Author Topic: Remington SPR18  (Read 78890 times)

Offline bilesteve

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Remington SPR18
« Reply #90 on: April 26, 2008, 07:31:40 PM »
Thanks for the info., Cleburne iisn't that far from me (in Texas terms, but that was before gasoline reached $3.50/gal.), so I might check with Sun Optics if I get this rifle.

It has been a little less than a month since your post, how is your .223 shooting now? (I am trying to decide between a .223 and 7.62x30; already have a Handi Superlight .223 and Savage .243).

As a follow up to the above, I went to a couple of gunshops today to see if I could find an spr18 to look at but neither had one.  I asked one store and they said they could special order a rifle, but the cost was quite a bit higher than one can find on the internet. At the second store, they told me that they will not stock or sell the SPR18 as they had previously had some kind of a problem in the manufacture that could actually be dangerous to the shooter. Can anybody corroborate that story or do people think it is some kind of fiction to put down what this store isn't selling?

Thanks.

Offline model 99

« Reply #91 on: April 29, 2008, 06:46:43 AM »
bilesteve: I haven't had the opportunity to get hooked up with the guy from the gun club to do any additional shooting yet. Our weather has been absolutely nuts for the last while back. Can be in 60's one day and snowing the next. Been getting some severe winds and don't like to sight in when it is so windy.
As far as having heard that there is something defective in the production of the SPR18 is all news to me. When I was initially making inquiry as to whether I wanted to buy this gun, I called Remington to ask some questions about it. The guy I talked to said he already had one in .223 and as soon as he had the funds was going to get one in .243. I don't think that he would be looking to get another one, although in a different caliber, if there was something wrong and potentially dangerous in the way they are built. He was in the repairs dept and processed returns for repair so I think he would have heard of any problems so wouldn't have purchased one and was in the market for another. That defective stuff sounds kind of hoaky to me. I really don't think you'd be disappointed with one.
Happy shooting.

Offline bilesteve

« Reply #92 on: April 29, 2008, 03:38:57 PM »
The sales guy may have just been bad-mouthing a rifle his company did not sell. Right now, I am considering an SKS, the Spartan, a Stevens, or if nothing else works, I could just upgrade my Handi-rifle, but the SPR-18 looks interesting.

Offline bilesteve

« Reply #93 on: April 29, 2008, 06:04:42 PM »
Also, are those sights on the SPR18 adjustable? Is the front sight in a dovetail?

Offline model 99

« Reply #94 on: April 30, 2008, 11:44:52 AM »
The rear sight is in the dovetail. A set screw is loosened which allows for adjusting windage. The front sitght also has an adjusting screw for elevation. Since I put on a scope, I didn't try using the open sights or making any adjustments. With my eye problems, (kerateconus) I wouldn't have been able to see a target at 100yds with open sights so didn't even try. Looks like any of those you are looking at would be good choices in this price range.

I just liked the looks of the SPR even though it was a little more expensive than some of the others. When I first saw a picture of it I was reminded quite a bit of my Savage model 99 -- which I absolutely love, by the way.

My shooting buddy at the range has a CZ in .17 and a Handi in .223. I put a couple of rounds through the CZ and it is a very nice shooter. He has quite a bit more $$$ in it than I do but I must admit that it is nice. It is a bit of a problem for me since I'm a lefty. Another reason for me not to have a bolt.

Offline bilesteve

« Reply #95 on: April 30, 2008, 07:53:15 PM »
Just picked up my Remington SPR18 in .223 Rem. yesterday.
Going in the morning to get some mounts/rings for it.
Looks to be a well made rifle, comparing it to a Handi or NEF. I got really soured on the H&R/NEF rifles because of quality and having to shoot the rifle on the HINGE PIN.
Let's hope that these rifles shoot better than the Handi's. Because when you get to shootin a single shot, You just really fall in love with them.
Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Dennis  ;)

What is the twist rate on your .223?
Thanks.

Offline model 99

« Reply #96 on: May 01, 2008, 02:21:49 PM »
Remington told me that the twist is 1 in 12 so I've been using standard Remington ammo off the shelf in 55 grain, $8 plus some change for a box from our local Bi-Mart. Definately nothing fancy like someone who loads their own would be able to produce. But it seems to do OK. I'm not heavy into shooting so I'm not looking to tool up for loading my own. Although that would undoubtedly make for even better groups. When I'm able to get out and do a little more shooting, if I can get under 2 inch groups, and I don't think that will be a problem, I'll be happy -- and satisfied that any coyote that I get in the cross hairs is in serious trouble. Happy shooting !

