Author Topic: Safety in the woods  (Read 1402 times)

Offline cam69conv

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Safety in the woods
« on: December 20, 2006, 06:13:30 PM »
I've been meaning to post these little concerns in here but keep forgetting...Old age does that I guess...

We have a lot of kids watching these hunting shows and videos as I do and there are a couple of things that I would love to address here.

1 is directly aimed at that show "starring" Tred Barta...Key problem is the shots taken while the show is comming on...If you are looking you see this MORON doing one of the STUPIDEST things in the world and carrying a DEAD DEER out of the woods on his SHOULDERS... Fathers and mothers PLEASE call attention to this MORONIC act to your children and PLEASE express how FOOLISH this act is. Now granted this wouldnt be much of a problem if EVERYONE practiced safe hunting methods and POSITIVLY identified their target and backstop, but as we all know this is not so in todays woods. PLEASE call attention to this act and point it out to your kids!! Say "look at that ignorant moron!! I better not EVER see you doing ANYTHING near something THAT stupid!!" drive it home to them. I have attempted to contact the outdoor channel as well as the Tred Barta contacts and have yet to get a reply or OBVIOUSY any action to remove this stupidity from the credits part of the show.
Now some may see this as just picking on something stupid, but I myself damn near shot a guy doing this and If it wasn't for me being well trained in safe hunting practices a man would have lost his life that day because for one he wasn't wearing ANY orange (neither is Mr. Barta in the video) and he had a BROWN toboggan on and his head was right at the deers' chest. That was one LUCKY man that day!!

Ok another one is one of simple common sense that I saw Just today...NEVER RUN WITH A LOADED WEAPON... Seen a fella ON VIDEO on the outdoor channel tonight on a dead out run trying to get in front of a deer. There was no edit point and he dropped right into a shot so the weapon was obviously chambered and ready for action. Now Im sure again there will be some reading this that will say "lord this guy is a fanatic" and guess what...YOU WILL BE CORRECT...When it comes to safety in the woods, we should ALL be fanatical about it and teach our children to be..Im sure you wouldnt want the death of another on your childs conscience because you neglected to teach them to be safe in the woods..And Im also just as sure you wouldnt want your child killed because someone ELSE didnt teach their child simple steps to being safe!!! These are points that I am making for a reason...The hunting video market is becoming flooded with these kinds of UNSAFE practices and our Kids are watching these SO CALLED "PROFESSIONALS" And thinking that these guys are supposed to be the best they are wishing to copy their every move!! Now I am all for promoting hunting to viewers but we all need to band together and start monitoring these videos and TV shows and call out the stupid stuff to our children and also call attention to the producers of them as well. Hunting takes enough black eyes from the antis without us punching ourselves because of stupidity 

Take your Child hunting and fishing and teach them the Outdoors while teaching them the ethical and SAFE way to practice our beloved art.

If anyone has any ideas about how to get in contact with the Tred Barta show please PM me. We do all need to stand together on such issues!!
You want a divorce if I go hunting today??? Well sorry ta see ya go...Was nice knowin ya..Dont let tha door hit ya where tha good lord split ya :D

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Safety in the woods
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2006, 07:26:30 PM »
Film is ALWAYS edited. It's highly unlikely the running and the shot were even continuous events. In ALL of those shows they do a LOT of filming both before and after the shot has been taken and then edit it all together to show what they want to show.

I think most all guides in the western US insist their hunter clients leave the chamber empty until it's time to make the shot. I suspect that was the case in that instance also even tho like you I saw it and it sure didn't appear to be the case.

What bugs me to no end is all the shots they insist on including of the hunter with the camera man between the game and hunter with the hunter looking down the gun at the critter. Fake big time. You KNOW that dang camera man ain't out there between the game and hunter until long after the shot has been made. But that is the one thing they do on all the shows even tho it is so fake.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 09:52:51 AM »
Bill- I saw that same show with the guy running and even if it was edited it sure gave the impression that he was running with a loaded weapon.  There are enough idiots in the woods as it is without encouraging them.

Joe
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline tscott

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2006, 10:14:32 AM »
Now I came across this Martin Archery show the other day. The guy was in shirt tails up a tree with a camera man. I do like to see bucks, even if they are in a pen! Well don't you know it after rattling some horns, like he's trying to pick up sushi with chopsticks, this Kansas Sept buck walks right up to the tree. Don't you know it the camera angle ain't right, so the hunter continues to talk us through the thought process of trophy buck hunting. I start laughing, remembering no spike I have shot would even stick around for such foolery. I mean now we're "tickling" antlers, and makin' like a Cape Cod kiddie petting goat farm grunting. Finally this "pro" gut shoots the buck and hyperventilates, while high fiving said camerman. Then in this heat, the decision is made to back out, and come back in the morning. I guess that is their way of aging venison... For in the morning the poor animal will taste like the smell of the lutefisk out on the porch at the Sons of Norway Hall in Valley City ND!!!
Yeah, as a NY guy who loves it here in NC, to me these goobers' schtick on hunting shows is better than Letterman and Seinfeld!!!

