Author Topic: Wolf sightings in Utah?  (Read 887 times)

Offline bigjeepman

• Trade Count: (0)
Wolf sightings in Utah?
« on: December 07, 2006, 04:36:09 AM »
Since I am real sure I'll be relocating to Utah in the spring of 2007 and because I have family there, I am more than just curious if there have ever been any wolves sighted in any part of Utah. I love shooting, hunting, hiking, and camping so I have been researching on the internet all I can find on what Utah has to offer. I have not read or heard of any wolves in Utah but maybe that is going to become a reality in the near future.
5 Rules for Happiness
free your heart from hatred ... free your mind from worries ... live simply ... give more ... expect less

Offline Coppertop

Re: Wolf sightings in Utah?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 05:45:35 AM »
hello bigjeepman

I left south west Wyo. about a year ago and the wolf problem there is terrible. I know that the wolves up around Pinedale and that area have been seen working down to the Flaming Gorge and over towards the west. I would suspect that in the very near future there will be wolves moving into parts of Utah along those borders.

Offline bigjeepman

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 01:35:21 PM »
Coppertop ...

I appreciate the info. That is something to be concerned about in our very near future. Thanks again .....
5 Rules for Happiness
free your heart from hatred ... free your mind from worries ... live simply ... give more ... expect less

Offline lewdogg21

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 10:25:49 AM »
Well not in Utah but damn close.  I hunted SE Idaho for deer in 91 and 92 with my father, grandfather and grandmothers brother.  My grandfather one day after meeting back up with us told us that he saw a wolf running along while he was riding his quad.  The sighting took place at something like 50 yards and the animals was much too big to be a coyote.  A couple days later my Dad and I were in a drainage when behind us on a timber covered knob a howl broke out that made the hair on the back of my neck stand up.  I turned to towards the sound and then to my dad.  The look we exchanged confirmed what both of us thought.  It was definitely a wolf howl and not a coyote.  At the time the snow around Soda Springs was pretty deep and it was bonechilling cold the week we were there.  At night it would get down to around -12 and the days were in the single digits and maybe teens.  I don't know if wolves were supposed to be in that area at that time but as they say the proofs in the pudding and I was convinced.