Author Topic: Savage 110 for Elk  (Read 3240 times)

Offline Slamfire

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Savage 110 for Elk
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2007, 09:16:49 PM »
I take it you like you rifles the way we do Vanilla.  I have two vanilla rifles a savage 30-06 and this 270.  They work great for us.  Ron
The egg yolks in French Vanilla make it pretty rich.  ;D
Bold talk from a one eyed fat man.

Offline jmckinley

• Contributor
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2007, 02:36:13 AM »
I just purchased a 110E yesterday from a windfall I didn't know I had. It has a Bushnell Trophy 3-9x40 with the Circle X  and wood stock. This Savage as a decent piece of wood on it to boot. It's in 270 with a reworked trigger and I paid $ 329 for it at a local gun shop. I live in New Mexico and the average distance for Elk here is 50 yards or so. If I stick a good 270 slug in the heart lung region  i'll be eating Elk steak in the evening. My point is a 270/06 is great for elk. My last Elk was 390 class bull hit with 180 grain Corre-lokt and he never took another step and that was in 06. I agree with the other posts take the Saavge and never look back. In fact after I have surgery this June I hope to buy an Ultra Comp in 270 from Tim.  I hope to get a Savage in 7mm Mag with acctrigger or better yet the 06 , I use to turn my nose up at the Savages but after shooting a friends in 7mm Mag with a brake I was getting 3/4 inch groups with 160gr NP at a 100yards and right around 2 inches at 200 great guns for the dollar. Jess ;D ;D ;D
Jess

Offline mk454

• Avid Poster
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2007, 10:34:13 AM »
you know, you're getting some great advice.  i personally don't consider the remington 710 as anything close to a savage.  i have 3, and based on their performance i have 3 friends and 5 cousins shooting them now.  to date, i have yet to have any savage rifle any of us have not be able to shoot a sub 1" group if you do your part.  there's some real intrinsic accuracy to be found in their action and the way the barrel mounts.  my 112 30.06 is by far the most accurate rifle i have ever seen shot.  my 375 hh gets accuracy better than any of the custom gun co. will guarantee.  you get the 110 or 111 package and use it now.  get a nice aftermarket stock later and you're off.  i would disagree that the .06 is minimum.  my bud took and elk that fell in about 20 yards with a .308 at over 400 yards.  just use good bullets.  i shot mine at 358 yards and the 165 grain barnes punched through both shoulders.  i didn't feel the need for a larger caliber that's for sure.

i really have yet to see any other model of rifle shoot with them consistently.  i've seen some remingtons and brownings and cz's do well but not as often and it's more hit or miss with them.  the savage's are great for a gun at any price.  if you end up with a few extra look at the 114 euro classic.  awesome little rifle. i'm getting one of them.
a gun owner that votes dem is an oxymoron with the emphasis on moron.

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2007, 06:39:10 PM »
No way, will a 4X scope be under powered for a 30-06.  first off the ONLY disadvantage you'll have is at the range trying to make itty bitty groups.

I have a savage 30-06 with a 4X and duplex reticle.  Out to 300, 4X, on an elk will be a dream.  When I sight 180gr bullets 2" high at 100yds, I can place the section of the bottom half of the verticle reticle (does this make sense?)  where the fine cross hair gets bigger, on the center of an 8" steel plate and ring it every time.  Built in range compensator.

Actually it makes for one less thing to go wrong.  Imagine the feeling of sighting in on an elk at 50yds in the tight woods, only to find the scope is set at 9 or 10X and you CAN'T FIND HIM before he moves.  It happens more than folks will admit.

With that fixed 4X you'll have a great field of view and fast acquisition.  I can print 1 1/2" groups at 100, 3 1/2-4" at 200 with a 4X, and definitely Keep them inside 8" at 300.  That's about half the size of the heart lung area of an elk.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!