Author Topic: Remington SPR18  (Read 78900 times)

Offline jim huntington

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Remington SPR18
« Reply #60 on: May 21, 2007, 01:32:48 PM »
      Well I finally got my BKL off set scope mounts and have put them on my spr18 with a compact 4x scope. I put the one off set mount facing toward the rear as to get the scope closer to my eye.The rings tieghtened down pretty good and should hold up to the 308's recoil.Now all I have to do is get it bore sighted and take it to the range.The scope seems to be back far enough and seems to be right about were I want it. Once I shoot it I will get a better idea on how its going to work. :P

Offline Southern Hunter

« Reply #61 on: May 25, 2007, 03:55:25 AM »
Like Brithunters'. the Remington is just called a Bakial model 18 here in Australia.
I have just placed an order for a 308Win version, and picked up a  second hand 12ga model 18 as well.;D
I decided after 20 years of everything from Semis to Bolts to Levers I just wanted simplicity.
Single shot and accurate, from all reports the 308 is quite accurate, would have preferred a 7x57 but not available currently in Oz.
My son is already showing intrest in the bakial and I may need to add a 410 to the rack  ::) 

Brithunter, what did you do to improve the trigger pull and also how did you stain you stock?

thanks and good hunting

Southern.

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #62 on: June 01, 2007, 11:42:56 AM »
Hmmm sorry for the delay but have been having ISP problems.

I stripped the action and smoothed the sear and trigger mating sufaces and if I remember right also reduced the coil spring by a coil . It lightened the pull but I was not able to remove all the creep........................ however it was over two years ago I did this. Here is the action internals:-

Now the wood I first tried commercial wood stain but hated the result. Then an oid Gunsmith told me about Potassium permanganate crystals. Mix a teaspoon with a little water (it turns purple) and paint in on the wood. The solution reacts wiht eh wood fibres changing their colour. you can apply several coats to get the darkness you want. I was in a hurry so only did it once. Hope that helps. Oh I got the crystals from the local chemists.

Offline Southern Hunter

« Reply #63 on: June 01, 2007, 03:12:00 PM »
Thanks for the hints ,  Potassium Permanganate (Condys' Crystals)  Okay, now what did you use to protect the stain?

waiting for my paperwork to arrive then I can go and " tinker", I'll post a report when I've finished.

regards to all,

Hey maybe we should start our own subject forum here at greybeards, there seems to be enough interest.

Southern Hunter.

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #64 on: June 01, 2007, 11:30:21 PM »
I used plain ole BLO (Boiled Linseed Oil).

Oh When I stripped the wood I worked it over with a file and accented and cleaned up the sheilds at the head of the butt then fluted the nose of the comb and accented the pistol grip so it went from looing like this :-

to this:-

here is a close up of the wood :-

On my rifle the wood was almost a pure white, not sure of the wood type used, it will take a few coats due to it's very light colour. I have since swapped off the rubber pad (.222 rem does not need one of those) and fitted a std Baikel butt plate which I had to file down to size.

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #65 on: June 02, 2007, 03:25:48 AM »
I have since swapped off the rubber pad (.222 rem does not need one of those) and fitted a std Baikel butt plate which I had to file down to size.

You will wish it had the rubber pad back on it if you stand it in a corner!  I prefer a thin rubber recoil pad for that reason alone...

DM

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #66 on: June 02, 2007, 11:30:37 PM »
Ahhhhhhhhhhh carpeted floors are the answer!

In all honesty I have not noticed a problem with this, at present it's lent up against the corner of the wardrobe door as I am about to go out with it.

Offline Southern Hunter

« Reply #67 on: June 03, 2007, 09:46:15 PM »
I used plain ole BLO (Boiled Linseed Oil).

Oh When I stripped the wood I worked it over with a file and accented and cleaned up the sheilds at the head of the butt then fluted the nose of the comb and accented the pistol grip so it went from looing like this :-

to this:-

here is a close up of the wood :-

On my rifle the wood was almost a pure white, not sure of the wood type used, it will take a few coats due to it's very light colour. I have since swapped off the rubber pad (.222 rem does not need one of those) and fitted a std Baikel butt plate which I had to file down to size.

