Author Topic: Time for a real FUN gun.  (Read 2364 times)

Offline Warthog

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
Time for a real FUN gun.
« on: December 19, 2006, 03:48:16 AM »
I posted this elswhere and they receommended I ask this great group of folks.  So here it is:

I've got most areas of shooting and hunting covered.  Got my single shots, my rimfire hunters and shooters, bolt actions, lever actions, shotguns, ccw, personal defense, etc...  You get the picture.  For my next weapon, I want something FUN, and FUN is one thing I know you folks know about.  Just as a couple of ideas I've been having:  a Bisley 45, Mini-14, something black, Springfield 1911-A1.  How about it.  I'm going to budget $800 for it.  So keeping with that, how about some fun ideas?
Whatever doesn't kill you will make you stronger.  Right up until it kills you.

Offline hardertr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Time for a real FUN gun.
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 05:17:09 AM »
It doesn't get much more fun than a Kel-tec!

The 2 most "fun" guns I have in my safe are the PLR-16 http://www.gunblast.com/Kel-Tec_PLR-16.htm
and my sub 2000 http://www.policeandsecuritynews.com/mayjun02/kel%20tec%20carbine.htm

I have the sub2k in both 40 and 9mm.  They are both excellent, but the 9mm is a little cheaper to shoot.
The problem with troubleshooting is....sometimes it shoots back!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2006, 01:09:13 AM »
everybodys idea of what will be the most fun will be differnt. For me its probably a 1911 or a pistol caliber lever gun or possible an ar15 if i just want to blast beer cans for the day.
I posted this elswhere and they receommended I ask this great group of folks.  So here it is:

I've got most areas of shooting and hunting covered.  Got my single shots, my rimfire hunters and shooters, bolt actions, lever actions, shotguns, ccw, personal defense, etc...  You get the picture.  For my next weapon, I want something FUN, and FUN is one thing I know you folks know about.  Just as a couple of ideas I've been having:  a Bisley 45, Mini-14, something black, Springfield 1911-A1.  How about it.  I'm going to budget $800 for it.  So keeping with that, how about some fun ideas?
blue lives matter

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 05:03:35 AM »
Probably for sheer fun an AR15 of some sort!  Just plain a blast to shoot.  The only thing more fun than that would have to be full auto!  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2006, 05:23:48 AM »
Fun guns for me usually means a wheelgun. And the most fun of all are the single actions. If you don't have a Bisley, then by all means you need one. My first SA was a .22 Bisley. I got hooked. It was such a blast, that I now have two in .44 mag for hunting (one scoped, one ain't), and a .44 Bisley Vaquero for killing cans and stuff. Fun to shoot and real easy to clean. I've got a USFA Omni-Potent Six Shooter on order. It's gonna be a fun gun, too. Not good for much else! It sure looks neat.

Something else that seems like it would be fun is what hardertr mentioned—the Kel-Tek AR-15 style pistol. Having all that firepower in such a small package seems pretty neat. Coyotes beware! I'm just trying to come up with a good enough excuse to get one. (Already have three good yote blasters.) But I guess that's why we call 'em "fun guns"—fun is all the reason you need!

The most fun long gun I have is a Marlin .357 Cowboy, but since you've already mentioned that you have lever guns, then you may already have one, too. With .38s mine is very accurate, and it's like shooting a .22 that makes really big holes!

The problem is, they're ALL FUN. It's like a test with no wrong answers! So good luck! Be sure to let us know what you get.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline ccoker

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • www.tacticalgunreview.com
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2006, 07:16:16 AM »
I think a little 30 cal m1 carbine would be fun...

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2006, 08:34:43 AM »

Man that is easy, a 500 Mag. All the fun you want with your clothing on.  ;D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2006, 08:51:10 AM »
kind of figured youd take up the slack for the big bores!
blue lives matter

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2006, 09:50:15 AM »
Yea, I am partial to them.  ;)
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline hardertr

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2006, 10:13:39 AM »
It's kind of funny...there are TWO 500 mags here in town.  One is at the Academy (sporting good superstore), the other at a fairly busy smaller gun shop.  Both have been there for almost 6 months now.

I guess these Texans (me included) are a bit intimidated by the size of the round sitting next to them.  :o
I'm guessing the recoil is similar to trying to catch a VW Bug single-handedly?

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2006, 11:02:57 AM »
there not as bad as you would think and anyone that can master a .44 mag can master a .500 smith it just takes time to work into it.
It's kind of funny...there are TWO 500 mags here in town.  One is at the Academy (sporting good superstore), the other at a fairly busy smaller gun shop.  Both have been there for almost 6 months now.

