Author Topic: Aging Deer - By Antler Bases Diameter?  (Read 668 times)

Offline 1187VX2

• Trade Count: (0)
Aging Deer - By Antler Bases Diameter?
« on: December 05, 2006, 07:20:55 AM »
As an Illinois resident, I've noticed that during the check in process to validate your buck tag, one of the few things they ask is the diameter of the bases of the antlers.  From this, I assume that they are lumping certain antler diameters into certain age groups.  Has anybody out there seen a study or an article that breaks out age of bucks related to antler diameter?

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Re: Aging Deer - By Antler Bases Diameter?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 01:06:36 PM »
I never heard of that. I always seen and done the wear on the teeth used to age deer.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Ranger J

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 10:43:18 AM »
I believe that size of antlers has more to do with with genetics of the deer and how well the animal has fed and what minerals are available to it, even in the state of Illinois.
RJ (X resident of the Land of Lincoln) ;)

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 12:03:37 PM »
I never heard of that. I always seen and done the wear on the teeth used to age deer.

I thought that was strange too, until I saw on a doe they want us to measure from the nostril hole to the corner of the eye.
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline SDS-GEN

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 01:40:51 PM »
I think the DNR just wants a general idea of what people are shooting.  The antler base/eye to nostril/hoof size measurements just tells them if the deer was a fawn, 1.5 year old or 2.5+ year old.  The old check stations were a great way to keep track of the herd, I don't know why they did away with them (the state cited financial problems as the reason.)  A conservation officer told me that the new method of checking deer just makes it easier for poachers(they can check in bucks as does and take more than their limit.)  The new check in is a lot easier though, for me it was a 45 min drive both ways to a check station-plus a wait in line while rednecks filed up and down the lines looking into the backs of everyone's truck to see who shot a deer bigger than their's. Now I just make a phone call and go back to hunting.

Offline spispeza

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006, 03:43:10 PM »
my mother use to say of her father who was blind.would feel the antlers of deer to see how much mass,etc the antlers had.by his feeling of the antlers he could say they were old deer by the masss the deer antlers had????????

Offline The Sodbuster

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2006, 12:36:25 PM »
I've never heard of aging deer by the antler beam diameter.  However beam diameter of yearling bucks can be very indicative of herd health and productivity.  It's an index that correlates well with other parameters such as recruitment and expected growth rates.    I first heard of it's use in the early 90's.  It was the main input needed in a software program for deer managers called Deer Camp, developed by New York state biologist Aaron Moen.