Author Topic: Ohio rifle season ???  (Read 1476 times)

Offline stimpylu32

• Trade Count: (67)
Ohio rifle season ???
« on: December 03, 2006, 04:07:47 AM »
What do you think ? will ohio ever have a rifle season . we all know that you can use a 14" contender in pistol cal. and the new in-line MLs will shoot just like a CF rifle .

Will the boys at ODNR ever figger out that a single shot or even a lever action rifle in a pistol cal. would be just as safe and effictive as the handgun .

Put the same cap. limits on a lever action as they do on shotguns ( 3 shots ) . Just look at what Mississippi has done with their Prim. weapons season with great sucess .

I for one would love it  , what do you think ?
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
Re: Ohio rifle season ???
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2006, 05:31:59 AM »
Sounds good to me too. I agree with your analysis of the modern inline ML- shoots just as accurately and almost to the effective ranges of a centerfire rifle. But I don't think we will ever see it here.

Joe
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline GregP42

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006, 08:47:36 AM »
Stimpy,

I would love to see it too, I was talking to one of the DNR guys about the new inlines and asked him what he thought of the Savage smokeless muzzle loaders, well he had never heard of them, but they are legal because all it says is it has to be loaded from the muzzle.

As for plugging a lever action, I guess there might be a way, just have to take the thing apart to do it. We could all go to one of the meetings they are going to have in March and see if we can suggest it to them. Any way, I am off to clean up, saw 4 does today, but they were too far away and the angle I didn't like because there is a house about 3/4 of a mile in the direction that I would have had to shoot.

At least we have two extra days this year on the 16th and 17th of this month, then 3 more days for muzzle loaders only.

Greg
NRA Life Member
"Those who sacrifice essential liberty for temporary safety are not deserving of either liberty or safety."  - Ben Franklin, 1776
Vis Sis Mis!

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2006, 11:16:21 AM »
I would jump at a chance to use my 40-65 on local whitetail!

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (66)
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2006, 01:37:48 PM »
well boys  iam not sure when it is but they have a  time over in columbus  when odnr has a meeting you can go an voice yur opinions  and ideas to the head cheeses?  might do us some good? to  find out when it is and  have a few go there and tell them what we think? id love it myself , even if it was limited to using pistol cartridges in rifles and maybe a 30/30 , 35 rem , things like that  dont  use the long range cals , like 243 270 and the likes

Offline mjbgalt

• Trade Count: (26)
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2006, 04:48:55 PM »
i got a poll from them not long ago, and one of the questions was how i would change the current laws...i suggested longer seasons like other states have, and then mentioned the issue you guys just brought up, that a pistol-caliber rifle season would be great.

let's see if they listened.

-Matt
I have it on good authority that the telepromter is writing a stern letter.

Offline fuzzy

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2006, 05:15:50 PM »
I didn't like because there is a house about 3/4 of a mile in the direction that I would have had to shoot.

Thats why well never see a rifle season in ohio Rich
I rather be over the hill than in it

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (66)
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2006, 01:23:01 AM »
hey matt did it mention that day i was refering too, i think its in jan or feb they have that meeting,  why i see it  if you  can use a 14" 44mag in a handgun then a 20 in rifle isnt goin to make that much  diff, probobly safer then the  handgun on the fact your more accurate  with a  rifle then a handgun, in most  people ?

Offline mjbgalt

• Trade Count: (26)
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2006, 01:04:04 PM »
this poll was a few months ago...i think it was in association with one of the Ohio magazines...cannot remember which...

but no, i don't think it said anything about meetings...just asked how i would change Ohio's laws if i could.

-Matt
I have it on good authority that the telepromter is writing a stern letter.

Offline cattleskinner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2006, 02:18:44 AM »
I've thought the same thing as you guys many a time......you sure we aren't related?   Seriously though, I asked that question to Crawford county's old game warden, and he said that the state thought that it would increase your range too much...you and I know that that is b.s. considering it fills a niche between pistols and muzzleloaders/shotguns.  Hopefully they will wisen up to the way things really are.  What also gets me is the fact that you can use whatever you want on groundhogs/coyotes, I've used a 223, 22-250, and a 308, and a buddy of mine uses a 243...now how is that safer than using a pistol cartridge carbine on a deer?  You decide. 

-Amos
"You can't miss fast enough to win a gunfight"

Offline dave375hh

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2006, 03:57:15 AM »
I just read an article in Gun Digest(Gun List) that they looked at it from the other direction over in Pennsylvania. The conclusion was that there were no changes as to saftey when using a rifle compaired to a shotgun.

The old gamewarden saying it gives too much range, only illistrates how little the powers that be know about the reality of actual hunting. Their job is to control Deer population relative to the area, and food supply. The method of taking the animal is unimportant to this population control.

The law is written "any straight walled case" in a Revolver or single shot handgun. That makes a .450 Marlin in a TC encore OK to use in Ohio, but no rifles. DUHHH!
Dave375HH

Offline sk330lc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2006, 07:58:41 AM »
the problem with a rifle season is this..  UCLA  people ..   (Upper Canton Lower Akron)    They come south, buy 10 acres to hunt on ,bring 20 buddies and shoot @ anything that moves..  Not to mention, they try to run you off your own property..  >:(  sorry still have a bad taste in my mouth after last week and the UCLA people..

Here in southeastern Ohio the average shot @ a deer is about 50 yards.  yes there are times that shots out to 250 yards would be nice to take .. we just need to be better hunters...   with inlines , rifled shot guns , and T/C's fine pistols why do we need more?? 
Be True to What You Hunt!!!!!
SUPPORT THE GBO SERVER
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.0/topicseen.html

Offline stimpylu32

• Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2006, 10:27:18 AM »
sk330lc

I understand how you feel , these once a year hunters make it bad for all .  >:( The point i am tring to get across is that with the new in-line MLs , why can i not use a single shot rifle in 45/70 with BP loads , what is the diffrence ?

Also why can some one use a 14" contender in 450 Marlin but i can not use a lever gun in 357 mag with a 18" barrel .

No one is going to convince me that a 410 with a slug is more effective that a 45/70 BP loaded rifle on deer .

The boys at ODNR just need to use their heads for a change .  ???
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline sk330lc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2006, 01:34:54 PM »
  I underatand, I would love to have the chance, to use one of my marlin or winchester lever guns to hunt with..  I feel the problem with this is, the ODNR officers . They are not going to want to police More styles of fire arms.  The Heavens only know How much more money, they would reel in with fines.

Be True to What You Hunt!!!!!
SUPPORT THE GBO SERVER
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.0/topicseen.html

Offline Star1pup

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2006, 12:41:04 PM »
Each division has an open house on the same day each year, but I don't know the date this year.  Check their website and it should be on it.  At the open houses you can fill out a suggestion form.  It doesn't mean it will happen, but if enough ask for it they might start thinking about it.

One thing to be careful of is to keep adding on to it.  If we get it for .357 & .44, how about 30-30?  My advice is to keep it simple:  Any straight walled pistol cartridge of .357 up to??  Maybe also limit barrel length.  Magazine capacity would have to be included because they feel it has helped keep the accidents down.