Author Topic: Binoculours with glasses  (Read 920 times)

Offline Star1pup

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Binoculours with glasses
« on: December 22, 2006, 02:50:37 AM »
Why doesn't someone make binouculors that I can use without removing my glasses?  Especially a pair that will not need me to motgage the house.  It sure is a pain trying to hold the eyeglasses in one hand and focus with other without dropping my gun.

Offline Dave in WV

Re: Binoculours with glasses
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2006, 01:23:59 PM »
How much can you spend? I have a binocular that cost $300 and they work great for me. Bushnell Legends cost less and would work for me too.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2006, 01:41:23 PM »
I've been using binos with glasses for years, the latest are 8x40 Nikon Monarch ATBs  for the last 6-7yrs or so, never take my glasses off and they work great while packing a rifle with no sling, I just cradle the rifle in my arm and bring em up to my eyes. I do use a bino harness, that makes a big difference in keeping them handy for use. You need to roll the eye cups down so you have a decent FOV. Optics that have more eye relief will be better for eye glass wearers, the Nikons have about 20mm.

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline EsoxLucius

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2006, 04:46:31 PM »
Usually eye relief 17mm or over is sufficient for eyeglass wearers.  There are a plethora of binoculars under $300 that work for eyeglass wearers.  What is your budget?  Do you prefer porro or roof prism binoculars?
We learn something new everyday whether we want to or not.

Offline Star1pup

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2006, 02:51:23 AM »
I can do the $300, but that would be about my limit.  I like that harness.  I once used a similar one for my cameras before I retired.  I also found that I could just use the camera strap and then sew snaps into a piece of wide elastic.  I ran the elastic around my back and clipped it into the D-rings on each side of the camera strap.  It also provided some support to take olut shake with longer lenses.

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2006, 04:01:13 AM »
Check out The Optic Zone's prices.
 8x32 Bushnell Legend  $239
 8x42 Bushnell Legend  $249     ( my son, "High Brass" , has them and loves them )
 7x42 Bushnell Discoverer $329  ( I have the same with the B&L label and love them )
 8x42 Nikon Monarch $249  ( some here at GBO love them and some don't )

10x is the most magnification the average person can hold steady enough to use without a rest. The Rain Guard Bushnell has on the Legend and Discoverer binoculars really does work in wet/cold weather. For dim light an exit pupil diameter of at least 4mm is desirable and an exit pupil of 4mm or greater causes less eye strain when glassing. Buy as good as you can afford and use them for many years if cared for properly. Young eyes can compensate for lesser quality optics but time and age are not forgiving.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2006, 05:59:58 AM »
That harness is from Cabela's, My son and my huntin partner both use em and love em too! They make a world of difference in how they feel, you never feel the weight and they don't swing around when you duck under a limb.

Bino Harness

I bough the 8x32 Legends from Jon at The Optic Zone last year, he loves them too!

http://theopticzone.com/searchresult.aspx?CategoryID=93

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Star1pup

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2006, 06:28:31 AM »
I''' check oput the optic zone.  I think I bought a scope from them a couple of years ago.  I'll use the binos mostly when following my mountain cur squirrel dog.  She's just 3 months old now so I have a little time.  I just bought an air rifle so I need to wait a bit before spending more money.  Maybe a couple of months.

Offline EsoxLucius

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2006, 02:58:46 PM »
Also check out, meaning look before you buy:
Celestron Noble 8x42mm  $277
Eagle Optics Ranger SRT 8x42mm (you can see them at your local Wild Birds Unlimited) $299, probably the best roof prism binoculars for $300 or less.  Except perhaps the Minox BL 8x42 BR for $299 on sale.
Vortex Sidewinder 8x42mm $190
Olympus Magellan EXWP I 8x42mm $190
Audubon Equinox HP 8x42mm $249
Stokes Talon 8x42mm $180

Offline Star1pup

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2006, 01:45:12 AM »
I really think I should try to find a local outlet so I could look through them before buying, even if I have to pay a little more.  Maybe I'll head to Cabela's in Wheeling, WV.

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2006, 01:08:25 PM »
Star1 - great idea to go look and feel some different models.

After getting a lot of good advice here I did just that. Lots of recommendations for the Bushnell Legend 8x32 were given.  They are pretty good but after looking thru the Leupold Katmai 8x32, I can't settle for less. The Leupolds were MUCH  clearer and lighter and given the durability of their scopes, I expect as much from the binocs.  So I'm  saving and waiting to see what's left on the Master Card after Christmas to get on Optic Zone's site to order the Leupolds.

NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline EsoxLucius

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2006, 01:49:11 PM »
Any thing you order from Eagle Optics you can look at for 30 days and return them no questions asked.  You look at the Minox or the EO Ranger SRT and they probably won't be going back.  You can also look at the EO Ranger SRT at your nearest Wild Birds Unlimited.

Offline KMS49

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2007, 10:51:09 AM »
I Wear Both Glasses and Contacts, and i found the Nikon monarch ATB's to work well with both, they have the twist up eye cups  for just that problem

Offline kyelkhunter3006

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2007, 12:57:51 PM »
I've got a pair of the Bushnell Legends, 8x32, and they work great while I have my glasses on.  I'm an oddball, because I've only got one bad eye, due to a childhood injury.  My right eye has perfect vision, so my glasses have one corrective lense and the other is just for looks.  After I focus the binocs with the diopter adjustment, using the focus knob is no problem.

Offline Val

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2007, 04:45:29 AM »
I have a pair of Leupold Wind River Cascades that I have been using wearing glasses for years. You need a pair with long eye relief. They are under $300 and I'm very happy with them.
Hunting and fishing are not matters of life or death. They are much more important than that.

Offline Ahab

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2007, 04:56:34 AM »
I'm 67, the Monarch's and Bushnell Legends all worked well for me but I really like my new phase coated Pentax 8x36 roof prisms. Nice light and easy to carry and have the adjustable eye glass shields.
NRA Endowment
Arizona Bighorn Sheep Society member
Arizona Antelope Foundation member

Offline OLDHandgunner

• A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2007, 02:48:12 AM »
I've worn glasses all my life and have had the same problem with binoculars. My wife doesn't wear glasses so this creates another problem. Then a few years back we dicided to find a good quaility binocular that would work with glasses & without glasses. We tried out most all of the brands and keep coming back to the Nikon Monarch ATB 8x42. These work the best for me & my wife for hunting & recreation. Now I'm going to purchase another pair of Nikon Monarchs ATB in 10 or 12 power.