Author Topic: What power for varmint?  (Read 522 times)

Offline sdailey5

• Trade Count: (0)
What power for varmint?
« on: December 08, 2006, 04:38:56 AM »
I am looking for a scope to go on a Savage 12FVSS in .308, I think that I plan on shooting up to a max of 300-350 yards.  I think I will average shots in the 200 range.  Mostly coyotes, but I have a prairie dog trip planned for summer and I'm sure I would be offered shots as far as I want.  I'm looking at the Leupold VX series but am not sure what power to get. I'm leaning towards the 4-12. Is this a good choice? Too little or too much? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

Offline DirtyDan

Re: What power for varmint?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 04:59:24 AM »
I think the choice will come down to $$ price. Any good 3-9 or 4-12 will do what you ask 98% of the time. Extreme shots at PDs are something else. Serious PD shooters use 14x up to 36x, but all kinds of things come into play; solid rest, mirage, etc. I just ordered a Burris FFII 3-9x40 w/BDC reticle, on sale @ Cabelas. Too good a deal to pass up. It's going on my 243 and will be used for deer, coyotes, hogs, crow, bobcat, fox and any other target of opportunity. The M8 6x Leupold it now wears will go back on the Springfield '06.
Any law that makes self-defense illegal or impractical is an illegitimate law, and should not be obeyed, because such a law ultimately subjects people to the criminal element.
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

Offline The Sodbuster

• Contributor
Re: What power for varmint?
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2006, 03:28:22 PM »
I put a Bushnell Banner 6-18X50mm on my Savage Model 12 in .22-250.  I've gone prairie dog shooting with it a couple times.  I've shot out to 400 yards or better.  18 power isn't really necessary.  Any scope that could dial up to 12-15 power would be fine for prairie dogs, in my opinion.  At one time I thought about getting the Super Sniper 16 power scope, but after last summer, I appreciate the flexibility a variable power gives me.

The Banner's a good scope for the money.  But I'd trade some of that magnification for better quality glass.  I'll eventually get it replaced.  Not a high priority for limited funds right now.  What I'm trying to say is, you're better off with a high quality 4-12 scope than with a cheaper 5-15 or 6-18. .  .   . of course a 6.5-20 VXIII would really fit the bill!