I guess these Texans (me included) are a bit intimidated by the size of the round sitting next to them.  :o
I'm guessing the recoil is similar to trying to catch a VW Bug single-handedly?
blue lives matter

Offline Bryan Elderkin

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2006, 11:28:25 AM »
This is funny i was just thinking the same thing. And the keltec PLR-16 is what i thought would fit the bill. hardertr how does this function. Does it handle most ammo and how is the accuracy?

bryan

Offline shermbob

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2006, 12:43:48 PM »
I love my 454 RB and 45/70 BFR but for shear fun a scoped sks and a running woodchuck can't be beat
shermbob

Offline hardertr

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2006, 03:23:22 PM »
I just started shooting it about a week ago.  5" groups at a hundred yards is pretty standard with the open sights...if you take your time.   Needless to say, I'm still in the "just playin' around" stage, so the accuracy hasn't really been tested.

As far as ammo.  I have only shot the mil-surp (brass) through it.  Some folks claim the Wolf has a lacquor coating on the metal casing, and it MIGHT gum up if you try to put a couple hundred rounds through it without letting it cool.

If you watch auctionarms, you can find one for under $500 including FFL and shipping fees.  Then there are the muzzle brake, handguards, sling, and scope mount if you want them.

Offline Banger

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2006, 06:20:56 AM »
After 20 years of plinking with calibers to 44 Mag/45 Colt, pistols revolvers, rifles, shotguns.  We always ended the day with our 22 revolvers/pistols.

More recently we enjoy our KelTec P32's.  Lot's of fun to plink at objects that find themselves in mud puddles nearby. Or the Little Baretta's and a brick of 22s. ;D

Offline John R.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2006, 03:06:33 AM »
I really like my AR-15 for sheer fun, but I've been shooting my 45 Colt Bisley the most over the past two years. I love that gun. :)

Offline corbanzo

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2006, 09:12:02 PM »
The AR15 is a good idea, but for $800 you can get an AK-47 and style it out however you would like.  Sounds like you already have the wheelguns and levers to have fun with, so why not go with a style you dont yet have?
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline Robert357

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2006, 09:06:49 AM »
.....For my next weapon, I want something FUN....I'm going to budget $800 for it.  So keeping with that, how about some fun ideas?

To me the "most fun" handguns (this is the handgun forum) that I have are an FN-1900 in 32 Auto and a Colt Mod 1903 in 32 Auto.  Both of these handguns are single action semi-autos designed by John M. Browning.  My favorites (I have multiple Colt 1903's) were both manufactured well before WWI.  They are small handguns, with modest recoil and I find them "fun" to take to the range and shoot.  I collect pre-WWI 32 Autos and have many FN's, Colts, a Savage, a Walther, Mauser, etc. 

To me shooting both the FN-1900 and the Colt 1903 are shooting history and the fun includes taking them apart to clean them and see the history of gun making design and modern firearms.  The FN-1900 was the first really mass produced semi-auto handgun and John M Browning's first commercially successfull semi-auto design.  It created a near "cult-like" following in Europe for anything associated with the American Gun Designer John M. Browning.  Some of the early FN advertizing stress that it isn't a "Browning" if it doesn't have an FN logo on the grip.  The Colt 1903 was one of Colt's (and hence U.S. arms manufactures) all time commerical success stories and pre-dates the M-1911.  It was also a huge John M. Browning success.

If you put my Colt Model 1903 manufactured in 1910 (or the one manufactured in 1911, or......) down on a table and look at it from a distance, it looks very much like a typical firearm you would find being manufactured today, with the exception of not having a double stacked magazine (my model Savage Model 1907 has one of the early double stacked magazines).

Another aspect of "fun" is the comments I get at the range.  Some include things like I my dad use to own one of those Colt's or I was issued one in WWII (if you hear this, give the guy some real respect as he earned it to qualify for one of these general staff officer weapons), etc.  The other set of fun, is when I am shooting say my Tokarev 9mm or Taurus 357 Mag and some gun snob says that if it isn't a Colt it isn't worth owning.  At that point, I can (if I choose to do so) "one up him."  I can uncase one of my the Colt 1903's and say yes, how right he is, but unfortuately after about 1915 the hand craftmanship at the Colt factory just wasn't up to what it use to be and how he must really not be too pleased with his more recent Colt product.   

