Author Topic: Looking to learn the ropes in South Texas  (Read 2016 times)

Offline ggeilman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Looking to learn the ropes in South Texas
« on: December 08, 2006, 05:16:30 AM »
I realize this is probably a strange post for here, but at 50 I am looking to get into hunting. I reside in the San Antonio area.

Offline ggeilman

• Avid Poster
Re: Looking to learn the ropes in South Texas
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 03:34:37 AM »
Well the season is pretty well over and no luck here. Maybe next year.

Offline Pat Miller

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 04:14:08 PM »
Had any luck finding anyone to help you out learn about hunting?
Being from SA should be an advantage!  Bass Pro has clinics, there's TONS of hunting opps around your area,  try TexaxBowhunters.com, gun clubs, shooting ranges, archery shops.
G' luck. 
I'd volunteer but I'm in Dallas!

Offline ggeilman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 05:28:07 AM »
No luck as yet. The people I work with that hunt aren't real interested in having a newbie around. Meanwhile I am practicing my shooting! I still can't get a decent group, but I am getting better.

Offline ggeilman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2007, 11:19:59 AM »
btt

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2007, 11:30:05 AM »
I guess this thread illustrates one of the reasons so few new folks come into hunting these days. It's just not that easy to find first hand one on one instruction to learn the art of hunting these days. You can of course pick the brains of folks here to learn part of it but it would sure help to have a tutor to go out with you to help.

I never did really and learned the hard way on my own but I started at age of five and have been doing it since. It does seem like someone by now would have offered some help. Have you ever dropped by my friend Kevin's site at www.texasboars.com and looked around? At least there more of the folks are in TX so you might find someone you could hook up with. Tell him Graybeard sent you.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline alsatian

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 09:08:42 AM »
ggeilman:  I suggest you be more persistent with your work mates and get them to take you out hunting or teach you about hunting in one way or another.  For example, if they hunt deer, maybe you could ask them to call you when they need to field dress a deer so you can watch and learn; have them call you when they are going to skin, quarter, and butcher a deer so you can learn.  If you have this moducum of knowledge, you can serve yourself in hunting -- just find some land to hunt on.  One possibility is to go up to Wyoming to hunt Pronghorn Antelope -- there is a lot of public land or you can pay a small "trespass fee" to hunt on private land.  The success rate is very high.  The hunt is not very physically challenging.  I suggest this, because I know some folks in Texas are very proud of the quality of their deer hunting on their lands and like to charge upwards of $1,500/gun to share this hunting with the unlanded.  Alternatively, get them to take you duck hunting or squirrel hunting.  That may be a simple way to get started.  But above all, be persistent and try to start small.  When you get some help, be very appreciative and try to return the favor in some way.  Once you know just a little about hunting you can try to find your own places to hunt by asking land owners.  Most won't want to do this for free, may already have the hunting leased out, but there are some prospects if you dig into it.  Offer to do some work on their ranch maybe.  For example, I hunt up in Oklahoma.  They had a very bad ice storm in mid-December and lots of trees got busted down.  I bet someone who went out to farmers and offered to help clean up their busted down trees -- sawing down limbs, moving and stacking sawed up wood -- could have made some hunting arrangements.  Life is too short to keep postponing your start into the great hobby of hunting.

Offline redhawksixsh

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008, 02:50:56 PM »
What part of San Antonio are you in?  this is jeff in n.e. san antonio.  Drop me a p.m.