Author Topic: .410 slugs in .45/.410 barrel?  (Read 643 times)

Offline messer454

• Trade Count: (3)
.410 slugs in .45/.410 barrel?
« on: December 10, 2006, 05:02:42 PM »
Anybody done any accuracy testing with .410 slugs in the .45 Colt/.410 barrel.  We are not allowed to use centerfire rifles in ohio to hunt deer and like I said in another post I may not agree with .410 for deer but a lot of youth are using them at archery distances in our youth season.  If .410 slug in rifled barrel with rifle sights is accurate it may be just the ticket.  I did not know they made this barrel.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: .410 slugs in .45/.410 barrel?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 02:21:08 AM »
Why not just use a .410 barrel? At "archery" ranges it will be very accurate and at 50 yards or so it should still be more than accurate enough with the right slug....<><.... :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Ironwood

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 05:56:36 AM »
Years back I toted a bolt .410 around with me, mostly for snakes.  One day I came across a group of wild hogs.  I eased the shot shell out and put in a slug while picking out a small hog to shoot.  I settled on a smaller, 50-60 pound sow.  Thinking back I can't remember just how far the shot was.  It was close, within the "archery" range I'm sure.  I took a heart shot, placing the slug right behind the onside leg as the little sow stepped foward.  Well I gotta tell ya!  That hog went right down in her tracks.  Just a little kicking and that was it.  I must say I was impressed!  I'm not sure how the slug would do on a deer, because there wasn't much penetration.  I did recover the slug.  The retained weight was 98 grains with the wadding.  That's not to bad considering, I think the slug onlys weighs 90 grains.

GO GREEN--RECYCLE CONGRESS

Born in the Pineywoods of East Texas a long long time ago.

Offline messer454

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 09:52:35 AM »
Msp-well I was just curious if it was more accurate.  I have not tested any personally but 50 yds seems like farther than my friends are saying they can get descent patterns at.  Since I have not done it myself though I can't say.  If it was more accurate that can't be bad right?

I also wondered if there was some way I could basicly handload a .45 Colt bullet or maybe a powerbelt bullet inside of a .410 shell to make it more accurate.  I have not done any measuring to see if this will work though.  Rifling would make that more accurate if it were possible.

thanks for the story ironwood-my cousin shot her first deer this year with her .410 sounds like it didn't go any farther than any other slug shot before expiring.  She shot it at 30 yds though and her father said it was at the "limit" of the shell?  My daughter wants to hunt now and that is the reason for all of the slug research.  Yes she is too small for a 20ga. before anyone suggests it.