Author Topic: Deer in Mississippi ?  (Read 1704 times)

Offline Country Boy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Deer in Mississippi ?
« on: November 30, 2006, 07:09:55 AM »
 I want to make a hunt there next year. Anyone know a good outfit to hunt with who can give ou a reasonable chance at a decent (140) buck.

Offline wareagleguy

Re: Deer in Mississippi ?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006, 12:58:05 PM »
West Point, Mississippi is the home of Mossy Oak Cammo company.  They used to have a outfitter outfit but not sure if they still do it.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2006, 02:56:01 AM »
Contact the DNR -- wildlife folks-- they often keep a list.

Offline stuffit

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2006, 03:46:27 AM »
Probably wouldn't be worth your time.  Mississippi deer seem to be getting smaller every seaso for the last several years.   Mostly "billygoat" looking racks. ( Unless you just want to shoot a  pen raised buck  in a fenced in compound.)
 ;)
stuffit 
Everybody changes their minds sometimes but a fool and a mule.

Deceased

Offline Jeffery8mm

• Trade Count: (59)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2006, 03:55:25 AM »
http://www.mdwfp.com/forums/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=7
Here is a forum that will have some great info for your hunt in Ms.

Tara hunt club and Giles Island come to mind.

Not true stuffit >:(!  We kill our fair share of bigguns here, freerange, without bait.
Jeff
With proper care and maintenance the human body will last a lifetime! :)

Offline stuffit

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2006, 04:57:31 AM »
Jeffery8mm,
I live right cross the river from Gile's Island.  While it's not exactly penned in, the deer there are definitely "confined" for all practical purposes and may as well be "pen" deer.   They pretty much cater to the wealthy hunters (mostly out of staters) who can/will to pay by the point.  They must not be doing much over there this year or, at least, there haven't been any pics in the Democrat. 

But "free range"????   I reckon but corn feeders are everywhere now.   Makes me wince everytime I see a "trail cam" jpg of a nice buck with his head in a "hog trough".  Oh well......  everything changes.... 

Deceased

Offline Jeffery8mm

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2006, 05:15:12 AM »
Stuffit, I guess that by the geographical nature of Giles ISLAND you can accurately say they are confined.As for corn feeder, I HATE them.  I do agree with you on that point.  Doesnt take much "skill" to waylay a nice one at the food trough :).
But........ there are a fair number of Ms deer taken by ethical hunters on private land.  My 5 year old daughter went on her first hunt with me this opening day.  Were were in a box blind over a wheat field and harvested a NICE 8 point without the aid of bait.  I am trying to instill in her the values of fair chase.
Good luck in the woods this year

Jeff

Offline stuffit

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2006, 06:40:01 AM »
Jeffery8mm,
I admire your intent.  People/hunters are so "product" focused now.  The "process" is what hunting is all about here.  I just get kinda disgusted when I see it.  My first post, as you've figured out by now, was kinda tongue in cheek, but the process of a real hunt is really on the wane when the trophy aspect of it is all that matters to the younger participants.   You're doing right to try tp pass on the best of what you have done and learned.  Good hunting to you and yours too.
 ;)
stuffit

Deceased

Offline SURVEYOR

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2006, 12:59:33 PM »

A free ranging Mississippi Buck.

Billy Goats? I don't know where you boys get them ideas? LOL!

Another Couple or more!

The top one was one of mine last year, the rest from just reguler hunters who posted their pictures on the

http://www.mdwfp.com/forums/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=7

Billy Goats???? LMAO! ;D

I''m A Dirty White Boy and I''m Proud Of It!

Offline John R.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2006, 05:22:37 AM »
I don't know where Stuffit came up with that,cause there is some excellant hunting in MS. with very little of it fenced in. Some of the mega dollar clubs are fenced, but most of them are 10,000 acres or better (hardly a pen). The Fulton buck was killed behind his house (huge non-typical). Check around,I'm sure you can find what your looking for. You'll have a better chance in MS. than LA.

Offline Jeffery8mm

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2006, 09:31:17 AM »
GLAD to see some fellow Mississippians here!!!
Jeff

Offline Country Boy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2006, 08:15:10 AM »
Nice bucks ! Still need an outfitter recommendation. I can't afford Tara oo,Giles Island or those fenced operations where they charge by the point or score. Thanks ???

