Author Topic: Big buck managent  (Read 607 times)

Offline Doesniper

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Big buck managent
« on: December 15, 2006, 12:12:21 PM »
I have been lucky enough to hunt in your state (I live in Ky) over the last 6 years, on a farm that we practice throphy deer managment. The rewards are amazing. The bucks we take are all at least 3 1/2 or older. Everyone takes does, and if they shoot a buck, it goes on the wall. "Hunters" on bordering farms are not helping us by following our program but they do reap the benefits. Every year young 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 year old bucks are killed on surrounding farms, The promising young 8 and 10+ point bucks are taken long before they show their full potential.
I'm not tring to tell people how to hunt or what to shoot, but If you and your buddys would make an "if you shoot it you mount it" rule on your farm, and fill your doe tags with old does. You will see results sooner than you think. Ohio has the genes, all you need is age.
Another thing we do is, any time any of us see a coyote we shoot it. We took two opening morning. Our fawn numbers have been down so we're going after the coyotes after deer season.
Any one else do this or have any other tips/ideas on getting bigger deer?
Love hunting Ohio.

Offline stimpylu32

• Trade Count: (67)
Re: Big buck managent
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006, 12:57:50 PM »
Just about anyone that trys to do this without the help of the other property owners around them is going to have the same problem and that is too bad , because as you said we have great genes in the deer in ohio .

It will work , only takes longer .
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline SDS-GEN

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2006, 01:56:42 PM »
Something that will help is to make a refuge in the middle of your property that is off limits to everyone.  It doesn't have to be huge, 5 to 10 acres is plenty, but it does have to be the thickest nastiest briar you can find or create.  Once the other guys start stomping into the woods and the guns start going off deer will filter into the safe haven you have created for them.  You will find a few major trails leading into the thicket and can set up on these (100+ yards from the thicket) in a couple of years and ambush deer coming into the briars.

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2006, 01:51:58 PM »
my family's farm of about 500 acr is has 1000's of non hunting ;and around it  we practis a very close thig we don't shoot buck untill they a 3- 4 1/2 years old and we take maybe 20 does of the farm every year and about 4 buck the resaults are that our buck to doe numbers are great some years you see more bucks then does . first week in nov. you put the hourns togther you'll have more then one buck in your lap in just a min or two. of the last five bucks killed the smallest buck was the 130 inch 10 point i killed last year my first time out with a bow the bigest one was just killed a few weeks ago a 194 inch 14 point that i hunted hard for three years and a friend got out of one of my stands just before gun season.

if you let them grow they do get big
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while