Sounds like birchwood, thats very white and is the standard wood on a Baikal, beech and walnut are options (where available).

How did you flute the forend, your handiwork is excellent.

cheers from Oz  Southern Hunter.

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #68 on: June 05, 2007, 02:37:35 AM »
I used a 10" round rat tail file. Have more engineerning tools than wood working so I use what I have and am familar with although I did use an old Spoke Shave to thin down the fore end. The shield shapes at the head of the Butt stock was shaped down using a 2nd Cut 8" file. A wire brush was used to keep the file clean and unclogged. All file marks were rubbed out using 600 grit wet and dry paper

Offline jim huntington

« Reply #69 on: July 12, 2007, 03:29:28 PM »
Well I took my spr18 to the range to sight it in with the Ncstar 4x compact scope.Sad to say it didnt work. I ran out of adjustment for elevation.Left to right was ok but was hitting over 2' high with no more adjustment.I took it off and put a Bushnell 3x9 standard scope on the spr18 that I had on another gun.The little 4x scope will find a new home on a .22. The 3x9 scope should work ok as my Buddy has the same thing on his spr18 .223.His shoots just fine. :P

Offline Tom_G

« Reply #70 on: October 06, 2007, 12:26:37 PM »
Aloha all!

I picked up one of these in 7.62x39.  And, like many others, I'm having an issue with it not cracking the primers on military-grade ammo.  I've gotten to the internals, and managed to get out the hammer spring, but after that I'm clueless. 

It looks to me like the channel where the hammer travels is really rough and could use some polishing, and probably some of the mating surfaces in there could use a little help as well, but I don't see how she comes apart.  Could anyone who has done this give me a dis-assembly tutorial?

Also, I purchased a n aperture sight from NECG that mounts nicely on the 11mm rail.  Only catch is, with it at its lowest setting, and the front sight at its highest setting, I'm grouping waaaaay high.  What would be involved in replacing the front sight?

Mahalo!
Tom G

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #71 on: October 28, 2007, 08:01:50 AM »
BKL mounts are the only mounts I found that work very well with all scopes. Very happy with my 308.............

Offline jim huntington

« Reply #72 on: October 28, 2007, 02:04:20 PM »
         I put the BKL,two piece, offset mounts on my spr18 .308cal. And combined them with a 3x9 Bushnell scope.That did the trick. The gun is all sighted in and ready for the up and coming deer season.I agree with  you that the offset rings are the way to go.The two piece ones are more versitle than the single ones are.Thats my opinion! :P

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #73 on: October 28, 2007, 02:17:55 PM »
Mine are the 2 piece ones,, were a little difficult getting them on, but they are rock solid now.................

Offline jjamna

• Avid Poster
« Reply #74 on: October 29, 2007, 06:36:30 PM »
Guess I will be getting one in 270 Win. Where do you get the BKL mounts?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #75 on: October 29, 2007, 07:02:50 PM »
From GBO sponsor, BKL Technologies.  ;)

Tim

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/index.php
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline jjamna

• Avid Poster
« Reply #76 on: October 30, 2007, 05:34:32 PM »
Brownells ' has same rings for half the price. I know you want to do business with a sponsor but if I can get en for 1/2 price and the sponsor still makes $ then that should be the way to go.

Offline jim huntington

« Reply #77 on: November 02, 2007, 06:02:09 AM »
        The reason it took so long for my BKL mounts to arrive was that the co. had moved their operation to a different facility and hadnt gotten totally set up.My mounts were put on back order for awhile. When they finally came in and were installed on the rifle, they worked great. In my opinion the offset mounts are the way to go. :P

Offline Frank46

• A Real Regular
« Reply #78 on: December 18, 2007, 01:39:55 AM »
Sure wish that they would include the 30-30 in their line of chamberings. Would make a dandy cast bullet rifle. Regards, Frank

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #79 on: December 19, 2007, 07:30:37 AM »
Hi All,

I will try to answer the questions asked :-

Could anyone who has done this give me a dis-assembly tutorial?

