Author Topic: 223 wssm  (Read 463 times)

Offline twocan

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
  • 185 pounder
223 wssm
« on: December 05, 2006, 04:50:05 PM »
Has anyone ever turned there 22 hornet into a 223wssm? Sounds good too me ???

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: 223 wssm
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 04:53:57 PM »
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline acloco

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 06:06:41 PM »
Too high of pressure for the frame to handle?  The WSM's and WSSM's are in the 60K pressure range.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2006, 06:14:04 PM »
Read the Eabco link I posted previously. ;) The case head of the 223 WSSM is the same size as the .300 WSM at .555".

Tim

Why No WSMs (or WSSMs) on the Encore or Ruger?: "How Much Pressure Can That Action Take?" When customers ask that question, they're usually considering one of the New Magnums: WSM, WSSM, Short Ultramag, etc. The gun magazines and magnum bolt action rifle makers are promoting the heck out of these cartridges. And, as any business appreciates free promotion, we would have liked to get on the bandwagon. But these huge new cartridges are obviously unsuited to the small framed TC Contender and Model 97D. In factory ammunition, they've proven themselves problematic for the TC Encore... And even the Ruger #1, in our experience, seems to have some issues with at least the factory 270 WSM ammunition. I don't believe this is universal. These cartridges might work fine for one gun only to have problems with another. And in all cases, handloading ammunition to suit the gun produces excellent accuracy and gun function. But TC and Ruger aren't chambering the Short Magnums so, what gives?

Well first of all, it isn't only a pressure thing. What is happening (I think) is a higher than optimal level of bolt thrust for the design and size of the gun. This can cause difficulty in achieving accuracy and may also cause problems with gun function. My personal experience with developing high performance cartridges for our small framed Model 97D rifles and BF Pistols has taught me a lot on this subject. Generally speaking, the less bolt thrust a cartridge generates, the greater its accuracy potential will be and also, the more reliable and easy will be its function in a particular gun. Single shots with break open and/or falling block actions seem to be less forgiving of heavy bolt thrust than turn-bolt actions. And, turn-bolts may not show function problems as clearly. But I think even turn-bolts are going to have less accuracy potential as the level of bolt thrust goes up. (Update 11/30/05 - Apparently there ARE problems with some of the original turn-bolt guns. Some manufacturers have now introduced special guns or revised designs for the short magnums... Savage, CZ, and Browning, to name three).

A look at accuracy handload data that's published in the new Sierra reloading manuals shows maximum velocities (at least for 300 WSM) that are 100-200 fps slower than the published velocities of factory loaded ammunition. Handloading makes the WSMs potentially workable and superbly accurate in many non-bolt guns including Encore and Ruger #1. BUT,  we sell precision and accuracy... And because of their potential for greater bolt thrust (and therefore less precision and accuracy), we do not offer the short magnums... or other chamberings with similar bolt thrust characteristics.

* Greater Bolt Thrust hurts accuracy potential *
* Greater Bolt Thrust reduces functionality * 

So... what kinds of cartridges deliver high velocity
with match accuracy and the least amount of bolt thrust?

Long and Skinny with Very Little Taper -
  P.O. Ackley did pressure tests with "Improved" cartridges (Vol I) and dry (not oily) chambers. These cartridges had very little body taper and gripped the chamber so well that they did not drive rearward even when the barrel was unscrewed a turn. A good example is the 300 Win Mag vs. the 300 WSM. They have pretty similar velocities but the 300 Win Mag will work more reliably in the TC Encore while the 300 WSM may have bolt thrust issues. The 300 Win Mag is longer and skinnier...

Size Matters at Least as Much as Pressure -
  Big guns can handle big cartridges. Small guns can handle small cartridges... that seems obvious but the question, "How much pressure can that action handle?" still begs for an answer: A few years back we built a BF Pistol in 270 Max (a necked down 357 Maximum with very little body taper). The customer reported back some extremely fast velocities we didn't think were possible with good gun function in that particular cartridge. About a year ago the gun came back for re-barreling... apparently still with no problems, he just wanted to try a different cartridge. Upon disassembly however, inspection of the block face showed deep gas cutting from around the primer pocket. We have no idea how many shots were fired at such extreme pressures and velocities, but that relatively small cartridge had to have been working in that gun at pressures way beyond what would not have worked in a larger cartridge. So...  merely asking "How Much Pressure..." doesn't tell you whether a gun will work right with a particular cartridge. Ackley's Vol I explains it much more eloquently... order a copy, its well worth the price.

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 04:30:04 AM »

It's certainly not a something you would want to shoot high pressure factory loads or high pressure handloads in...As Handi35 found out with his rechambered 300 WSM...his shot loose in 100 rounds...I have seen a-lot of Winchester mdle 70's on close out in this round...right at $600.00 last time I looked...It and the 25WSM...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...