Author Topic: Snake Charmer  (Read 990 times)

Offline southernpride

• Trade Count: (0)
Snake Charmer
« on: November 30, 2006, 03:45:01 PM »
I know this isn't an H&R or NEF but it is a single shot shotgun.  I saw one at Cabela's and liked it.  Would be used for shooting snakes mainly.  Does anybody have experience with these guns.

Offline kid_couteau

• Trade Count: (26)
  • Contributor
Re: Snake Charmer
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 04:20:50 PM »
Well I dont have a real snake charmer but I made one from a 410 NEF single shot

I like it.  I have shot buckshot, birdshot and slugs with it.  Little recoil and decent accuracy up to 20 yards.

Working on some loads made using 444 Marlin brass

Later
Kid

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2006, 05:17:10 PM »
I have no experience with the snake charmer but the Tamer from H&R is basically the same thing and it's made by Americans not the French. the same folks that make hastings shotgun barrels make these. I have a Hastings barrel for my 870 and it works great. If I was in the market for another slug barrel I'd buy a USA made one. I'd much rather not send a penny to France givien their attitude toward the U.S. since things heated up in the middle east.Verny -carron is an old company that makes a good product but from all I've seen the tamer is as good and is made right here inthe USA.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2006, 07:19:50 PM »
I have used both, and personally there's no comparison. The Tamer is better build and has a good strong Choate stock on it. I'd go with the Tamer myself anyday.
JMO

-Aaron

Offline mt3030

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2006, 08:00:20 PM »
...Does anybody have experience with these guns.

To answer your original question: Yes, I've had experience with a Snake Charmer. Had one for about two years. Played with it at the range several times and used it as a truck gun in the summer. It was well made and served up several rabbits and other small game. If I'd had a chance to actually use it on a snake, I'm sure it would of worked very well. Only reason I don't have it anymore was I went to a super short 20 gauge. If it would serve your needs, get one and enjoy it.

Great Falls, Montana

Deceased 6/2/2007

Offline southernpride

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2006, 02:56:54 PM »
I'd much rather not send a penny to France givien their attitude toward the U.S. since things heated up in the middle east.Verny -carron is an old company that makes a good product but from all I've seen the tamer is as good and is made right here inthe USA.

I guess that would go into my consideration

Offline GatCat

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 03:05:40 AM »
I've had one for a number of years. They have changed ownership ( or at least moved to another state) a couple of times. I like mine. The buttplate slides up to allow access to 3 or 4 spare shells.I'm sure you realize that when they were made, they had the minimum legal barrel length, and only enough butt stock to make overall length the legal minimum. Here in Washington State some people use them as truck guns for potting grouse, or for backpacking "survival" gun. Also, some halibut fishing boats ( both private and charter ) use them for finishing off a big "barn-door" before bringing 'em in the boat.