Author Topic: Are there some "sleeping value" scopes out there ?  (Read 844 times)

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
Are there some "sleeping value" scopes out there ?
« on: December 03, 2006, 01:32:44 PM »
   A few years ago, I walked into a gun shop and bpought a Unertl 4X scope, Euro style post and crosshair in a steel tube.

It cost me $20, but it seems to be very high quality and holds zero very well.

So, you optics afficinados..If a guy can find the old, steel tube Unertl, Weaver, B&L or Redfield scopes for a decent price, doesn't one then have a scope that is the equivalent of some costing many $$$ at the present time ?
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
Re: Are there some "sleeping value" scopes out there ?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 05:35:59 AM »
Ironglow, probably not. With the abvances in lense coatings and all the newer cheap scopes will apear brighter. That dosen't mean a old steel tube weaver is not a good scope. On a vintage rifle I like a vintage scope. But no they can't compare in most ways with the new scopes.  ;D Byron
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
Re: Are there some "sleeping value" scopes out there ?
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 05:39:26 AM »
I walked into a little hole in the wall shop that had mostly fishing stuff. In the corner I spied a Leupold M8 12X for an asking price of $100.
They seem to be further and further apart but there are deals!