Author Topic: THIS is going to make hunters look ridiculous.  (Read 1277 times)

Offline hardertr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
THIS is going to make hunters look ridiculous.
« on: December 14, 2006, 04:43:13 AM »
I am all for the hunting rights for disabled folks...but THIS is over the top.

http://www.gosanangelo.com/news/2006/dec/12/bill-would-allow-blind-hunters-use-lasers/

What sense of accomplishment could a blind person get out of having someone essentially AIM the rifle, and tell them when to pull the trigger.

AND THEN, there is the problem with accuracy.  The blind person would have to shoot from a vise, and the deer would have to stay still.  Imagine how many deer will be wounded and how many shots will completely miss thier mark.
The problem with troubleshooting is....sometimes it shoots back!

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Re: THIS is going to make hunters look ridiculous.
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 07:25:42 AM »
I am all for the hunting rights for disabled folks...but THIS is over the top.

http://www.gosanangelo.com/news/2006/dec/12/bill-would-allow-blind-hunters-use-lasers/

What sense of accomplishment could a blind person get out of having someone essentially AIM the rifle, and tell them when to pull the trigger.

AND THEN, there is the problem with accuracy.  The blind person would have to shoot from a vise, and the deer would have to stay still.  Imagine how many deer will be wounded and how many shots will completely miss their mark.

You should feel grateful you haven't lost your vision...Think of what you would do if you did...I think your missing the point completely...It would allow a blind person or severally vision impaired(legally blind) to be able to have a hunter along with them...and use a LASER SITE...no vice...just someone telling a blind hunter where to aim...and when time to pull...Damn dude...have a little compassion for the truly handicapped people in the world... >:( It is a sense of accomplishment for them...to be able to go back into the field...and be able to hunt again...I think it's a fine idea...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Cement Man

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006, 08:43:42 AM »
I think the term "legally blind" is kind of key here. Some people who are legally blind still have some working vision. I am sure there are folks who are vision impaired to the extent of being "legally blind" that would still enjoy the experience of hunting, and it is certainly prudent to require a sighted person to be with them.  I think the other key point is that they are simply allowing the use of laser type sighting devices for these legally blind hunters(only). 
I'm really touchy about anything that is, or could be, unsafe; anything that is unsporting, or anything that gives hunting a bad reputation.  I think that if the (required) sighted people in this case are responsible and safe, it might be a reasonable way to open up more opportunities for sight impaired people. Perhaps the sighted person person should be required to have training,  a hunter's safety card or some other qualification as in many states. There should be some qualification for the sighted person.  (Wouldn't want an 8 yr. old or totally unqualified person doing the sighted persons role!)  You can't take lightly the need to positively identify the target and what is behind it.  No guesswork allowed!!  Recently a 51 year old guy killed a man and his dog at 60-70 yards while deer hunting in a state park near my house.
I guess I can see issues on both sides of this proposal.
Also, if this were abused in any way, it could be extremely dangerous - so, I would impose extremely stiff penalties for any violations relating to this (proposed) regulation, and in addition to better qualifications for participants.
I'd support anything that will help handicapped people to hunt - as long as it can be done with good sportsmanship and safely.  I think the proposal needs a lot more details and definition, but may have possibilities if done right and not abused.
CIVES ARMA FERANT - Let the citizens bear arms.
POLITICIANS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO TWO TERMS - ONE IN OFFICE AND ONE IN PRISON.... Illinois already does this.

Offline Mannlicher

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2006, 09:08:29 AM »
As with so many issues these days, there are differing points of view.  The holders of each the different view are more into bashing each other than into discussing the pros and cons.
I feel that if one is to follow the basic safety rules, then seeing your target would be one of them.  What is the result if the blind person kill someone, their 'helper' mistaking a person for a deer?  Hey, its gonna happen.  Losing phyiscal ability, whether it be blindenss, deafness, or loss of motor ability, puts restrictions on people.  Simple as that.  Does not make them worth less as a person, but it will limit what they can do.  Sad, but thats reality.
Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Offline hardertr

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2006, 09:09:11 AM »
The report made it to national news....and of course, THEY had to remind the public that Texas (the state Mr. Kuempel represents) is where Cheney "accidentally shot a friend in the face."  They also took a quote from Kuempel assuring the public the public that visually impaired people can shoot because he's "seen it on TV."

