Author Topic: Using .480 Ruger factory loads in a .475 Linebaugh  (Read 537 times)

Offline JHT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Using .480 Ruger factory loads in a .475 Linebaugh
« on: December 10, 2006, 01:25:44 AM »
There are several people that would like to shoot my .475 Linebaugh, but who do not want to challenge the recoil of Buffalo Bore manufactered rounds.  I do not at the current time handload although at one time I did tinker in this area.  My question is, will .480 Ruger factory loads be tolerated 100% in my converted Bisley.  I do not worry about the strength of the gun, just about the sizing of the cartdrige.  If the response is in the affirmative, I would like to hear from those with experience with .480 Ruger loadings in the Linebaugh and which factory loads that you may recommend?  Thanks,

Jay
"Things will get done little by small."  ---  Joseph J. Venturo Sr.  ---  Joseph was my father-in-law, while he was not a formally educated man he certainly and without doubt was a very smart man, and a man who loved his children.

Offline dubber123

• Contributor
Re: Using .480 Ruger factory loads in a .475 Linebaugh
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006, 01:43:33 AM »
It is my understanding that this works fine, much like using 38's in a 357 mag.  Freedom Arms discourages this, claiming extended use can cause hard chambering when you switch back to the full length rounds.  I bet if you just clean it thouroughly after shooting the 480's, you will never have a problem.  I don't know how much recoil reduction you are after, but Hornady's 400 gr. XTP in 475 only runs about 1200+ out of my Linebaugh, and is very accurate.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2006, 02:36:34 AM »
first ill say i think your really limiting yourself buying a 475 and not handloading. I cant see how a guy can really master a big kicker buying factory ammo unless your alot richer then me! You can shoot them with no problem. Just clean your cylinder after ever session so you dont get any build up. As far as accuarcy goes ive shot 480s in mine and they did fine but not as well as light loaded 475 brass. Probably because of the bullet jump into the throats.
blue lives matter

Offline 2 dogs

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2006, 02:53:37 AM »
You are missing out on a whole new world if you dont reload. If you can afford a 475 you can afford a reloading kit. Casting is pretty fantastic too.

Offline JHT

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2006, 04:04:12 AM »
My best bud strongly agrees with you and yesterday we had the same lengthly conversation.  He spends hours per week reloading a variety of calibers, he was a competition marksmen during his stay in the Corp.  In the near future he will instruct me on how to precisely cast bullets and we will start to reload for the 475.  Thanks
"Things will get done little by small."  ---  Joseph J. Venturo Sr.  ---  Joseph was my father-in-law, while he was not a formally educated man he certainly and without doubt was a very smart man, and a man who loved his children.

Offline John R.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2006, 03:16:56 AM »
The 480's shoot fine out of my buddy's 475, but to be honest with you there was only about 100 to 150 fps difference in 475 factory loads and 480 factory loads.