While, I personally enjoy shooting all kinds of different firearms and enjoy their designs, it is the really early designs of John M. Browning and other famous gun makers that I find the most fun!  Collecting old firearms that you shoot adds a whole other dimension to the fun.

Offline ATCDoktor

« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2006, 07:33:45 PM »
My fun gun is a Marlin Camp 9 9mm carbine. Although no longer produced, they are easy to find for around 350-400 bucks. That would leave 400 bucks left over for ammo and a handful of high capacity mags.

Offline Doc T

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Contributor
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2006, 05:20:28 AM »
The three guns I have the MOST fun with are:

1.  An AR-15 in 9mm. 

2.  An M1 carbine of some make (I have two).

3.  My T/C Contender carbine in 17HMR.  Even though it is a single shot, it is so accurate one shot is all you need.  I guess I also have to include my Contender carbine in 300 Whisper.  Same reason, just a bigger bullet.

Offline BlkHawk73

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2006, 05:28:47 AM »
  How bout a revolver carbine, or a nice Ruger #1 (classy).  I also second the recomendation of the Bisley.  

Like you, I've got all bases covered and then some.  Anything I get now is basically just for fun.  I find myself looking higher now and saving more and buying higher quality item rather than than the all so common stuff everyone else has.  It's sometimes nice to have something different.
"Never Surrender, Just Carry On."  - G.S.

Offline hardertr

• A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2006, 06:04:03 AM »
A couple other guns I consider fun-to-shoot or unique:
Saiga 12 guage (or my 410, 7.63x39 or 308)
Hi-Point carbine (i prefer my Kel-tec though...but for under $175, it's a fun "toy")
Henry Survival 22
SKS
Taurus C45 (Thunderbolt)
Armalite AR-180
L1A1
M38 (Mosin Nagant carbine)
Ruger 22/45
Walther P22

Although I don't have one YET, I think the Henry 22 lever action would also make the list.

Offline JHT

• Avid Poster
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2007, 11:30:14 PM »
FUN is where you find it; FUN is when you have enough ammo for the day; FUN can be had when cleaning weapons with some good buddies; FUN can be rummaging through your safe and finding a gun or two that you did not recall having; FUN is where you find it!!!

Have FUN.

JHT
"Things will get done little by small."  ---  Joseph J. Venturo Sr.  ---  Joseph was my father-in-law, while he was not a formally educated man he certainly and without doubt was a very smart man, and a man who loved his children.

Offline superjay01

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Contributor
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2007, 09:19:45 AM »
I'd have to agree with the vote for the AK-47 you can get them cheap, 300-400. Spend the rest for ammo. I don't have one but have got to shoot them quit a bit and they seem to be accurate and reliable. Can get get lots of extras for them much like the AR also.
Chance favors the prepared mind

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2007, 04:16:59 AM »
Fun, for me, would be a S&W .22LR K or J frame and shooting at empty .22 casings after they are done shooting at some other target. I throw them as far as possible or place them against a opposing color back ground and then try to hit them? Great gun for introducing a younger shooter to our sport, also. I've started all of my grand children on these guns. One afternoon a few years back we shot over two thousand .22 on the river bank and all had a great time.
"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Life member of NRA, USPSA,ISRA
AF&AM #294
LIUNA #996 for the past 34 years/now retired!

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2007, 05:18:18 AM »
How about a SW 52 in 38spec???  Fun guns for me don't make my wrists ache or require a glove.  I also think something in 32mag might be fun.
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline canon6

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (119)
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2007, 12:52:25 PM »
How about a 357 Mag carbine,Marlin,Winchester or Rossi,I have one  with a 16in barrel it is a hoot.At least I think it is fun to shoot my better half has declared that after all of the work I put into it ,it is perfect for her.A lot less that $800.00 and you could spend the rest for ammo   Doug
a armed man is his own master

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2007, 01:52:53 PM »
I think this itch may get scrachted for me by a CZ 52 rebarreled to .22 Reed expess, .22 hornet velocities out of a auto loading hand gun, reasonably cheap to. ;D
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline Curt Dawson

• Avid Poster
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2007, 12:25:45 PM »
Get a ruger bisley model in 45LC have the factory fit a 45acp cylinder then trim the barrel back to whatever length that you desire( for me 2") and have at it!

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2007, 12:56:06 PM »
Warthog

Since you mentioned rifles and an 800 dollar limit i would have to agree with some other posters on the M1 carbine. I bought a new one a few years ago made by IMI for about 300 bucks. That leaves 500 bucks for bulk ammo or reloading components and a few high cap mags. A great truck/self defence/varmint/fun gun.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.