Author Topic: Custom Sized Grips for Heavy Recoiling Handguns???  (Read 660 times)

Offline JHT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Custom Sized Grips for Heavy Recoiling Handguns???
« on: December 09, 2006, 03:28:07 PM »
With the plethora of custom grip makers, are there folks that make grips to fit the individual's measured hands?  I would have to believe that this would positively suit those shooting heavy recoiling handguns, as gun manufacturers make "one size fits all" grips.  I have found that shooting the same caliber with the same load feels much different when shooting those loads in guns with different grip sizes and/or configurations.

Jay
"Things will get done little by small."  ---  Joseph J. Venturo Sr.  ---  Joseph was my father-in-law, while he was not a formally educated man he certainly and without doubt was a very smart man, and a man who loved his children.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: Custom Sized Grips for Heavy Recoiling Handguns???
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006, 04:04:08 AM »
nobody does a grip that works for a bisley as well as dustin linebaugh. There not cheap though.
blue lives matter

Offline JHT

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2006, 04:13:28 AM »
LLoyd, I 100% agree with you and in fact it was Dustin Linebaugh who made the grips for my .475 Linebaugh.  With this in mind, we both know that he too makes the grips to fit the gun and not the "individual shooter."  This was the thrust of my inquiry; there are some great grip makers out there i.e., Dustin Linebaugh, but not many I assume that start with a profile of the shooter's hand.

Jay
"Things will get done little by small."  ---  Joseph J. Venturo Sr.  ---  Joseph was my father-in-law, while he was not a formally educated man he certainly and without doubt was a very smart man, and a man who loved his children.

Offline leverfan

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2006, 07:20:17 AM »
This is where I would look:
http://www.herrett-stocks.com/
NRA life member

Offline JHT

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 04:03:39 PM »
Leverfan,

You found exactly what I was looking for, bullseye!!!

Thanks,

Jay

Offline Broom Rider

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2006, 12:08:55 PM »
These are my Herrett's made to fit my hand size.
Lynnie, NRA Life Member

Offline JHT

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2006, 10:40:11 PM »
Lynnie,

I've previously viewed several of your posts that included pics of your handguns adorned by Herrett's, very nice grips and a spectacular collection of guns.  I also viewed their website and wonder if you would give me your thoughts on how effective their translation is of the tracing of your hand to the sculpting of the grip.  There is no doubt that they produce a very attractive product.

I've made several purchases from them back in the mid-'70s, but I believe that their product line has advanced quite a bit from then.

What is your favorite wood?  Do you know if Herrett will continue to work with their customers and make alterations to a pair of stocks once they have been received by the customer, if the customer still feels that the grips may require some additional alterrations?

Thanks,

Jay

Offline Broom Rider

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2006, 06:14:50 PM »
I haven't had to have any worked on since they have a model on site for my exact grip. Claro walnut looks nice and feels like..............well...........wood.
When making the grip to fit your hand it will be made to position your trigger finger at the approximate correct distance from the trigger, the length of the grip will be correct for the size of your palm. The circumfirance will be correct for your grip. The Jordan Trooper is wide at the rear to distribute recoil over a somewhat larger area. The gentleman that made your grips in the mid 70's was probably Harold Garrison, now sadly no longer with us. Dee has taken over his work and is doing well.
Lynnie, NRA Life Member