Offline Jeffery8mm

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2006, 09:04:57 AM »
Sent you a PM Country Boy
Jeff

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2006, 07:22:34 AM »
I owened a track of land in Neshoba County, Ms.  There were several excellent deer on the place.  I hunted there a a few times during the 25 years I owned the property, and killed several deer when my aunt owned the place across the road from mine.  Since I owned the property, I never bought a license as I stayed at her place while there, and did my own butchering behind her house.  After she died I had to stay at a local motel and since I lived in Texas, I had to buy a non-resident license which was grossly overpriced. As a non-resident they may scape you to hunt there.

Offline acearch72

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2006, 02:59:40 PM »
Rockbilly,

All that time you were hunting on your own land without a license you were illegal.

I now live in La but am originally from Mississippi.  I own land and a house in Mississippi but I still have to buy a non-resident license.  A full season big game is about $300.00 plus some other fee, about $308 total I believe.

I also just got back from a hunt in Texas and had to purchase a non-resident license there also.  Guess what?  $300.00 same as Mississippi.  So don't say that Mississippi is 'grossly' overpriced.  They are just competitive.

Mississippi also offers a 7 day non-residence license at $125.00, but nothing like that in Texas.  So maybe Texas is 'grossly' overpriced.

Offline justannie2

• BKC Calls
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2006, 01:32:10 AM »
I don't know about how it'd be also living out of state.... but in MS, being a resident, and also having my name on the property deed I can hunt our property without a license. I thought as long as your name was on the deed you could hunt it free?

Offline statelinerut

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2006, 01:25:34 AM »
Nope. I was raised in MS and now live over the line in TN. If you do not have MS drivers license, you cannot get a resident hunting license. You have to pay out of state fees. I was gonna hunt Noxubee this year, but for $380. I dont think so. I think I will just stay in TN.
"For it is the God who commanded light to shine out of darkness, who has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ." 2 Corinthians 4:6

"Upon a life I did not live, upon a death I did not die; anothers life, anothers death, I stake my whole eternity." Horatius Bonar

Offline acearch72

• Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2006, 03:54:57 AM »
and also you cannot kill does if non-resident and not hunting on land you own.

Really sucks for us Mississippi boys who moved away to make a living but still want to come back home when we can.

I believe that there is a "Native Son" lifetime license you can purchase if born in Mississippi and moved away, but it is pricey.

I have to purchase the out of state license for $300 plus, but I can shoot does as I hunt on my own property.

Offline Daniel

• Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2007, 11:59:52 AM »
In re to stuffit: My experience is that the deer we've been killing at or near our deer camp have been getting larger in size over the last several years. Last year I killed an 11 pt. that tipped the scale at our skinning rack at approx. 250lbs. That's the largest bodied deer I've ever killed in MS. I hunt in the Delta BTW, about 20 miles NNE of Greenwood.

Offline stuffit

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2007, 02:57:33 AM »
Jeffery8mm,
  My first post, as you've figured out by now, was kinda tongue in cheek,

:D  No need to encourage migrant hunting though.  That's plenty popular enough anyway.
 ;)
stuffit

Deceased

Offline slave

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2007, 04:01:00 AM »
Them are some nice deer
keep your powder dry !!!

Offline Country Boy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2007, 05:40:11 AM »
Stuff it, please give me a break. I love Miss and have a lot of fond memories from years past. I'm old now and want to make a trip for deer before I croak A lot of Non-residents come to Mo. for big bucks and a bunch even leased the farm I hunt on in North Mo. but I don't hold any grudge aganist them. They just got more money than this poor old country boy.
    I may of found an outfit I can afford.  www.blackcreekoutfitters.net owner John Padgent   Any know anything about this operation I would sure appreciate some information before I lay down my social security money. Thanks, Carl

Offline MS10point

• Avid Poster
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2007, 03:24:15 PM »
Country Boy,
I don't know about the outfitter you chose,but they are in a good area. I hunt about 15 miles from Lexington and you can rest assured that you will see plenty of deer. A friend sent me the picture of this deer that was killed just outside Lexington this year. The deer supposedly grossed  160 1/8.
Enjoy!
TP
10Pt
When life gives you lemons.....go to deer camp!

Offline Country Boy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2007, 02:00:36 PM »
Thanks guys. Those are some dandy bucks any one of them would be my buck of a lifetime ! Found another guy who could be a possibility  Alton Norris Owl Hoot Lidge Cary,Ms  anyone know this one. Appreciate all Suggestions. I've got about 1500 plus licence to spend Hoping that will get me a 3 day hunt.