Author Topic: 20 ga. for turkeys?  (Read 924 times)

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
20 ga. for turkeys?
« on: December 12, 2006, 08:50:32 AM »
I am thinking about getting a 20ga. for my wife for turkey season next spring. She has never gone hunting but is willing to try it and I think the 20 ga. might be less kick for her. What do you think of the idea of a handirifle that I can shoot in some suitable caliber plus a 20 ga. barrel? That way it will be dual use. Is the 20 ga. suitable for turkey? do you guys recommend a particular model? thanks.

Joe
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
Re: 20 ga. for turkeys?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 12:35:12 PM »
If I were undertaking your project, I'd go with one of the new 20 youth model pardners with screw in chokes in a youth size. 22" barrel and youth size stocks should work great and the ability to change out choke tubes makes it a versatile little gun. Someone smarter than me should post a pic of "Lil Tom" the custom 20ga that belonged to the dearly departed MTNMAN. 20 ga is fine for tukey as long as you limit you range and pattern your gun to know what it's capable of.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline LEO

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 12:51:13 PM »
A buddy of mine switched to a 20 gauge autoloader season before last.  His success rate went way up.  He says the gun just kills better than the 12.  My theory on it is that since it doesn't kick him senseless everytime he touches the trigger and that he uses the same gun for most of his other shotgunnig chores, that he shoots it better.  I don't ever know of a severe flinch being productive to putting meat on the table.  But the bottom line is with good ammo that the shotgun likes the 20 gauge is more than adequate for turkey.  It is probably better than the 12 for a lot of folks because they let the birds get closer before they shoot.  Good hunting

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 05:17:58 PM »
thanks for the feedback.

what about my idea of doing some combination- a gun that I can use in a handi caliber plus fit it with a 20 ga. barrel for my wife? is that possible? those differences between SB1 and SB2 receivers get confusing to me.

If I cannot do a combo with a NEF/HR I do already have a Stevens single shot 20 ga. (full choke barrel) that we could try her on turkeys.  I don't want to buy another dedicated use 20 ga. necessarily. But I could always sell one of my other shotguns I suppose!
Joe
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 03:14:02 AM »
You could just buy a Handi in a rifle caliber for her (or you) and then order or buy a 20 guage barrel for it. You could get her a nice easy shooting .223 that has cheap ammo available and then get a 20 guage TDC with screw in chokes. With both a regular adult length buttstock and a nice youth buttstock with a recoil pad on it she (and you) would both be sitting pretty, a fine Christmas gift for you both!!!.

The key here is to start with a rifle (SB2 reciever) and then you can add any shotgun barrel she or you might want, except a 10 gauge or 12 USH which are both make to fit the 10 gauge frame. If you start with a shotgun (SB1 reciever) you are locked into adding shotguns barrels only.

The Stevens you have sounds like a good place to start, just shoot it on paper to be sure it patterns well and to determine your optimum range and which load shoots best. I suggest you shy away from "Big Boy" magnums for your wife and work on an accurate shot at a reasonable range for her.

You could always start by watching the classifieds here or around where you live for a used good .223, perhaps try some gun stores or pawn shops if you have them, we don't have pawn shops where I live but I hear some of the the best buys are available there. Also after hunting season and before or just after Christmas, as well as around Tax time (4/15) there are usually good buys to be found. Just be sure the Handi Rifle or shotgun you buy is new enough to have barrels added by the factory. When it gets to that point check the FAQ's about years of manufacture or ask here and you will be helped.

A good reading of the FAQ's will prove invaluable before you go out looking for a Handi, especially a used one. By reading and understanding the facts in the FAQ's you will have a bundle of good information to take with you when you go shopping. The hunt for the right used gun can be just as much fun as shooting the gun, and remember the down side is you too could become a Hnadiholic!!!....<><.... :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline dukkillr

• Moderators
    • The Daily Limit
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2006, 03:46:33 AM »
an auto 12ga shooting 2 3/4" shells will probably kick less than a single shot 20 shooting 3" shells.

