Author Topic: works in-progress  (Read 668 times)

Offline Don Krag

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
    • KragAxe Armoury
works in-progress
« on: December 15, 2006, 02:39:53 PM »
Well here's some items I hope to have done by the end of February (hah! wishful thinking!).

First up is a 2.2 " bore bombard. This is the tube insert (0.75"w DOM tubing). The base it's sitting in will get fitted and then the gap between the insert and the sleeve will get filled with bronze. It'll then get several thick rings fitted on in addition. The breech (entire bottom third actually) will end up just over 6" thick. I'll scan in a sketch of the drawing of the proposed finished product and post here later.

This is a 1.2" bore that has one band fit and will get another. I had planned on this one being the forwardmost one over the breech, but I took too long getting it in place. Now the second will have to slipped all the way down the rest of the barrel to be placed in front of this one. Hopefully it won't get stuck halfway!

Here's a 1.75" insert and sleeve. It'll be almost identical to the larger bombard, only smaller.

This will be a kingsized 15th century howitzer based on some italian models. Right now it is 6" ID, but I will fit an insert to drop it down to about 5" or so (average Texas frozen grapefruit  ;D). Just this section weighs in at 165 lbs! It was some sort of collar off some drilling equipment. It's 1.5" of 4140 with a cast core that was then honed and followed with a stainless liner. I had to roll this one over a 100 yrds at the scrap yard to get it to a place where I could load it into my truck! All I need now is some 6" round stock about a foot or so long and some really nice poeple with a BIG lathe! I want to have this one done by the 4th of July.

Don "Krag" Halter
www.kragaxe.com

Offline Don Krag

• Contributor
    • KragAxe Armoury
Re: works in-progress
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006, 02:43:19 PM »
Oh yeah....here's my little 1.1" bore gonne and a 62cal gonne I just finished today. I'll have both of these out in las Vegas the next two weeks at the in-laws for Christmas. Hmmm....I wonder if i can get paintballs in 1" cal?  ;D

Don "Krag" Halter
www.kragaxe.com

Offline Monk

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2006, 03:04:36 PM »
The 6" ID pipe is a liner for a mud pump on a drilling rig, we used to replace them when they got a groove "washed" in them.
~Monk~

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2006, 04:22:27 PM »
You clearly need 5 or 6 more projects to keep you busy!

Keep us posted.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline copdoc

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2006, 04:40:25 PM »
Don
Don't listen to him.  You don't need any more.  I have at least 5-6 and need all the help I can get.  I would like to cast a really big bombard one day.  You can help me instead.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2006, 08:14:25 PM »
I had planned on this one being the forwardmost one over the breech, but I took too long getting it in place. Now the second will have to slipped all the way down the rest of the barrel to be placed in front of this one. Hopefully it won't get stuck halfway!

Try pressing it on to the desired location with a hyraulic press.  Make some sleeves as necessary.  Going the other way is asking for failure.

All I need now is some 6" round stock about a foot or so long and some really nice poeple with a BIG lathe!

I have a 17 x 54 lathe (in California) and a good place to buy steel rems.  :-)
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Don Krag

• Contributor
    • KragAxe Armoury
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2006, 10:22:45 PM »
The problem with the sleeve was I had it too narrow. Even heated to orange it had to be convinced to move with a 4 lb hammer and tool. Sized properly, I can usually slide them a foot or so.

There were about 7 or 8 of the pump sleeves of various configurations. Of course I picked one of the heaviest to take home!

I'll be in Vegas for two weeks. I'll just tell the kids to scoot over and make room for it and I'll swing by your shop on monday! ;D

I'll be sure and take lots of pics along the way so I can set up some nice web pages for these.
Don "Krag" Halter
www.kragaxe.com