Author Topic: What do you think of this "second season" this weekend?  (Read 1104 times)

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
What do you think of this "second season" this weekend?
« on: December 16, 2006, 01:58:26 PM »
I wonder about the benefits of two extra weekend days for gun season this year.  I am always all for extra gun days but the placement during this month seems odd. Why not give us the weekend right after Thanksgiving, and the whole next week including the next weekend? That would facilitate more people hunting I think vs. this extra two days so close to Christmas with all the holiday activities, family obligations, etc. 

I didn't see many guys hunting today or hear that many shots taken around here either, proving my point I think.

The warm weather is hurting the hunting success rate also both during the regular gun week and today. At least I know I didn't see any deer today even with us putting on drives- I think they went North for weather!
 :( :(
Joe
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline stimpylu32

• Trade Count: (67)
Re: What do you think of this "second season" this weekend?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006, 02:40:07 PM »
I too am more than a little con-fuzzled by their timing with the extra 2 days , and yes after T-Day would be a better time to add the days , i was out and about the county today and in about 4 hours only saw 2 hunters .

I may have to drop the ODNR an e-mail to ask about thr timing of the extra days .
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline GregP42

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2006, 05:30:20 PM »

Today equals zero seen. We will see what tomorrow brings.  Now what I want to know is why the muzzle loading season is only 4 days, Dec 27 - Dec 30, Why Wednesday through Saturday, why not Thursday through Sunday? I also think it should be before modern firearms season.  Oh well, lets see what tomorrow brings.

Greg
NRA Life Member
"Those who sacrifice essential liberty for temporary safety are not deserving of either liberty or safety."  - Ben Franklin, 1776
Vis Sis Mis!

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2006, 03:02:34 AM »
We had the usual gangs pushing section after section.
After the first week the deer have been run hard and seem to turn a very dark color. I think it makes sense atleast in this area to give the deer a break for a couple of weeks instead of running them hard for  8 to10 days.

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2006, 05:50:15 AM »
These season dates are supposed to be about game management, so I will be interested in the ODNR response to your email Stimp.

I totally agree Greg- Thurs. to Sun. would equal more opportunities for hunters = management of the herd.

Joe
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline stimpylu32

• Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2006, 05:57:11 AM »
HT

You do have a valid point about letting the deer calm down alittle , also something needs done about the way some drive the deer from one property to another with out the land owners permision .
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2006, 06:13:06 PM »
Ohio Dept. of Natural Resources posted this story on its website about the 25,000 deer harvested on this extra weekend.  Guess I just hunted at the wrong places!

See the story-
http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/wildlife/Hunting/extraweekenddeer.htm

I do think the warm weather has something to do with seeing fewer deer, same thing happened to my hunting spots yesterday and today, didn't see one deer on two different farms but deer sign was all over the place.

Offline tgiles69

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2007, 04:47:52 PM »
Sounds like I didn't miss much, the Wednesday before, I got a call that evening my 14 yr old son was in a car accident with a head injury, I made it to the scene just before they put him on the helicopter, he was awake and says "dad, just take me home I want to go deer hunting this weekend" all I could say is we will, we will, knowing we probably weren't. We didn't get to go and we missed muzzel loader too, but well do it next year. Take your kids hunting every chance you get you never know what tomorrow might bring.

TOM

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2007, 05:48:37 AM »
Tom,

Sure hope your son is OK.  We worry all the time about our kids young or old.
I agree we must enjoy being with them, we never can predict the future.
Keeping your boy in my thoughts and prayers.

Joe

Offline tgiles69

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2007, 05:00:35 PM »
Joe,

Thanks for the thoughts, he's going to be fine with a little time. Not sure why I wanted to throw this out there it just feels right talking with other hunters. He's going to be ok I'm just still having a hard time with it. There's a lot of huntin left to do, not sure what I would have done had things went really bad. There has been days when he wanted to go and I didn't, I'm going to try and not let that happen as much from now on.

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2007, 05:52:43 PM »
Glad he is getting better!  You have the right idea- take him out as much as you can and enjoy the time spent with him. they grow up way too fast anyhow- I miss those days when the boys were young and we spent the whole day together hunting.