Offline hillbill

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2006, 10:36:22 AM »
tscott, they do seem to back out on a lot of good shots i would of followed up on after a good stiffining up period.yu got to remember these guys usually have a nice lodge to go back to with  6 course dinner they dont want to miss either.give um a break!ol oh and what yu dont like lutefisk?i rate it right up there with smoked carp, which gives it a minus 8 score on what i want for dinner.

Offline tscott

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2006, 12:17:58 PM »
I love lutefisk!!! Just with the smell you got to sometimes keep it away from the ladies!

Offline Mike357mag

• Avid Poster
"the woods today"
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2006, 09:19:08 AM »
The woods yesterday were just as dangerous as the woods today. The only difference is the media coverage. 

Mike H

Offline cam69conv

• Contributor
Re: "the woods today"
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2006, 10:04:57 AM »
The woods yesterday were just as dangerous as the woods today. The only difference is the media coverage. 

Mike H

CORRECT...hence the reason for this POST...Its the MEDIA that I and others have a problem with in airing this foolery and our children and new hunters watching it.
You want a divorce if I go hunting today??? Well sorry ta see ya go...Was nice knowin ya..Dont let tha door hit ya where tha good lord split ya :D

Offline mikedb

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2006, 12:56:20 PM »
Great topic and posts.  I remeber two other dumb things.  During the deer season some of the state land still has hikers on the trails.  I ran across this woman with her dog walking near dusk with no orange.  I explained how her brown large dog may be mistaken for a deer.  The other I was looking down this creek botton near dark at what I thought was a deer in the brush.  After watching awhile I learned it was a hunter in brown Carharts watchin a trail.  He did have on an orange stocking cap.  Good think I am patient and don't just shoot.

Offline cam69conv

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2006, 01:20:04 PM »
In Pa on the game lands there are a lot of Anti's that will purposly get on the trails and such intentionally making noise and such to hurt your hunting...Ive ran accross a few and their lil argument is that its public land and they have a right to be on it...I strongly dissagree with that since it was NOT their tax dollars that PAID for that land but it was the HUNTERS dollars from License sales and Ammo that paid every dime of it....Thats yet another topic in itself...I am of a mind to gather our forces and shut these people down for good....To me, its tresspassing, and should be dealt with as such. Now when the Game commissioner CATCHES one of these people intentionally interfering with a hunt then they can fine them but its rare that they catch them in the act and with the laws as they are they do have the right to be there. I feel that during hunting season all game lands should be restricted to people with a hunting license, period, and that would be more easily enforced than the interferance laws and it would also keep the morons out nature watching during hunting season a little safer from themselves!!

Offline mikedb

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2006, 12:31:26 AM »
not a bad idea

Offline lewdogg21

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2007, 06:46:13 AM »
If the guy has a deer across his shoulders yes he's stupid b/c

A) Some moron might shoot him

B) That deer is going to wreck havoc on his knees. :)

Thanks for calling attention to this.

Offline memyselfni

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2007, 11:20:10 PM »
let me get this across at the start of my post i am not meaning to offend anyone elses opinions.
I am from new zealand and grew up being taught to carry a deer out on your shoulders, we call it pikauing it, which is a maori word that rougly translates to daypack. because of the nature of our terrain which is mostly untracked dense bush, this is about the only way to get a deer out, i am talking about red, fallow and sika deer, i always carry a hi viz vest which the deer wears when i put it on my back and do not think this is unsafe at all, i am wondering how you guys get your deer out in the states if not on your back? it must be in fairly easy terrain but then again i do not know for sure. our bush for the most part is just too steep and think to do anything else, especially seeing as it is not the best to bone out hot meat unless it is going straight into a chiller (i use to work in the meat industry) sometimes we have to carry a deer on our backs for 6 hours + which is a lot of fun i can assure you! anyway i would like to hear everyone elses opinions on this topic, as well as other ways of doing it

jst my 2c :)
Tikka t3 lite .270 WSM leupold 2.5-8x36 VXIII
Ruger Ultralight MKI .308 Leupold m8 4x
Beretta Xtrema II 12g
Zastava Mini Mauser .223 Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9x40
Marlin .22lr 794 4x Bushnell
NEF 17 HMR Tasco world class 2.5-10x40

Offline mikedb

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2007, 02:42:11 AM »
In my part of the country the deer are too big to carry on your back.  200lb+ (90 kg) deer do get taken from my area.  We generally drag them out.  I hunt farm country and a road is never more that 1/2 mile away.  Some times we drive our vehicles in to the field and pick them up.  In the northern part of Michigan where it is wooded it is about the same.  Drag them or some folks use ATVs to get to the deer and haul it out with that.  I have never seen one carried out on shoulders. 

