Author Topic: Ideas for a .223 Yote killer  (Read 841 times)

Offline 32 Point Buck

• Trade Count: (0)
Ideas for a .223 Yote killer
« on: December 19, 2006, 08:54:12 AM »
I beliive I am having scope issues with my .223. My gun shoots good groups. But not where I'm aimming. I make adjustements after a good group of three shots and next three shots are not where to be expected but still in good group. I am running out of ammo trying to get this gun zeroed in. I don't yote hunt often enough to justify a $$$ scope on this gun. For now anyway I'm looking for a descent scope under $100 IF POSSIBLE. One I can get zeroed in and hopefully keep at zero. I was thinking a 3-9 should be adequate. It currently has a fixed Bushnell Sharp Shooter on it. Since the .233 is low recoil I thought I could get by with a less expensive scope which would still perform consistant. I am looking for suggestions to look at.

Offline 32 Point Buck

Re: Ideas for a .223 Yote killer
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 11:46:13 AM »
Went out to Cabellas to look at scopes. Not many options for $100. Bushnell Banner about the only option. Anyone have anything good or bad on that scope?
Suppose I will probably have to spend $150 to $200 just for a halfway descent scope. Does anyone have strong opinions one way or another in this price range? Nikon Prostaff, Buckmaster, Bushnell Elite 3200 or maybe a Burris? I have Monarch 3X9 on 25-06 which I belive was a good bang for the buck.

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2006, 02:49:51 PM »
Banners are very good scopes for the money!

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 04:06:38 PM »
4-12x40 Banner is a great scope. This was my first Varmint scope. It is very clear and gathers light like crazy. It also has a very nice crosshair. I don't think you'll think you gottaken buying one. One of my friends who is big on nikon and leupolds looked through mine and commented on how clear it was.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline 32 Point Buck

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2006, 05:32:40 PM »
4-12x40 Banner is a great scope. This was my first Varmint scope. It is very clear and gathers light like crazy. It also has a very nice crosshair. I don't think you'll think you gottaken buying one. One of my friends who is big on nikon and leupolds looked through mine and commented on how clear it was.

Thanks Billy,
I checked this out on the opticzone and it is definitly in my price range. The main thing I ask of my scopes is to hold point of impact. If this scope will do that and it is as clear as you say and gathers light like crazy. I'm not sure how I could go wrong? I also like the fact that it goes up to 12 power. It does not look like it has a AO objective lense. Another plus while hunting. Do you no if this fits in the line of (DDB) multi-coated lenses for clarity and brightness in low light? I assume from your response it does. How can you tell?

Offline 32 Point Buck

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2006, 05:54:00 PM »
I just did some research on this scope and it does have DDB. It also has an AO adjustment. I appologize for my ignorance but I have never owned a scope with an adjustable objective and a parallax focus - 10 yards to infinity. How do they work in correlation to each other? Do you focus the parrallax focus at a known distance then use the AO adjustment to help determine range? This would be cool if it did work this way. If not maybe some should develope this concept into an optic scope.

Offline 32 Point Buck

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2006, 06:07:26 PM »
How about the Banner 4–16x 40mm with illuminated reticle? What are the advantages and dis-advantages of an illuminated reticle? Do you have to have it turned on all the time or can you just turn it on hen you want? If you can have it off. How does the retical appear? The same as the non -illuminated reticle?

Offline De41mag

• A Real Regular
    • De41mag@aol.com
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2006, 06:32:20 PM »
People will probably laugh, but here goes.

Last year I was on a Prairie Dog shoot and won a Tasco 3X9X40 as a door prize.
After a lot of thought and scope changing, this scope landed on my Savage Model 10FP in .223 Rem.
And I could not be more happier. I can test loads and keep my shots in the MOA range.
Not bad for a free scope and it is holding it's zero. And about 40 bucks at the store, what have you got to lose.
Just  my two cents.

Dennis  :)

Offline Don Dick

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2006, 03:27:45 AM »
32 point buck, Who mounted the scope for you?  Are you sure you are turning the turrets or adjustment knobs in the right direction?
Some people come into our lives and quickly go.  Some stay awhile and leave footprints on our hearts.  And we are never.  Ever the same.   Authur unknown.  In memory of my son Jonathan.

Offline MOGLEY

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2006, 10:07:12 AM »
Barska scopes are real good especially for th emoney. I shoot inexpensive scopes and my friend laughs at me for what I buy, however...... they have not lost their zero and have performed great thus far. I have them on  a 17 hmr, a 17 hm2 and a 222. So ther is not a lot of recoil either. I have a 3-9x40 with AO and lighted reticle for 59.99. It has been great but I do not have a need for the lighted reticle, it is just cool to have.
The only scopes I have had problems with was the bushnell scopes. Completly lose the zero just like your describing.
Optic zone just got some scopes in. Cannot emember the name but seems reasonable
Stupid Hurts