Author Topic: Accuracy of Parent Rounds Fired in AI Chambers?  (Read 1003 times)

Offline lgm270

• Trade Count: (1)
Accuracy of Parent Rounds Fired in AI Chambers?
« on: December 19, 2006, 06:53:13 PM »
How is the accuracy when you shoot regular rounds  in the AI chamber?  Specifically, I am interested in the 30-06 families of rimless bolt action rounds such as the 30-06 in the AI chamber, 35 Whelen in the AI chamber, etc.?

I have read there is a slight velocity loss when firing  the parent round in the AI chamber, but I am specifically asking about accuracy when this is done.  Are  parent rounds fired in AI chambers equally as accurate as the AI rounds?

If there is any difference, how much difference is there?

Offline Gavinator

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Accuracy of Parent Rounds Fired in AI Chambers?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 09:01:35 PM »
 Have exp. with 30-30AI and 22-250AI, it is very strange how the fireforming loads can be so accurate. Ackley, in book 1 stated that the fireforming load for the improved chamber was to be the top load of the parent cartridge for that bullet. It works.

After fireforming is when the work starts to find a load that shoots as accurate, as the fireforming load will no longer produce the same results.

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2006, 01:11:40 AM »
22-250ai is the only improved caliber I have.
I would have been happy with the accuracy I was getting while fireforming.
Now I am VERY happy with the gun's accuracy

Offline Reed1911

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (18)
    • www.reedsammo.com
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2006, 02:42:50 AM »
Like anything else, when it comes to ammunition, it all depends on the gun, ammunition, and bullet. Some will work so-so some will inpress the heck out of you and drive you crazy trying to match it with your handloads. No kidding, my 22K Hornet is so darn accurate with the fireforming loads, I only shoot them and use the brass for sale and building other folks 22K.
Ron Reed
Reed's Ammunition & Research
info@reedsammo.com
www.reedsammo.com

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2006, 04:14:10 AM »
Yes, it does depend on the gun, ammo & bullet. I currently use a 25-06AI, 30-30Ai & 30-06AI & some fireforming loads are extremely
accurate & some aren't. You do lose a little velocity with the fireforming loads, which is a non-issue to me. Afterall, if my main loads were not Ackley loads, then I would have stayed with the factory chambers.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline roper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2006, 08:47:53 AM »
One thing that has always been written about is the parent case  and comparing it to the Ackley round etc and alot use that to justify getting an Ackley since they can fire the parent case in the ackley chamber.  My  latest Ackely is a 280AI I formed case with pistol powder,filler with no bullet once the cases were formed I worked a good load for the 280AI.  If I had to work up fireform  loads  or worry about groups  with a 280 fireform load to shoot in a 280AI why bother with a 280AI, I'd much rather spend my load development time with the 280AI. Just another opinion.