I know Mr. Kuempel personally, he was always a friend of the family, and I am certain he means well by trying to get this through.  I just hope this doesn't spin out of control and make hunters/Texans/Republican look bad.  I know what MY first impression was, and I'm sure the Antis can take it a lot farther.

I think the media is going to have a hay-day with this one.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16157202/

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2006, 09:51:29 AM »
I'm sure it'll make good fodder for Jay Leno, Leatherman, et al.

Offline Matt

• .:{º.º}:.
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Inkredible Image
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2006, 12:13:13 PM »
But you know if you use a little logic in your thoughts about this then you may see that this indeed could prove to be a very safe way to hunt.

Think about it, for one some of these legally blind folks are most likely still in the woods anyway (legally blind does not mean totally blind) but now they could have a good set of eye with them. So now you have someone that will have to look at the exact place the bullet will be going. So there is a better chance that accidental shootings will occur in these cases.

Also for those who had enough common sense to stay out of the woods when their sight started going will now be able to go back into the woods. I am sure that this would have a positive effect mentally and emotionally for those people. And if they had enough sense to stay out of the woods then most likely they will pick a person with common sense to be their eyes.

I think we are really seeing the beginning of a push that will make lasers legal to all JMHO.

Matt
Any fool can know. The point is to understand.”
― Albert Einstein

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2006, 12:44:30 PM »
As long as a sighted hunter is required to accompany the seeing impaired hunter to act as his eyes I have no problem with it.  Why not put the technology we have to use to help handicapped individuals live a fuller life?   Maybe some of you rather we just lock these individuals up or better yet euthanize them so they can't pose a risk or be a burden to anyone... give me, and the handicapped a break.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2006, 02:13:30 PM »
My wife's sister is legally blind.  When she was married her husband treated her like an invalid, she could do nothing for herself.  But after a severe beating she left him and came to live with us.  My wife demamded she help with the house work.  That broke her out of her shell.  I then asked her for some help outside, soon she was helping stack wood I had split.  She helped me put up a shed, and she was real proud of her accomplishment.  She now cooks, does laundry, and loves to go places with me on a snow machine or four wheeler.  I have taught her to shoot a shotgun.  And from station one and seven she can hit the clay birds.  She sees shadows, that's all.  I have taken her out and let her shoot grouse, that is a thrill for her.  She has been a tremendous asset and help for my family since she came to live with us.  I have championed changes in the Alaska hunting regs to favor handicapped people eversince I got to know her.  This would be one thing I would like to see changed up here to help people like her.  She gets so excited when she discovers something new that she can do.  She loves to drive my track rig when we go out to the cabin, she can see well enough to miss the big trees, the little ones, she just runs over. 
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2006, 02:38:03 PM »
If we have to worry about every thing the anti's may or may not think of we are in a world of hurt. I am not blind but I am now handicapped and cannot get around like I used to though I can still walk I am pretty unstable on uneven ground yet I still live to hunt. I can only imagine some one who can hardly see and not being able to hunt. This gives them a chance to do what they still love. To condemn it is pretty selfish and uncareing. I know all about blindness my mother became blind due to a disease called Arteralitis ( SP) where the arteries get infected and swell up cutting off the circulation. THis mostly happens to folks over 60 and mostly females. If it happens to the arteries going to your eyes like my mom they swell up and shut off the blood flow which of causes you to go blind. Very fast acting by the time you start to get vision problems unless you get immediate help from a doc who knows about this it could be too late to save your vision. She lived her last 15 years blind and of all the things to disable you to lose your sight after you have had it for a most of your life sucks!
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2006, 02:48:00 PM »
   Hey..Ii have to come down on both sides..Does that make me a "moderate"..Heaven forbid !...LOL

Actually, when speaking about the truly blind...I have to agree with HarderTR..even though I am sure we both sympathize with blind folks...this sounds like a "politically correct" gimmick to me.