Offline montveil

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2007, 03:09:57 AM »
I agree that it is very hazardous to backpack a deer on your back. In areas that it may be necessary maybe a light piece of blaze orange cloth around the deers head and back would make the deer look like none natural.
When I huntwoodchucks I place a white piece of cloth under my hat down my neck. I full head or hair might look like a chuck.
 I also hunt with a 22 mag which necessatites I get close while some one with a 22-250 may be back several hundred yards

MONTVEIL IN THE NC MOUNTAINS

Offline jhm

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2007, 03:57:09 AM »
To prove GBs statement on editing pay alot of attention to the end of the hunt, as in some cases when they say there he is over there as if they just found their deer and when they are walking up to it look at the ground and everything is tracked down to a neat path, and the deer is already field dressed, and then the one of a female judge who is deer hunting in Quebec I think it was and she kills this vary large deer and as they walk up to it its wearing either a yellow or green cant remember ear tag similar to the ones I used on my cattle, (did someone say pen raised) :D   JIM

Offline cam69conv

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2007, 04:07:12 AM »
Putting a High Visibility wrap on the deer to carry it out would be just fine in MOST instances. But as I said, HE didnt even have on any Hunters Orange on his OWN body...Let alone on the deer!

Offline Ranger J

• A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2007, 04:54:13 AM »
I am not what you would call a small guy and in the days of my youth considered my self fairly strong but carrying a deer out on my shoulders would be the last way I would try.  I jokingly call this the Daniel Boone syndrome.  We have all read books where the intrepid frontiersman, Boone or others shoots the deer between the eyes at a full run, the deer not the hunter, and then throws it across his manly shoulders and packs it ten miles back to camp.  I tried this once with a warm, limp, just shot small deer and found it almost impossible to keep it there. :D  It was down right impossible if I had to carry my gun also.  For years I drug my deer out of the woods.  I would make about one hundred yards on the first drag and each succeeding drag got progressively shorter until I staggered back to my truck.  :D A few years ago my father in law, an ex-shop teacher made me a small two-wheeled wagon built on bicycle wheels.  This has wooden sidewalls, painted blaze orange and this has made retrieving deer if not a pleasure at least not a heart attack trying to happen.  Even better in some of the places I hunt now I can take my four-wheel drive right down and pick them up.  Admittedly I don’t hunt the brush and thickets like I did when I was younger but to carry a deer out on my shoulders, I don’t think so. :D
RJ

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2007, 10:11:23 AM »
I've packed a couple of does out on my shoulders, but they were just yearlings.  Nice, small, and tasty!  How many deer move sideways 5 feet above the ground anyway?   :D  I would only do it where I felt comfortable, and I put blaze orange on them.  I don't really see the difference in packing a small deer this way and packing out a turkey that way.  People are usually wearing better camo for turkey hunting, and if you told them to drag their turkey, you'd be considered a goober.

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2007, 05:42:57 PM »
Around here I would put blaze orange material on the turkey while carrying it out! Seriously you would not believe the hunters that come walking into your turkey set up "looking" for that gobbler that they heard.

I could never pick up that deer and carry it out on my shoulders and wouldn't want to try it.  Thought about using a kids plastic sled, the long type to drag the deer with, kind of like the roll up plastic things they sell to haul deer. I have used it many times to haul firewood around my property. But the place I hunted in was perfect for driving the pickup into the field...the best way IMHO.

Joe
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2007, 06:13:05 AM »
The roll-up things would probably work well, as would the kids sled.  But that's one more thing to drag into the woods.  I'll just grab the bucks by the antlers and drag them out that way.   ;)

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2007, 07:43:09 AM »
All of the rants only tell us we can only depend on ourselves.  No safety is 100% gurarenteed to work so don't put your finger on the trigger until you're ready to fire.  Blaze orange is an aid, a help, not an excuse (I'd hate to use "he wasn't wearing blaze orange" as an excuse for shooting another hunter)  Make sure of your target before you touch that safety and trigger.  Practice gun safety and safe hunting techniques until they're second nature. 
And if you don't want your kids to watch those shows, don't let them.  The only purpose of those shows is to entertain and get ratings.