Author Topic: Clearidge Ultra RM Review  (Read 2022 times)

Offline TheOpticZone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.theopticzone.com
Clearidge Ultra RM Review
« on: December 13, 2006, 02:37:08 PM »
I would just like to share one of the first reviews on our Clearidge Ultra RM model scope.  You can get more information about the scopes at www.theopticzone.com/clearidgescopes.aspx or at www.clearidgeoptics.com.

Jon,

Thank you for the opportunity to preview the new Clearidge Ultra RM scope. I have been a life long Leupold fan and user of their scopes, both rimfire and centerfire. So naturally I was very critical in my comparison of the Clearidge Ultra RM, model #3300 to the Leupold VX-II Rimfire EFR, model # 58710. In short, I had my doubts about the Clearidge product.

Man was I ever wrong! My first impression was one of surprise. The Ultra RM is packed in an attractive carton with lens covers in place. The overall finish of this scope is equal to the finish of the Leupold. The positive click adjustments with finger adjustable windage and elevation knobs is a big plus over the coin slots on the Leupold, which also has click adjustments. The power selector ring on the Ultra RM is superior to the Leupold in my opinion. The Clearidge scope has a ring much easier to adjust and the larger ring on the Clearidge makes it easier to adjust when wearing gloves. It should be noted here that both scopes are mounted on CZ452 Lux stocked rifles utilizing the Talley #22CZRL low rings. While the power selector ring on the Clearidge scope is larger than that found on the Leupold, there was no scope/bolt interference when using these rings. I also found the Clearidge scope easier to focus than the fast focus of the Leupold. The Duplex reticle of the Clearidge is preferable to the Fine Duplex of the Leupold for hunting purposes and caused no problem shooting at targets.

I found the clarity and brightness on both scopes to be equal, with neither exhibiting any flare or fading through the power range. Resolution of the Clearidge is equal to the Leupold. I used the USAF resolution chart for this test.

The AO adjustment ring is firm, but posed no difficulty adjusting, even when wearing gloves. Close focus is listed as 10 yds. on the Clearidge and 10 meters on the Leupold. I found the Clearidge to actually focus down to 20 feet and the Leupold to focus down to 27 feet. Not a big deal to me, but some may find this beneficial.

Eye relief range of the Clearidge scope is better to me than the Leupold scope.

Repeatability and tracking of both scopes was without flaw. These tests were done in four inch increments at a range of 25 yards initially and reduced to one inch increments.

In summation, I find the Clearidge Ultra RM 3-9x32 AO to be the equal of the Leupold VX-II 3-9x33 Rimfire EFR in performance. And given the price difference, the Clearidge product is the better value.

Thank you for the opportunity to evaluate this scope. I believe you have a winner with the Clearidge scope line.

If you have any questions or comments, please call me.

Best Regards,
(aka; fullchoke @ RFC)
Nixa, MO

Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

The Place for all your Optic Needs!