Author Topic: 12 ga Ultra Slug question  (Read 603 times)

Offline dougp

• Trade Count: (0)
12 ga Ultra Slug question
« on: December 11, 2006, 09:59:18 PM »
I just bought a H&R Ultra Slug in 12ga and went to the range today.  I brought 2 types of shells w/ me.  Lightfield Hybrid and Rem Copper solids.  both shot awesome groups at 50 yds, but poor at 100 yards.  I am wondering if I did anything wrong in my sighting in.  Also with the copper solids, I had 3 misfires.  No other misfires.  I should tell you I shot a bunch of other miscellaneous sabots I had laying around to get my scope close to center.  I probably shot 40 rounds through it.  I'm wondering how you experts go about sighting in.  Was my barrel to hot??  Gun too dirty?  etc.  any suggestions would be appreciated. 

Offline Nixter

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Re: 12 ga Ultra Slug question
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 07:29:25 AM »
Hi Doug, welcome to GBO!

No info on the misfires for you but I'm sure someone with a clue will be along shortly.

One thought on your range session. It might have been too long. 40 shots from a 12 ga slugger is a pounding. Both on the shooter and equipment. Check your scope for tightness and your shoulder as well... ;)

By the way, what was the difference between the groups at 50 as opposed to 100 yards?

Hope the experts show up soon to address your questions.

Nixter

Ps. Local shop has an Ultra Slugger Deluxe that I've had my eye on, going to check on it tomorrow....

Offline Jack Ryan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 07:06:30 PM »
I just bought one of these about a week ago and had it out today.

It has a three inch chamber and I mounted a 3x9 scope on it.

I shot 5 reload slugs to start getting it on the paper. The first shot at 20 yards was 4 inches high and a couple left. Adjusted and the next shot was in the bull.

Moved to 25 yards and shot one more reload and it was about an inch off the bull, high and left.

Moved out to 50 yards and shot the last two reloads and it was pretty nasty. They were about 4 inches apart but still on a standard sheet of printer paper.

These reloads were all in 2 3/4 shells.

I cleaned the barrel and tried a few 2 3/4 Winchester sabots. They were on the paper and a little better than the reloads. I think I shot 3 of these for a group and made a little adjustment to center it again. I cleaned the barrel between every shot this time with a bore snake.

Finally after getting my butt kicked for half an hour I cleaned the barrel again and tried some 3 inch Federal sabots I bought by accident a couple years ago. I shot one of these butt kickers and it was about two inches high and an  inch left and I made a little adjustment on the scope and cleaned the barrel again. One more of these was all I wanted for the day and it was in the bull at 50 yards. I cleaned the gun and put it away with 3 shots left of the three inch mags intended for the gun.

I'd rather have a full group to confirm but I'm pretty confident at this point it's good for 50 yards and I really don't like shooting those 3 inch mags. Wish I'd gotton the 20 gauge barrel. I've about had enough of shot gun slugs for the year.

Offline usherj

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2006, 12:14:06 PM »
At least you had the USH with 8 lbs to it, try the tracker at under 6 lbs...youch!!