Author Topic: Open for suggestions on a new scope for a new CZ in 416 rigby  (Read 827 times)

Offline nasem

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Open for suggestions on a new scope for a new CZ in 416 rigby
« on: December 17, 2006, 04:46:57 PM »
I placed an order for a CZ in 416 rigby last friday, I'll be getting it in the next few weeks.

This gun is probebly not going to africa, at least not for another 5 to 10 years, so the most i'll be doing with it is large North Amercian game (elk / bison / maybe moose). 

I really have my budget around $300-350 mark and eye relief is the #1 thing Im looking for.  I like the leopold 2-7X33 VX-II with the 4.9" eye relief at 2X and 3.8 @ 7x.  But, considering that I go to 300 yard gun range, I'd like to try to have a little more magnification, something like a VX-II in 3-9X40.  so Now Im in a delima, I don't know which to get... I like em both and I only have to get one.

I know a 416 is defenetly not designed for long range work and I don't intend to ever use it past 300 or 400 yards but I like to know that IF and only IF a shot ever presented itself and I couldn't get closer, I'd like to know I have the right magnification.

Offline cjensen

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Open for suggestions on a new scope for a new CZ in 416 rigby
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 02:13:43 AM »
Only scope I would consider for that would be a Leupold 2 1/2.
Lots of eye relief, as recoil proof as any scope, and great customer service if it does break.
I have one on my 416 Remington.
My goal in life is to have a carbon footprint the size of Al Gore's. I can be living the good life and know I am not causing global warming. Make Al your carbon standard.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 02:59:50 AM »
I have a CZ 550 in 416 Rigby. I have a Leupold Vari X III 1.5X5X20mm.
I would not put a larger scope on mine, It is just not needed. But that is just my opinion.
The eye relief is close to 5 inch and I have not had a problem with shooting to 200 yards, which in my opinion is a good range for the 416 Rigby.

But if you have your mind set on your choices, go with the Leupold 2-7X33 VX-II
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Zachary

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 02:16:59 PM »
I placed an order for a CZ in 416 rigby last friday, I'll be getting it in the next few weeks.

considering that I go to 300 yard gun range, I'd like to try to have a little more magnification, something like a VX-II in 3-9X40. 

300 yard shooting for a 416 Rigby?
I must say, that is the first time I have ever heard of that.

On my .375H&H, which I have zeroed at 100 yards, I have an Elite 3200 1.5x-4.5x.  It has 3.6" of constant eye relief and,  surprisingly, is plenty of eye relief because the  scope has never touched me.  I have never shot a 416 Rigby, but it makes sense that it should kick noticeably more.  I would look at the Leupold scopes - period - as they have the longest eye relief in the  industry combined with excellent quality, inside and out.

Zachary

Offline Thebear_78

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006, 05:30:16 PM »
I wouldn't go with anything higher in magnification than that 2-7.  I would probably check out the Luepold Euro line, great scopes for a decent price.  I have a 1.5-5 on my 375 and really like it too.  You really don't need that much magnification for shooting out to 300 yards.  I can shoot out to 300 yards with my 2.5x scout scopes and still shoot good enough for big game hunting.  The 416 wasn't designed for shooting varmints or targets, it was made to kill big angry critters.   1.25-4, 1.5-5, 1.75-6, 2-7 tops, any of thesee in a leupold Vx2 or Vx3, or Euro line.  Remember this the heavier the scope the more of a beating it takes during recoil and more likely it is to slide in the scope rings.

Offline nasem

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2006, 05:32:43 PM »
Yeh it does sound a little silly.... 300 yards with a 416 rigby I don't think i'll be doing much of that.  However, the thought of trying it out is defenetly a must.  I gotta see where my capabilities lie.  As far as trajectory goes, those barnes X bullets can be pushed well above 2600 fps, so I know the trajectory woun't be so bad.

As far as zeroing it goes, I might zero it at 100, or even 200, but question I have is:  Is 7x enough to zero your gun at 200 yards ? I always find it hard to hit teh bulls eye at 200 years with low maginifaction.... Its doable, but requires a bit of practice, and to be honest with you, I don't feel like doing alot of practice on the bench with a rigby :)

So far, Im leaning heavily on that 2-7X33 VX-II, I like the 4.9" @ 2x

Offline Thebear_78

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2006, 07:57:58 PM »
Not to be rude but I really think you are missing the boat here......You don't buy a 416 rigby to shoot tiny groups at 200 yards.  You buy them to kill stuff.   As far as zeroing the scope goes you can always find out how high you need to be at 100 yards to acheive the disired effect.  Say it needs to be 2.5" high at 100 yards and that equates to aproximately dead on at 200 yards, thats good enough, you can test its zero by then throwing a few downrange at 200 or 300 yards but at a realistic target like a 4-6" black circle.  Even at 2.5x you can aim for the center of that black circle.  I can get groups around 5" at 300 yards with my 2.5x scout scope on my 9.3x62, thats plenty good enough for a hunting gun.   With my 1.5-5 on my 375 I can shoot sub 1" groups at 100 yards and at 5x still shoot 2-3" groups at 200 and 300 yards.  How do you think they shoot such little groups at long range with open sighted target rifles.  The center of that 5" black circle is just as big at 2.5x as it is at 10x.  Just center the cross hairs.

Offline nasem

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2006, 03:02:12 AM »
Yeh.... I guess your right, I shouldn't be too worried about small groups (I can't help it.. im a group freak)

Well you know what.... you guys made me decide, I'll put an order for a vx-II 2-7, I'll have a range report in the next few weeks on the big bore frm.

thanks everyone :)

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2006, 06:48:47 AM »
Yeh.... I guess your right, I shouldn't be too worried about small groups (I can't help it.. im a group freak)

Well you know what.... you guys made me decide, I'll put an order for a vx-II 2-7, I'll have a range report in the next few weeks on the big bore frm.

thanks everyone :)

My CZ 500 in 416 Rigby with a Leupold Vara XII 1.5X5X20 with shoot MOA at 100 yards all day with 300 gr. Barnes X bullets. But like Thebear_78 said, you did not buy a 416 Rigby to shoot groups.  ;D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Don Dick

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2006, 11:14:10 AM »
I went through the same issue recently and after considering the options decided to just use the express sights.  If I were to scope it the 1.5X5 would be about right.  The importence of eye relief is only secondary to being able to acquire your target. 
Some people come into our lives and quickly go.  Some stay awhile and leave footprints on our hearts.  And we are never.  Ever the same.   Authur unknown.  In memory of my son Jonathan.

Offline nasem

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2006, 12:21:52 PM »
I went through the same issue recently and after considering the options decided to just use the express sights.  If I were to scope it the 1.5X5 would be about right.  The importence of eye relief is only secondary to being able to acquire your target. 

Question.... You don't think you can quickly acquire your target with 2x setting?