Author Topic: Difference in weight of lead or zinc?  (Read 442 times)

Offline reddog

• Trade Count: (0)
Difference in weight of lead or zinc?
« on: November 30, 2006, 12:05:28 PM »
Was just wondering, whats the difference in weight of lead or zinc.... lets say per pound?
"Catch A cannonball, now take me down the line. My bag is sinkin' low and I do believe it's time."

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Re: Difference in weight of lead or zinc?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 12:15:03 PM »
Lead is much denser (more weight for the same volume).  Zinc is just about the same denseness as cast iron (will float on lead).

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
    • http://www.lioby.com
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 12:51:20 PM »
per pound... they both weight the same... a pound of lead is the same weight as a pound of zinc (which, oddly enough, weighs the same as a pint of beer... approximately... but I degress)... "." A pint's a pound, the world around" ... approximatley ... but enough about beer...

Anyway, lead has a specific gravity of 11.3, while zinc has a specific gravity of 7.3, so Lead weighs 11.3 divided by 7.3 (about 1.6 times) more than zinc for a given sized object.

Unless you are particular about your lead source, it will contain tin and antimony and bismoth and probably a few other things in lesser amounts, so "range lead" will weigh a bit less than pure lead.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 01:37:05 PM »
You can determine the weight of a given diameter projectile made of a number of different materials at http://lassengunsmithing.com/html/ShotWeight.htm.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline reddog

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 03:22:25 PM »
Thanks Rickk, you cought on to my little joke, A pound is A pound, I just wanted to know what the difference was. Thanks. Buy the way I liked the beer referince
"Catch A cannonball, now take me down the line. My bag is sinkin' low and I do believe it's time."

Offline Rickk

• GBO Supporter
    • http://www.lioby.com
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 03:30:16 PM »
I figured it was a joke... otherwise I would have mentioned that a pound of feathers was lighter than either  ::)