Offline elkslayer4x5

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
    • EastOutfitters
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2006, 05:09:53 AM »
 Jal5,
    Just a small correction here. The shotgun recievers are SB1's and the rifle recievers are SB2's
"skin that 'en out and I'll get ye nother"

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2006, 06:04:52 AM »
Oops!!! I am not a fast typist but I was typing faster than my brain was working, that should tell you something. I have corrected the error and thanks.

Also there is no reason to go to 3" shells unless you are one of those "Magnumitis" people who always think they must shoot with the most powerful load out there while most likely develop a tremendous flinch while they are at it. This gun is for his wife and I am sure a 2 3/4" load properly placed wil do the job just fine. I always suggest to people that they become a hunter and not just  a shooter of the most powerful gun and caliber out there. Know you guns and loads limitations and then stay within it for a clean and humane kill.
Jal5, I suggest you get some turkey patterning targets and spend an enjoyable day at the range with your wife with whatever gun you end up with and determine the effective range of her, the gun, and the load combination and then stay within that range. Also while at the range I suggest you place a Sims slip on recoil pad over the youth stocked gun, right on top of the recoil pad there, at the bench the extra length will be of no hinderance and the double recoil pads will help her to enjoy the shooying and to gain confidence. If she wants leave it on or take it off for hunting, she will never remember the recoil when shooting at a turkey. I also suggest she wear good ear protection at the range so the noise does not bother her. Best of luck and congratulations on having a wife that wants to hunt with you!!!....<><.... :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2006, 07:19:38 AM »
thanks guys for the clarifications on differences in the handis.  I will shop around for one that can double as a rifle for me.  But to start out I will practise with her using the Stevens.  Definitely was going to add a recoil pad too as there is nothing there now if memory serves me correctly. There is only a bead front sight on that barrel- any suggestions for improvement with another sight?

Joe

Offline Critter

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2006, 09:41:30 AM »
As long as that bead points where the pattern hits your target I wouldn't worry about it too much.  Also don't buy "turkey loads" for the 20 ga.  If you look you can find a box of 25 with the same specs as the box of 10 "turkey loads".

Offline skifastchad

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2006, 02:13:52 PM »
As long as that bead points where the pattern hits your target I wouldn't worry about it too much.  Also don't buy "turkey loads" for the 20 ga.  If you look you can find a box of 25 with the same specs as the box of 10 "turkey loads".

Fiocchi golden pheasant shells in 3" #5 comes in a box of 25 and costs half of a ten pack of "turkey load".  It is just as fast and just as heavy as most turkey loads on the market too.  Ive killed 4 big toms with these shells and I still have 21 shots left in the box.

To the original poster of this thread... your concern was recoil.  I don't think a 12 or 20 gauge would make any difference.  Ask any turkey hunter if they remember the gun kicking when they shot a real bird.  The adrenaline kicks in and you will never remember the gun firing.  Shooting targets and patterning a turkey gun is a different story.

Offline TribReady

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2006, 03:37:26 PM »
I'm just going to agree with stuff already said.
I'd first pattern the Stevens-it may just be perfect for your need. I've grown out of the trap of thinking I need more/better, when i have something just fine already.
2-the 20ga is plenty for turkey at normal turkey ranges.
3- 3'' shells are not needed. Magnums are fine, but all my turkeys have been with 2 3/4'' shells.
4- If the Stevens doesn't pattern well, try multiple loads and manufactureres, then look for the sb2 receiver.  Of course, you may want to search out sb2 receivers anyway, even if the Stevens works out. The handi's make great, safe, reliable rifles and with the sb2 you can buy any barrel you want to tailor your gun for any particular game species or body type/size.
5- Like dikkillr said, an auto 12ga will kick less than a handi 20. Here again, the Stevens may just be the ticket to combine a little bigger gun with the slightly lighter 20ga load.
No matter what, enjoy the process coming up and best of luck to your wife this next season  ;)
A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have. -Thomas Jefferson

...if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.  -2 Chronicles 7:14