Offline bilesteve

« Reply #97 on: May 06, 2008, 04:37:20 PM »
The rear sight is in the dovetail. A set screw is loosened which allows for adjusting windage. The front sitght also has an adjusting screw for elevation. Since I put on a scope, I didn't try using the open sights or making any adjustments. With my eye problems, (kerateconus) I wouldn't have been able to see a target at 100yds with open sights so didn't even try. Looks like any of those you are looking at would be good choices in this price range.

I just liked the looks of the SPR even though it was a little more expensive than some of the others. When I first saw a picture of it I was reminded quite a bit of my Savage model 99 -- which I absolutely love, by the way.

My shooting buddy at the range has a CZ in .17 and a Handi in .223. I put a couple of rounds through the CZ and it is a very nice shooter. He has quite a bit more $$$ in it than I do but I must admit that it is nice. It is a bit of a problem for me since I'm a lefty. Another reason for me not to have a bolt.

Model99, I looked at an SPR18 today and it is a pretty attractive rifle, much better looking than a Handi or a Rossi. In looking at the sights, the front sight is a little odd to me. Is there a special tool for it's adjustment or do you use a Phillips head screwdriver that depresses that little silver piece in the middle of the front sight adjustment screw?
I am getting pretty interested in this little rife. (gunsmith checked the trigger and it's pull was 4.5 lbs from the factory; could be a lot worse) :)

Offline model 99

« Reply #98 on: May 08, 2008, 08:09:44 AM »
bilesteve: I'll have to get my SPR out of storage and take a good look at it. We've been on a mini-vacation and just got back so everything is still not handily available. When we leave, things like that are "put away".

Since it is difficult for me to use the open sights due to the kerateconus and have to rely on a scope, I didn't pay real close attention to the set up. When I have questions about Remmy stuff, I do this way. Call 1-800-243-9700, press prompt #4, then in the next menu prompt #3. I believe that puts you into the repair dept. I think the fella's name that I talk to is Greg Thomas. He has been very helpful. He or one of his associates would be able to give you better advice than I. Or, maybe the gunsmith you talked to would have some input on how to adjust it?? I'm sorry that I can't give you a more definitive answer. If you get an answer about the front sight, please post it. Now I'm curious.

I also had looked at the guns you mentioned prior to the SPR. To me the SPR is just a little bit unique and have gotten to really like the spiral twist on the barrel. I also like the way the wood on the forearm is cut somewhat flat on the bottom. For me, it rests very nicely in the hand.

A pull of 4.5 lb really isn't too bad. I'll have to take mine and have it checked to satisfy my curiosity.
Have a great day and happy shooting !

Offline bilesteve

« Reply #99 on: May 08, 2008, 09:20:46 AM »
Model99, I did call Remington yesterday (but probably did not talk to the guy you mentioned) and they said to use a flat-blade screwdriver to depress the center part of the sight (it's a little silver center piece) and turn the sight clockwise to raise the sight and the opposite to lower it.

Like you, I really liked the look of the barrel and also the flattened forearm piece. It is a unique looking rife, I am feeling myself swayed.

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #100 on: May 08, 2008, 09:55:37 PM »
Well as folks have seen with the photos of mine I hated the fore-stock so re-modeled it and at the same time I  re-did the butt-stock and made the contours blend into the action instead of it being proud of the metal and accented the shields either side of the action, fluted the comb nose and highlighted the pistol grip more. Not the stocks on the combination guns and double rifles are better from what I have seen so why cannot they make the single shot rifles stocks to the same standards?

I am just putting my 222 Remington chambered MH18 up for sale, no nothing wrong with it but I have found a BSA Hunter in 222 and I have been after one of those for a loooooooooooong time so it will have to go to make room for it on the licence . :'(

Offline model 99

« Reply #101 on: May 09, 2008, 09:26:01 AM »

it will have to go to make room for it on the licence . :'(

Brithunter: What does this mean? Are you only permitted to have a certain amount of guns ? ? ? ?

Model 99

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #102 on: May 09, 2008, 11:14:14 AM »
Not in law there is no limit however the licences are issued by the County Police force who make their own rules up as they go along and my local Police say I already have too many. To buy another you need a vacant space on your licence so I need to move one to gain the one I really wanted but could not find then I saw the MH18 on a table at the show and brought it which is how I ended up with it.

Offline dougk

• Driftwood TEXAS
« Reply #103 on: May 09, 2008, 06:54:06 PM »
it will have to go to make room for it on the licence . :'(
which state and county do you live?

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #104 on: May 10, 2008, 12:34:52 AM »
Hi well I live in England and the county of Lincolnshire. As to how many is too many that is an unknown amount and varies depending on who at the Police headquarters you speak to and which Firearms Enquiry officer you are dealing with. As I said they make it up as they go along. The police claim they have dealers who have less stock than I hold for personal use, something I find amusing and cannot believe.