Hmmm as it was so long ago I cannot remember exactly how it comes apart and I only took it down enough to lighten the trigger. However I did remember that to remove the hammer spring and strut is best removed by usign a small allen key to keep the spring compressed. If you look there is a small notch at the rear which lines up with a hole in the srtut. Insert the key here and de-cock the hammer and the spring is easy to remove. The domed head screw retains the trigger spring and is a little awkward to get a driver on it but but careful use it can be undone. The hammer is located by a tranverse pin which would need to be driven out, quite normal but I have not looked at how the cocking lever itself is fitted.

Offline drew2

« Reply #80 on: February 09, 2008, 01:21:49 AM »
I've found this thread to be very useful.
I picked up my Baikal IZH-18MH in .223 last week. I haven't fired it yet, hopefully I'll put some break in rounds soon.
I've been looking at the BKL rings on Brownell's web page, which ones are the correct rings for this gun?
Also, would anyone know what the twist rate for the .223 is?

Thanks, Andrew (Australia)

Offline lrs

• A Real Regular
« Reply #81 on: February 13, 2008, 01:31:45 PM »
I am a little intrigued by this rifle.  What calibers does it come in?  I've seen 30-06, 223, and 7.62X39.
" we are screwed "

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator

Offline lrs

• A Real Regular
« Reply #83 on: February 14, 2008, 02:05:59 PM »
Thanks for providing that.  I checked it out, hoping against all odds, they might make one in a .35 Remington.  Of course they do not.  I can understand that. 
I've just been obsessed lately about getting a .35 Remington in a single shot rifle. 
" we are screwed "

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #84 on: February 14, 2008, 02:36:53 PM »
One option is to get a 357mag/max NEF Handi or an accessory barrel for your frame if you have one already and have it rechambered, mine shoots very well.  ;) You could do the same with a 357mag Rossi I would think if they made one.

Tim

Offline Jeff3230

« Reply #85 on: February 24, 2008, 02:38:00 PM »
Hi guys. I'm new here. I just got one of these guns in a .243 cal. I put a cheap set of rings that I had for a .22 here just to try the gun out. Like others I've had a problem with some misfire. But after reading the posts here I'm going to break it down and clean out the grease and do some polishing. I put a 3-9x40 tasco on it to give it a shot. It was very close from the time I put the scope on. Only about 3" off at 50 yards. I got it within 1/2" and moved back to around 100 yards. It shot about 5 or 6 inches high. Kinda expected that since the first zero was 50 yards. I dropped it down a bit and shot the last two bullets I had with me. They landed within 1/2" of each other. Now I got to get another box to see if the cheap little rings I used will hold that group. Best part is guys, I got it all on tape with two different cameras and uploaded the whole thing to youtube! Here's the link for those who would like to see it.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Aw5q4j95Tfw

Looking forward to hearing more from you guys on your guns!

Offline Frank46

• A Real Regular
« Reply #86 on: March 08, 2008, 06:35:48 PM »
Good evening all, been following your posts regarding the Rem SPR18. In an earlier post I made the comment about them making it in 30-30.Was
looking at some of the pics on the remington web site. The barrel appears to be of mono block construction. To get a different caliber not listed
on the web site, A good gunsmith should be able to cut off the barrel at the front of the mono block and thread it and install a new bbl in the desired caliber and alter the extractor to fit. Sounds like a lot of work. But, there was an article in "Precision Shooting" some years back whereby the author did just that with T/C '83 if I recall and he had managed to fit any number of take off remington barrels in various calibers. Food for thought?. Regards,Frank

Offline Jeff3230

« Reply #87 on: March 12, 2008, 11:00:32 AM »
Hum...... never thought about that! That's a great idea! I'm going to look into that! I would really like to have a .308 chambered barrel for it.

Offline kyoung

« Reply #88 on: March 20, 2008, 05:01:40 AM »
I am looking at this gun for a lightweight backpacking hunting rifle.  Has anyone shot out past 100 yds. with a 270, 30-06 or 308 caliber in factory loads?

I have been searching the net for a synthetic stock and forearm for this rifle, doesn't look like they are available yet.  Since the Handi rifle is offered with a synthetic stock, I figure it is just a matter of time before the SPR18 is offered that way also.

Offline model 99

« Reply #89 on: March 29, 2008, 01:25:37 PM »
Hi fellas/gals,
Just came across the GBO website last night and noticed quite a bit of interest in the SPR18. I have one in .223 and will pass on what I have discovered. Of particular interest was mounting a scope on the 11mm rail.

I came across one of the design engineers who worked for B-Square and has begun his own company. It is called Sun Optics out of Cleburne, Tx. Dewayne Sorensen is the owner and can be reached at 817-944-2981.

He has made a scope rail that slides on the dovetail that is machined into the receiver and clamps down with three allen head screws. It has some leeway to move fore and aft. It also has an extension that extends forward so that the rings can be positioned across a span so that there is about 3 inches of distance between the insides of the two rings. I have plenty of distance fore and aft for the scope turrets. With the adjustment on the rail and the adjustment on moving the rings that best suits the positioning of the scope, I have plenty of room to adjust for the eye relief that I need. No drilling necessary. Can all be done yourself. Verrry easy.

I purchased my unit as a combo with rail and Weaver rings combined. Takes about two minutes to mount the rail and a few minutes to mount the scope and rings, depending on what is comfortable for you. There are also adjustable rings available for extra windage and elevation if you think you need them. Some have indicated that there wasn't enough adjustment in the scope to get satisfactory results when sighting in. He told me he didn't think I would need them --- I didn't.

I took a World Class Tasco 4X9 off of another gun to put on it. At 50 yds I wasn't on paper. After a few shots, I found paper and got it dialed in enough that I thought I could find paper at 100 yds. After a few more shots I had a 3 inch group. I know I can do better with a little more tweaking, but I'm happy with it for all the more shooting I've done with it. Now I wouldn't trade that rail/ring set up for anything. Oh, it also came with three allen wrenches for mounting, adjustment, etc. Everything was there I needed. Very happy with it. Now its coyote time. As someone has said, "As long as I'm fishing, the coyote are safe."

I also noticed that there was some inquiry as to the calibers available. Maybe it has already been noted but I'll include it anyway. Go to the following Remington website: I hope I have gotten all the address correct: http://www.remington.com/library/history/firearem_models/centerfire/SPR18N.asp

I called Remington to see if there were other barrels that could be purchased separately. I wanted to be able to swap barrels and therefore be able to change calibers. They said no because the barrels are fitted specifically to the receiver. I wanted to order one in another caliber to have a quick change if I wanted it. Can't do it. Also, at this point, wood is the only material avialable and I don't believe there is going to be anything in the future unless someone besides Remington decides to provide something.

The fluted, hammer forged barrel is kind of neat. I asked a gunsmith about it. In his opinion, the hammer forged is very good. I wasn't sure I'd like the fluted barrel but turns out it is quite nice. While shooting at the range, a fella stopped to take a look and was wondering "what is with the barrel." After looking it over, he said it looks kind of cool.

The only down side so far is what some others have indicated. Trigger pull is a bit stiff and a bit of travel before it fires. Thanks to one of the fellas for posting the pics of the internals of his. Gives me an idea what to look for. I want to try to make it a little better. All in all, I'm happy with it.

Here in Oregon, I paid $230 plus $10 background check. Sounds like some others are getting a little better deal in other parts of the country. Uncle Lee's in Kentucky had them for $199.99 but that was at the counter. They wouldn't ship. Counter priced only.

If I think of anything else of significance, I'll post it. Can't think of anything else right off of the top of my head. If you have a question, ask it. I may have already talked to someone about it.
Oh, Dewayne sent me a couple of pics on an email. If you want to see the setup he offers, I'll have to forward it to you. Maybe someone else can post the pics. I don't have a clue where to begin.
Happy shooting !