Author Topic: question about deer genetics  (Read 510 times)

Offline hardertr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
question about deer genetics
« on: December 15, 2006, 07:06:11 AM »
I shot a NICE 8 pt this morning, but he looks different than any whitetail I have ever shot before.

The first thing I noticed was his size.  The average buck here dresses out around 110-115, this one was just a hair over 150.  He also seems to have a deeper chest than the more "streamline" look of the herds around here (San Angelo, Tx.)

Then there is his head.  Every deer I've seen around here has a definite muzzle.  This one had a "roman nose" as the processor called it.  His head is very short, almost resembling a sheeps head.

His antlers were also much different than the local deer.  They are pretty massive at the base, dark, and thick all the way to the tips.  The normal deer around here has yellow, typical (smooth and thin) tines.  He had 5pts on one side and 3 on the other.  2 of the 3 on the one side look forked, and the mass at the tip makes them look webbed.

His coat also looks and feels different.  I could tell he was older (the processor said 6), but his hair is almost all gray and very wiry.
(I'll post pictures when later this weekend)

Where do these rogue deer come from, and why aren't these genetics passed on to others I see?
The problem with troubleshooting is....sometimes it shoots back!

Offline backstrap

• A Real Regular
Re: question about deer genetics
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006, 08:03:27 AM »
could it have been a fenced in deer on a game farm where the hunters pay to shoot animals maybe he got out of the fence where they have bigger and better genetics is there and high fecne places around where u hunt ?? dont sound like the deer u are use to takeing fits this deers jean pool unless he has migrated in from some where else or some of the land owners around where u hunt have had some new deer brought in.. i know here in Okla about 3 years ago a guy shot a elk where there has never been elk seen he got in a lott of trouble over it i am not sure if the elk had migrated or was transplanted they let lose elk here in places but that was the only elk seen there so i am not sure
1 shot 1 kill

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2006, 12:57:51 PM »
It sounds like a big mature deer. Not all deer look exactly the same.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline hardertr

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2006, 02:24:55 PM »
I guess I am just used to seeing younger deer out there.

I just got back about 30 minutes ago from an evening hunt, and counted 6 different deer...all of them bucks.  Four of them were "cookie cuttter" 8pts.  They all had the same basket tilted at the same angle.  From what I could tell, they all seemed fairly young too (longer looking, sleek tan coat, and nice muscle tone).

Does a bucks head broaden as he gets older, or does his muzzle shrink?

The age would explain the rough gray coat and the much greater mass in the antlers.

On a side note, isn't it funny how you see more "shootable" deer right after you've already taken one?  All season I was waiting for a nice 8 or better, and never had one come within range.  Now, I am seeing them everywhere.  I've counted 5 different 8's (and maybe a 9) since I shot the one this morning.
The problem with troubleshooting is....sometimes it shoots back!

Offline acearch72

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2006, 04:41:31 PM »
If you let all of your bucks grow up they would all look like that. 

Nothing to do with genetics, it is AGE!!!

Offline HuntCast

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2006, 04:46:20 PM »
If you let all of your bucks grow up they would all look like that. 

Nothing to do with genetics, it is AGE!!!

Yep.........
Around here, almost no bucks live past 2 1/2 years. Seeing one of those old boys that are 5 or 6, they look like a different species altogether, lol.