Offline model 99

« Reply #105 on: May 10, 2008, 09:08:12 AM »
Hi well I live in England and the county of Lincolnshire. As to how many is too many that is an unknown amount and varies depending on who at the Police headquarters you speak to and which Firearms Enquiry officer you are dealing with. As I said they make it up as they go along. The police claim they have dealers who have less stock than I hold for personal use, something I find amusing and cannot believe.
Brithunter: I realize I'm getting this way off the original thread but I do have another question. So you are under "true" gun control. Your local authorities keep record of the guns you buy and have in your possession. Are you also limited to the amount of ammo you can have on hand for each rifle ? ? Do they also stipulate how to maintain the guns for security purposes ? If you are burglarized and a gun is stolen, can they do anything to you for not keeping them secure enough ?

Yeah, I know. More than one question but the more I thought about it the more questions came to mind. And I probably have a lot more that I'll let go for now. My curiosity has gotten me off course so, "nuff" said.
Happy shooting anyway !

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #106 on: May 10, 2008, 11:32:30 AM »
Yes most guns are on register if you like to call it that. However their records are crap the new national database is rubbish it seems  :D several folks I know have had queries on licence renewal because the firearms enquiry office with his print out has not got all their legally held guns on it  ::). We have ammunition holdings which vary an awful lot. I used to be able to legally hold just over 15,000 rounds of assorted calibers however moving into this county that has been altered to less even though they know I already had more than they put down. Just making life awkward and have nothing better to do with their time.

Firearms must be securely kept and steel cabinets are advised but not compulsory as are alarm systems. Burglary is a funny one as the law states "to prevent unauthorised access". Well locked doors and windows prevent unauthorised access so if someone forces their way in then they are unauthorised are they not? Ammunition for Rilfes (section one) needs to be kept secure but this does not apply to shotgun ammo unless it contains less than 9 pieces of shot as that is classed as firearms and needs a firearms Certifacte to buy and possess rather than a Section 2 Shotgun certificate. It gets too involved to go into fully here but I think that gives you the drift.

I am off to bed now as I am up fairly early to get the guns and stuff ready for the trip to the range.

Offline bilesteve

« Reply #107 on: May 14, 2008, 09:08:34 AM »

Did you ever get this adjusted and if so, how do you like it?

Aloha all!

I picked up one of these in 7.62x39.  And, like many others, I'm having an issue with it not cracking the primers on military-grade ammo.  I've gotten to the internals, and managed to get out the hammer spring, but after that I'm clueless. 

It looks to me like the channel where the hammer travels is really rough and could use some polishing, and probably some of the mating surfaces in there could use a little help as well, but I don't see how she comes apart.  Could anyone who has done this give me a dis-assembly tutorial?

Also, I purchased a n aperture sight from NECG that mounts nicely on the 11mm rail.  Only catch is, with it at its lowest setting, and the front sight at its highest setting, I'm grouping waaaaay high.  What would be involved in replacing the front sight?

Mahalo!
Tom G

Offline lonewolf5348

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #108 on: September 27, 2008, 10:55:47 AM »
I just pick up one to day in 243 win: the guy had about 10 rounds threw it metal to wood finish looks good tight action on the break also came with a set of millet rings $175.00
the gun is like new not a mark on it hope it will shoot
I wonder what the barrel twist is on the 243 cal.?

Offline model 99

« Reply #109 on: September 30, 2008, 07:36:50 AM »
lonewolf5: Here are the twists from factory rep.
223      1x12
243      1x9 1/8
270      1x10
30:06   1x10
Seems like a strange twist for the 243. That is what he said as I asked him twice. One in Nine and an eighth.

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
« Reply #110 on: September 30, 2008, 08:33:36 PM »
From what I read here the SPR18 rifles are very accurate shooters.
This is not really surprising with the hammer forged barrels which is what I said above. This technology is not new and the quality of the barrel is dependent on the machine operator. Of course if he does not produce good barrels he is down the road. It is a matter of keeping a close eye on the process.

The rough parts in the action and tuning the trigger are very easy fixes. The only problem is the integral scope mounting rail and it is
not worth a hoot.

To fix this problem I would mill or file off this rail and install a long Weaver or H&R rail fitted to a prep-ed surface and supported at the front with a long screw and a block between the barrel and the under side of the rail. This rail should be installed with a collimator
to make sure the rail is aligned at "0" windage and elevation at 100yards with the x-hairs of the scope in the optical center.

A set of Burris Signature rings with the plastic ex-centric bushings
would make a rock solid scope mount. With the final fitting done
I would glue the rail with epoxy to the barrel. As is with the rings so close together  the scope will shake like a kite in the wind with the barrel vibrations.

I always wanted a 223, me I thinks I might try one of these.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline model 99

« Reply #111 on: October 01, 2008, 02:28:16 PM »
Well Fred. All I can say about the mounting is that after I got the correct hardware from SunOptics, everything mounted very nicely. I was also a bit skeptical about the dovetail in the receiver but now don't have any complaints. It appears that they have come up with a pretty nice scope attachment. I can't tear apart what works. And the price was very reasonable too. I'm not so sure I'd want to do all you suggest when there is an easy way to accomplish the same thing. I guess there is no harm in trying to make a better mouse trap but I think that what Dewayne has come up with would make most anyone happy with the installation and adjustment of a scope. Each to his own prerogative. Happy shooting.

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
« Reply #112 on: October 01, 2008, 08:44:45 PM »
Model 99.
I assume you talk about the BKL cantilever mounts. In this application I see two things detrimental to good shooting. Since the mount considerable raises the height of the scope and the comb of the stock has a lot of drop at the comb, a good stock/cheek weld can not obtained, or rather a poor one at best.

Two, with the x-hair also very high above the center of bore you will  always be fighting cant, which will throw your shots left or right unless you have a build in level in your eyes. With the poor stock/cheek weld this will be even more apparent.

Best mounting applications will place the scope as close to the center of bore as possible. Hence my application.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #113 on: October 03, 2008, 10:04:32 PM »
Actually I have had no problems with the std dovetail on my Baikal MH18 photos of which are on page 1 of this post, yes I would have like a longer dovetail but saying that the one on it has nto been a problem, of course I used steel rings which are stronger, or more likely stronger, than alliminium ones and certainly harder.

Offline model 99

« Reply #114 on: October 06, 2008, 06:52:17 AM »
    Hey Brit, glad to see you're still here. And bilesteve, what did you decide about the SPR. Did you happen to go to Cleburne and check out the SunOptics outfit. Just curious. I'd like to meet Dewayne and see what kind of a setup they are.
    I've had to put everything on the back burner for a little while. Discovered I had colon cancer and had to have a foot of colon removed. They also took out 19 lymph nodes, two of which were cancerous. Then they found a tumor in the liver. Am on chemo to try and shrink it so it can be burned out. If it won't shrink with the chemo in two months, they will have to cut it out. Uggh. I'm doing ok though, considering.
    I'm still going to try and get with my buddy at the firing range and do a bit of fine tuning. Some friends invited me, again, to come out to their cabin and do some coyote shooting. Haven't made it yet. Dang, what am I waiting for. Soon though.
Happy shooting

Offline lonewolf5348

« Reply #115 on: October 06, 2008, 10:38:33 AM »
model 99 : I had a good buddie went threw almost the same surgery last year he doing fine now I wish you speedy recovery

Offline model 99

« Reply #116 on: October 09, 2008, 06:32:14 AM »
Thanks Lonewolf. I've talked to several who have gone through something very similar and I believe there is hope. Sure praying in that way.
Happy shooting to all!

Offline lonewolf5348

« Reply #117 on: November 01, 2008, 11:14:55 AM »
I got a chance to day to get the 243 SPR18 on the range :let see I got a bad cold the stock is to long and the trigger feels like squeezing it threw sand paper.
I still have to say all 5 shot in one at the bench at 75 yards

Offline mike@nds

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
    • NoDak Spud, LLC
« Reply #118 on: November 05, 2008, 02:54:38 PM »
I have one in .308, super accurate (sub 1"). The trigger was waaaaay too heavy so I tried to install a lighter spring but that didn't allow for consistant primer hits.

I decided to shorten the factory spring a little, and combined with some hammer notch polishing work well.

Here's a pic from last years hunt. I didn't take 2 different shots with it, but I didn't mind.

Scope is a Leupold VXII 2X in Millet rings.

NoDak Spud, LLC
www.nodakspud.com

Offline lonewolf5348

« Reply #119 on: November 06, 2008, 10:11:43 AM »
I did have some time to day so it now or never I went over to the chop saw and changed the blade with a 80 tooth blade masked the stock with tape and removed 1/2" on wood.
I am going to use a Pachmayr .040 recoil pad 500B model may or may not add a white spacer to the walnut stock I should have a total of 13 1/2" on the L.O.P.
I also look at the trigger setup while the stock was off the gun and found a little rust on the internal part which I cleaned up and added some Teflon oil to the sear and hammer.
I was going to remove the sear and and hammer but I thought I try bolstering the hammer a few times and it work out great I got rid of the sandy pull and just lifted the sear spring a tad:I now have a 3 lb trigger pull and can't complain