Author Topic: Your favorite urban legend?  (Read 922 times)

Offline Questor

• Trade Count: (0)
Your favorite urban legend?
« on: December 07, 2006, 08:08:54 AM »
What's your favorite urban legend?

Mine is the one about how the Nevada state patrol investigated what they thought was the site of an airplane crash. It turned out to be a crashed 1967 Impala that had had a pilfered jet assisted take-off unit (JATO) mounted to it. A guy that worked at one of the air bases stole it and mounted it to his car to get super speed. Once a JATO starts, it cannot be shut off. The car's speed at impact was about 325mph.

Or so the story went. Turned out to be debunked, but I love it still.
Safety first

Offline nabob

• A Real Regular
Re: Your favorite urban legend?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 08:15:09 AM »
Some years back, there was one that was supposed to be from a professor in Great Britain who said that all the world's civilizations lasted such-and-so years, marked by so many years of ascendancy, then so many years of stasis, then so many years of decline. The piece went on to make the correlation to the US and how we are supposed to be in the final stage, that of decline.

Total baloney but fun to spark discussion about history.

Offline Shooter973

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 02:19:14 PM »
That Lee Harvey Oswald could make 3 hits with an old Italian Bolt action rifle in just about 6 seconds. At a moving target!!! ::) Or that he acted alone!!! :o

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 03:32:27 AM »
I like the one about somebody actually finding a honest politician.
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline Tn Jim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006, 04:37:28 AM »
The one about the little ankle biter dog that was given a bath by it's owner and then put in the micro wave to dry always cracked me up. The really scary part about that one is there are people out there that are that stupid.
Not all Muslims are terrorist, but oddly enough, all terrorist are Muslims.

Offline ggeilman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2006, 08:52:48 AM »
Some years back, there was one that was supposed to be from a professor in Great Britain who said that all the world's civilizations lasted such-and-so years, marked by so many years of ascendancy, then so many years of stasis, then so many years of decline. The piece went on to make the correlation to the US and how we are supposed to be in the final stage, that of decline.

Total baloney but fun to spark discussion about history.

The such and such is 200 years and we are in the delcine period. Not sure that this is an urban legend.

Offline sjones

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2006, 03:36:15 AM »
Nabob,this country is in a decline,if you can't see that,you must have been hiding somewhere.The morals of the people are going downhill fast,there are whole generations of people living off the goverment dole,sex and violence are everywhere you look,violence is everywhere,its not safe to walk out on the streets in a lot of places,some people would rather steal than work,homosexuality and degeneracy is wherever you look.Can you honestly tell me you think this country is in fine shape?If this country doesn't get back to God,we are sunk as a nation.Now you all can flame away,have at me. sj

Offline Will Bison

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2006, 10:06:54 AM »
The National Guard is a State Agency.

Offline prairiedog555

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2007, 09:09:44 AM »
Big Gator in the sewers of New York. 

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2007, 09:26:38 AM »
TN JIM:  That's not a legend, that really happened, Base Housing Eielson AFB Alaska Summer 1985.  It was a cat, not a dog.  The parents told the kids to wash and dry the cat for a show that afternoon.  The kids procrastinated, and in a panic, stuck it in the microwave to dry it.  No the microwave did not blow up.  But it was a bloody mess in the kitchen, the cat did blow, and the door was opened by the pressure, causing blood and cat parts to be expelled onto the floor, one wall, and counter.  I was the maintenance man on duty that afternoon, and I arrived at the same time as the Fire Dept. 

Big Gators in the sewers of all major cities.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline hardertr

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2007, 02:45:17 PM »
"THIS plan is going to work..." ::)
The problem with troubleshooting is....sometimes it shoots back!

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2007, 03:04:37 PM »
so far I like sjones's post best and I agree with him, the only trouble is it's not a legend, urban or otherwise, it's the truth ....<><.... :o

" this country is in a decline,if you can't see that,you must have been hiding somewhere.The morals of the people are going downhill fast,there are whole generations of people living off the goverment dole,sex and violence are everywhere you look,violence is everywhere,its not safe to walk out on the streets in a lot of places,some people would rather steal than work,homosexuality and degeneracy is wherever you look.Can you honestly tell me you think this country is in fine shape?If this country doesn't get back to God,we are sunk as a nation. "
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2007, 03:53:58 PM »
I like the one about somebody actually finding a honest politician.

I thought the subject of this thread was "'urban legends" not "fairy tails". 
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC