Author Topic: Remington SPR18  (Read 78896 times)

Offline Rangr44

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: Remington SPR18
« Reply #150 on: June 03, 2009, 01:22:04 PM »
FYI:  FWIW, The latest issue of Guns & Ammo magazine (Jul 2009) has a gun review/article featuring a .30-06 SPR18.
There's a Place for All God's Creatures - Right Next to the Potatoes & Gravy ! !

Offline Chappers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #151 on: June 04, 2009, 01:14:18 PM »
Can you scan the article and post it here for some of us that don’t live in the states?

Offline Rangr44

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #152 on: June 06, 2009, 02:06:18 AM »
Sorry, I don't own a scanner, and G&A hasn't put the new issue on their website yet - at least, I couldn't find it.

There's a Place for All God's Creatures - Right Next to the Potatoes & Gravy ! !

Offline lonewolf5348

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #153 on: June 06, 2009, 08:12:46 AM »
GOOD RANGE REPORT
I shot another 25 rounds no problems every bullet fired
I know it won't shhot the 105 speer SP bullet still keyholes
the sierra 85 grain HPBT tack drives them with IMR 3031 people say they are a deer killer I will give them a try this season.

Offline lonewolf5348

« Reply #154 on: June 13, 2009, 12:55:02 PM »
Another excellent range day 30 more rounds no mis-fires
mt best load is IMR3031 35.9 grains 85 grain HPBT Sierra  just one hole out to 100yards.
I also tried the 100 grains  sierra SP also using IMR3031 I think it was 32.5 grains around 2700 FPS shot excellent I would say the rifle likes the faster burning powder .

Offline R.W.Dale

• Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #155 on: June 20, 2009, 04:54:43 PM »
Well the 303 conversion is done. I shot it yesturday and even firing cheap privi (for the brass) ammo my 3 shot groups were well inside minute of deer at 100, nothing outstanding mind but encouraging results for a first time out with  cheap ammo and a scope of dubious origin. Recoil wasn't too bad and opening and extraction was as smooth as butter. The condition of the fired cases was outstanding. It's odd for 303 brass to not get halfway mutilated on the first firing.

However there are two problems with such a conversion that I had no Idea of before I did this.

1 The Spr18 has a chrome lined bore

2 you aren't supposed to ream chrome lined barrels without a special carbide reamer :o

Luckily for me I was hand reaming and took thing very very slow (no choice 3 hrs of cranking :o) and used massive quantities of lubricant so I didn't damage the reamer. Had I been using a lathe the reamer would have been toast.

I'll go back to the range in the AM with a different scope and some handloads and post a more comprehensive report

Offline Barbegris

« Reply #156 on: June 22, 2009, 07:46:26 AM »
Well I've got light strikes as well with my Spartan (7.62X39) and due to US trade restrictions there is no available 7.62X39 brass in Canada right now.

When I cock the gun the cocking lever is very close to the grip of the stock and my knuckles barely clear....then when the trigger is pulled the hammer drops and hits the cocking lever driving it further away from the stock where I feel it should have been in the first place!
Obviously while the hammer is impacting the cocking mechanism it is also being slowed down to the point where it does not even scratch a military primer.

It seems to me like the engagement of the lock up latch is not correct and needs to be re fitted to allow the cocking lever to travel further down so as not to interfere with the hammer.

Has anyone else noticed the movement of the cocking lever when firing?

Here are some pictures and measurements of my rifle.
Knuckle clearance

Before firing

After firing

Barrel removed to show max lever travel

Offline lonewolf5348

« Reply #157 on: June 22, 2009, 11:26:34 AM »
Mine set up like picture number #4
I have taken it a part so many times it a simple action to work on.

Offline Barbegris

« Reply #158 on: June 22, 2009, 07:40:41 PM »
Lone wolf, so when yours is cocked and locked up it's like picture number 4...

I can't believe they would ship a gun that is so far from fitted! ???
If it's so easy to work on you'd think they could just do the work before it left the factory.

I'm away right now but when I get home I will look at it again.....I'm guessing the easiest thing to do would be to take a file to the recess that the lug engages into on the barrel.....gotta love filling away on a brand new gun!

Offline lonewolf5348

« Reply #159 on: June 25, 2009, 12:53:28 PM »
I did to day a total of 100 rounds after the fix not one misfire or light hits.
I can say it will tack drive the sierra 85 grain HPBT with IMR3031 35.9 grains.
I shot to day from the bench 3 rounds and I almost had all 3 rounds in the same hole at 100 yards target ,100 grains I yet to get a load it will shoot that good.
I will stay with the sierras this year for whitetails

Offline R.W.Dale

« Reply #160 on: June 28, 2009, 04:23:42 AM »
it's taken me awhile to work out some load issues but here's a few groups I shot today with my 303 SPR 18

For some reason it seems as though this rifle had to "shoot in" before accuracy started to settle in in a predictable manner.

Offline Chappers

• Avid Poster
« Reply #161 on: June 28, 2009, 04:30:42 AM »
Wow! you did a good job.

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #162 on: June 28, 2009, 04:42:47 AM »
it's taken me awhile to work out some load issues but here's a few groups I shot today with my 303 SPR 18

For some reason it seems as though this rifle had to "shoot in" before accuracy started to settle in in a predictable manner.

I'd take those groups and go hunting.  I'd be using it for a stalking/still hunting/stand hunting gun for shots out to 250yds max.  It wouldn't be a beanfield rifle!  That conversion is looking better to me each passing minute.  Have you tried any other factory ammo though it?  I'm not a reloader, so I'd be running factory stuff through it.  Heck, I'd even send you some money to help pay for a few boxes of factory stuff, just to see it it's feasible or not. 

That set-up looks pretty good too.  When the gun first hit the market, I wasn't too sure about the looks, but as I've seen more of them, it's definitely growing on me.  Has anyone debated getting the gun machined to take a weaver style rail, and eliminate the extra close ring spacing?

I have heard rumors that Remington isn't importing the Baikal guns anymore, or the mauser action rifles.  I heard that EAA picked them up again?

Offline R.W.Dale

« Reply #163 on: June 28, 2009, 04:52:33 AM »
Have you tried any other factory ammo though it? 

No I haven't as of yet. Pushing $30 a box for 303 ammo from the big three ammo brands is a real buzzkill.

So far I'm still loading on that initial 20 privi cases....it's all I have :-\

As for the scope mount I've found that the extended eye relief bushnell banner pictured is working out rather well right where the limited ring spacing puts it held in place with a pair of angle/loc rings.

Offline R.W.Dale

« Reply #164 on: July 11, 2009, 03:20:02 AM »
I shot this group this morning with the .303 Remington as a submission for my "Century" match over on THR

Offline lonewolf5348

« Reply #165 on: July 17, 2009, 08:31:12 AM »

Top group was the nosler 95 grain BT IMR 3031 34.0 grains at 2.650
The bottom were sierra 85 grain HPBT but I did change the COAL to 2.725
I find the SPR 18 243 cal.  does not like to shoot bullets off the lands the group will open up :I can but the sierra to gether if I go back to 2.650

Offline Barbegris

« Reply #166 on: July 19, 2009, 09:07:23 PM »
Well I had a good talk with a GrayBeard at the gunshop yesterday....turns out I just wasn't closing the action with enough force to seat the cocking mechanism further!

I'll post some results hopefully with 7.62X39 surplus ammo this week.

Offline lonewolf5348

« Reply #167 on: July 30, 2009, 02:59:26 PM »
I don't think it will get any better but I do think I went over the max: charge.
I was reading some info but can't seem to find it again on this load maybe someone can tell me if I am O.K.
The above shot from the bench to night at 75 yards
noslers Bt 95 grain
IMR 4350 43.0 grains
COAL 2.700
I can say this gun was ready to be a stake in the ground but I never did give up

Offline Barbegris

« Reply #168 on: August 02, 2009, 10:18:14 AM »
Well I got out to the range with the SPR-18 in 7.62X39 last week and did some limited testing at 25 yards....no problem with ignition with surplus ammo and most of the shots were touching with the odd flyer!
I must say I'm stoked that the surplus rounds work in this rifle, the one issue I did have was the firing pin was getting stuck in the primer for some reason from time to time making it difficult to break the action. A sharp tap on the barrel with my hand and the receiver on my thigh would get it open but I could see where the firing pin had dragged along the primer till it popped free.

I think I will try smoothing out the end of the firing pin a bit and see if that helps...

Offline wganz

• Contributor
« Reply #169 on: August 02, 2009, 05:03:54 PM »
I have heard rumors that Remington isn't importing the Baikal guns anymore, or the mauser action rifles.  I heard that EAA picked them up again?

http://www.ussginc.com/
http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=9935_13987_17591

Offline lonewolf5348

« Reply #170 on: August 03, 2009, 12:58:43 AM »
I went to the local hardware store and got a heavy spring and remove the thin junk they used,works perfect.
the trigger pull breaks at 2 1/2lbs (sweeet)

Offline Barbegris

« Reply #171 on: August 03, 2009, 05:35:55 AM »
Which spring did you replace?

Offline lonewolf5348

« Reply #172 on: August 03, 2009, 07:20:52 AM »
firing pin spring ,the one they use from the factory has no tension on it
I broke 2 firing pins trying to set the action up down to 2 1/2lbs
I was told to watch for headspacing when the firing pin get stuck the case is not centered in the action.
read a few post back ,I did have a few light stikes and sticky firing pins until I re-set the die to resize full length

Offline Barbegris

« Reply #173 on: August 03, 2009, 03:50:37 PM »
Lonewolf, I re-read your posts and it seems I may be experienceing the same thing you did....
What spring did you use for a replacement and where did you get the extra firing pins from?
I think I should order some now just in case!
Thanks for the info!!

Offline Chappers

• Avid Poster
« Reply #174 on: August 14, 2009, 02:40:22 AM »
Took the Baikal out into the field...

Got to say it a light handy little rifle and also i was surprised how fast  you can reload a brakeaction  rifle when you need to.

for the story look for the topic “sneaked a bit of hunting into my holidays” in the Australia  & Pacific section

Cheers

Offline Brithunter

« Reply #175 on: September 21, 2009, 06:28:44 AM »
Well I still have my Baikal MH18 in 222 Rem and I think I will try and keep it now and instead I will sell my Martini Enfield 303 AC11 as I will still have the 303 Muscat Martini. It will now depend upon the Police Licensing officer and she can be as awkward as heck  ::) :(.

A holding deposit is paid on the 1956 BSA Hunter in 222 Rem so something has to go to make room for it as somehow I don't think I can wangle two more rifles onto my licence  :'(.

Offline MikeSki

« Reply #176 on: November 16, 2009, 10:42:12 AM »
Hi
I just joined this sight and found the discussion about the SRP18.
I bought one in a 308 2 years ago. I found that it is much more accurate that I expected. The range results are just like everyone else reported. However I have found many problems with the scope mounting systems. I could not get any of the rings suggested by Remington  to stay on the rifle. Sometimes thay would slide with the recoil and several times that flew completely off, shooting factory loads. I finally got hold of the one piecwe BKL 253 Mounts and had a gunsmith add a screw through the top of the mount threaded into the mounting rail plate on the rifle. This keep everything in place.
However there are several problems with this one piece ring system.
   1. There is only about 1/8 inch clearince between the ring base and the scope tube and most scopes
        have turet sections that extend more than 1/8 inch below the tube.
   2. Due to the height of this ring system I find that most scopes do not have enough vertical adjustment
       range to get on target. The only scope I have found to work is a very cheap and old 4 power. I would
       like to use a good 2 to 7 or 3 to 9 power but even my Leopould do not have enough range.
Has anyone one found a lower setting mount or a scope that has the adjustment range needed for this rifle?
It is a lot of fun to shoot!!!
Thanks
Mike

Offline MikeSki

« Reply #177 on: November 16, 2009, 10:55:51 AM »
Hi
OOPS
My fingers are typing challenged it should be the SPR 18 (not SRP)
Please bare with me
Thanks
Mike

Offline Charlie-SA

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #178 on: January 31, 2010, 01:29:39 AM »
Just picked up a SPR18 in 30-06 last week.  Have not been to the range with it yet but I like what I see so far.  Has anyone tried one of the 11mm dovetail to Picatinny adaptors for scope mounting?  A couple of places offer an adaptor, B-Square one of them.  The B-Square adaptor seems a little to long but the one by Accushot looks like it would work.  Having a Picatinny adaptor would give you a lot of flexibility.

Offline Airsporter

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #179 on: February 01, 2010, 11:49:03 PM »
I bought one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Scope-Mount-Fits-Baikal-IZH-SP-18-SP-94-NEW_W0QQitemZ110488688722QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item19b9a39852

Very nicely made but does raise the line of sight a bit.  Standard airgun rings will fit and good ones also have a vertical stop pin that will engage the groove in the receiver.  Many don't realize that spring-powered airguns are tougher on scopes and mounts than centerfire rifles.

Check these out:

http://www.pyramydair.com/a/Mounts_bases_rings_levels_and_scope_stops/2-piece_mounts/3_8_and_11mm_dovetails/1_rings/61

The offset rings might be a good bet with the short receiver dovetail.