With the legally blind, Sourdough's post sure did this old heart some good..Just a little encouragement can go a long way..Sourdough; you did a right thing..

...And any "man" that beats his wife..especially one that is blind...well, ..I guess I better shut up !!!

If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2006, 02:50:27 AM »
i assume it is putting a laser on a gun and a sighted person helping them.  it is done here in wisconsin for years quite effectively.   some of you need to quit pandering.... and loook at the bigger picture.

Offline TrenchMud

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2006, 06:37:35 AM »
Blind people are amazing to me ! I watched a blind softball game once that was impressive to see.
The ball beeps. I saw a show on T.V. not too long ago about a blind boy that made a clicking sound in this throat similar to a dolphin (echo location) and he could ride his bike to school and work by doing this. He could describe the layout of where trees were along the side of the road, Identify where cars were parked and even describe them. He described the way houses looked from the sound that bounced back from them. He has now applied for a drivers license I heard ! (too dangerous I think ) I have a difficult time with this hunting issue though. I say if a blind person wanted to hunt, Legalize lasers for them to do so. With the help of a good guide or hunting partner I see it as possible.

Offline kennyd

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2006, 03:47:57 PM »
One of my best partners is legally (and quite really) blind.  He has no peripheral or straight ahead sight, only spots where he can see, evening is good as pitch black for him.  My brother and I both have taken him out (he cannot drive), somethimes even arguing about whose turn it is.  We help him spot game, he takes his aim; if the game moves, it is over, he won't try to follow it because he can't see what else might there.  This is with a scoped rifle, and open sighted ML.  Shotgunning is a little different because of the lesser range of the shot.  I have had normal sighted partners who are not anywhere as safe.  I would rather take my blind friend any day .   
just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they are not watching you

Offline prairiedog555

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2007, 09:33:45 AM »
I think the practice of hunting by computer is much more damageing.  Imagine all of those busy rich folks getting an email alert to "quick" get to the computer and then aligning cross hairs and hitting "enter".
Boy, what a thrill. 
Anybody who hunts just to make a kill is missing the point, and any example of that is what the Anti's key on.  And I tend to agree with them.
At least the blind person is out in the field smelling, feeling, waiting, experienceing the outdoors. 
I am in the tech industry, and I love how inovations have imporved and enriched our life, (like using this forum)  but if things are made too easy you don't apprciate an accomplishment.  Like the guys who hunt on a game farm with tame exotic animals.  I'd feel better about myself if I walked a field and shot a rabbit, took it home and ate it, than shooting a tame animal behind a fence. 

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2007, 10:18:20 AM »
Took Mary (My blind sister-in-law) out to a bear baiting site last spring.  She spent the night with us up in the tree stand.  After dark the bears come in and the sound they make fighting and  chasing each other both frightened and excited her.  She can't wait till spring comes again, she wants to go out with me again to the bait station.  She would never think of trying to shoot one, but just being there is so exciting to her. 
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline hardertr

• A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2007, 02:18:06 PM »
Took Mary (My blind sister-in-law) out to a bear baiting site last spring.  She spent the night with us up in the tree stand.  After dark the bears come in and the sound they make fighting and  chasing each other both frightened and excited her.  She can't wait till spring comes again, she wants to go out with me again to the bait station.  She would never think of trying to shoot one, but just being there is so exciting to her. 

It would be a pretty neat bonding experience if you kept the lights off and "saw" it the way she does.  I would imagine it's a pretty scarey experience if you can't see them.....but know they are there.