer, get closer
If you can get steadier, get steadier.

A telescope helps you see; it does not help you hold and squeeze.-Jeff Cooper

Offline one eye joe

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 01:47:06 PM »
Check eBay for a Swift. I have picked up a couple of used Swift 3-9 scopes for about that price. Nice scopes with a good warrenty.

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2006, 12:05:55 AM »
I purchased a couple of the Wal Mart Tasco 3X9X40 scopes about 4-5 years ago and used them on a Sporterized .303 Enfield and a Handi .223.  Neither one gave me any trouble, but both are now mounted on .22's.  Primarily based on many, many threads I've read where others have eventually experianced problems with the Tasco and others in the same price range.  I began losing confidence in the lower end models and didn't want to risk failure in the field. 

That said, a friend purchased a Savage Mod 111 .30-06 Wal Mart Package deal that came with a Simmons 8-point. That was four years ago and he has never had a problem with the scope.  I purchased a new Master series 8-point and found it to be blurred and hazy out of the box.  Admittingly, probably not the norm, just bad luck, but something to be concerned with in purchasing low end models.

I have had great service with the Bushnell Banner line and now have five. Three are mounted on Handi Rifles in .270, .30-06 and 44 Mag. calibers.  Recently, I have purchased a couple Bushnell Sportsman models for mounting on a Marlin .22 Mag and Handi Sportster.  I have been very impressed with how clear they are and how precise the adjustments have been.  If I had to stay below $50 I would give it a strong look.

EVOC ONE

Offline smokey262

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2006, 04:53:40 PM »
For less than or = to $50, +1 on a Bushnell Banner

Get a used one on ebay

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2006, 03:28:32 PM »
Bushnell Banners..................

Offline Cement Man

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2006, 03:44:06 PM »
another vote for Banner.  OPtic Zone is pretty darn close to your price range.... for a new one
CIVES ARMA FERANT - Let the citizens bear arms.
POLITICIANS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO TWO TERMS - ONE IN OFFICE AND ONE IN PRISON.... Illinois already does this.

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2006, 01:39:49 PM »
   Just a couple pennies worth..

Our nearest Walmart has a 3-9X40 Thompson-center variable with Black Powder rings for $49 and change. It looks good..couldn't find any "made in" locations on the pkg though.
   I guess I am only mentioning it because I would think that anything thompson-Center puts their name on would have to be quite good...or am I being naieve ?
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)