Author Topic: Hog`s in Ohio  (Read 1128 times)

Offline fuzzy

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
Hog`s in Ohio
« on: December 13, 2006, 06:02:35 AM »
Any body seen or shot any of this hog`s there talking about here in Ohio. Front page in the Columbus Dispatch week or so ago. Also on the ODWL site seams most ae in south Eastern part of the state. Rich
I rather be over the hill than in it

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (66)
Re: Hog`s in Ohio
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 11:11:54 AM »
i knew  some fellas from hamilton ohio over  by cinnci , and they shot a lot of them ,  nothin  real big but they got a couple of them every year,  told me they were good eats too, , they used 45colts 300 gr and 44 mag on them ,

Offline Doesniper

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2006, 11:44:00 AM »
A buddy of mind dropped a 186 13 pt. on the last day of modern gun. Another shot a nice 130's class 8 point on opening morning. I saw a ton of does, a few small bucks, and one tall monster I couldn't get a shot at.

Offline stimpylu32

• Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2006, 12:52:18 PM »
doesniper

I think that they were talking about the pis type of hogs not big deer , buy i'm glad to here that you guys did well this year . the ODNR is having fitts with the wild pigs tring to get them in check .

I for one am going to do my best to take some for them . ;)

Here is a link to some info about them .

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/wildlife/Hunting/wildboar/wildboarhunting.html
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline GregP42

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2006, 10:06:09 PM »
Hmm... Looking at that map maybe we should go check out some of these places sometime this year?

Greg
NRA Life Member
"Those who sacrifice essential liberty for temporary safety are not deserving of either liberty or safety."  - Ben Franklin, 1776
Vis Sis Mis!

Offline stimpylu32

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2006, 09:16:57 AM »
Greg

I know a few farmers south of Wapak that i will try to talk to and see if they have any ground or know any one that has wild hogs that they want shot , from looking at the map it would seem that SE Auglaize county has some pigs around .

I was watching a show the other night were they were shooting hogs with 270s from long range but i was thinking maybe this would be a good chance to use some of those 45/70 BP loads from a ground blind .
Deceased June 17, 2015

Offline GregP42

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2006, 11:58:15 AM »
Greg

I know a few farmers south of Wapak that i will try to talk to and see if they have any ground or know any one that has wild hogs that they want shot , from looking at the map it would seem that SE Auglaize county has some pigs around .

I was watching a show the other night were they were shooting hogs with 270s from long range but i was thinking maybe this would be a good chance to use some of those 45/70 BP loads from a ground blind .

Stimpy,

Your reading my mind  ;D 45/70 with a 500+gr lead slug pushed out there by BP, yea I can see Mr. piggy flopping over right now. I am not sure who to talk to around this area, I have lived in Ohio for 9 years now and still don't know that many people because of the shift I work.

Greg
NRA Life Member
"Those who sacrifice essential liberty for temporary safety are not deserving of either liberty or safety."  - Ben Franklin, 1776
Vis Sis Mis!

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2006, 02:13:08 PM »
thanks for the tip on this guys, didn't know we had a season on wild hogs here.  I am going to check with friends in nearby Belmont  and see what opportunities exist there.
You can use regular muzzleloader deer loads on hogs right?

Joe
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline stimpylu32

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2006, 02:33:05 PM »
There is no closed season for hogs in Ohio , you can hunt them year around , all you need is to follow the basic hunting laws . This may help .

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/wildlife/Hunting/wildboar/wildboarhunting.html
Deceased June 17, 2015